My time is up... :(

PhilSharp

Any answers welcome, my time is up…

It’s an exciting day when one finally realizes that there’s an inkling of hope in trying to get out of South Africa and immigrate to Australia. All the feelings of doubt and worrying about the crazy process one has to go through -and all those documents and forms one needs to have completed, crossing all the T’s and dotting all the I’s - to be able to finally ‘get-in’. Sure we all have our very real reasons for getting the heck out of South Africa, like for most of us it’s just about a safer future for our kids and us – but sometimes it all just goes wrong <my L Sadface>. I guess I’m just venting a bit in here – but I do want to actually pose a few valid questions to some likeminded people or possibly someone else that’s found themselves in a similar situation as I’m in now. Frustrations aside, having scoured the plethora of websites like seek, careerone, hays, mycareer.com and even putting up a decent profile on LinkedIn and applying for more than a few hundred jobs via that route – I’ve got nothing, still had no real luck at finding a sponsored job so that I’d be able to move my family to Aussie. I honestly think I’ve left it too late now to even to go the normal immigration visa route as I turn the dreaded 45yrs of age in April next year and will lose the needed points, and I’ve just looked up the ILETS waiting list and it’s already into December 2014..! (Wtf’s going on?? Everyone’s running…lol - So even if I had all the documents done and can make the 60 point minimum, I’d only have like 3 months ‘in-the-EOI-pool’ before my age catches up with me and my ‘points’ drop-out…) – my own silly fault really, just got bogged down with life in general and at work running projects and such, as do we all… I can’t however shake the feeling like I’ve been fighting with one arm tied behind my back and that how can this be the only way out of RSA– so if you’re not one of the lucky few that’s managed to get a sponsored job – well you might end up feeling like you’ve missed your opportunity just like me, apologies for the reality slap! (So if you’ve any doubt left about applying and what’s the best time to do it, blah, blah – don’t think about it just go for it, do it and do it now as I’m kicking myself daily, well more like beat myself up mentally at night and during the day at work..) So before I turn this into a book frigging long-winded sob sorrows – your choices basically boil down to 2 options – Get a sponsored Job and all your troubles are more or less gone (Visa points cut-off wise anyway J), or go via the Skills Select EOI program and apply for a visa via that minefield of a route. (Yes you can do it alone or use an agent, an agent will distress everything and they really know the process…my advice is to use one!) So this next portion of my post is to anyone who thinks they have another answer for me please – any answer on this one please share: My 1st question is - are there any other options out there other than EOI and sponsorship? My 2nd question is: (What I’m proposing does have a degree of risk I think, and I in no way condone/endorse this) What if I went over on a holiday visa to visit my sister in WA, then do a few interviews and try get a job that way? Do you think this would work? (As for me/us it feels like my options are done.)

Can’t help but feel like my chances are over and my time is up… – has anyone else had any luck applying for a sponsored job? (PM me if you’d like… )

Thanks.

• Like 1

Try contacting Heartland Immigration. They are agents that work with one of the recruitment companies we deal with in New Zealand. It's not Australia but it's a way out.

My 2nd question is: (What I’m proposing does have a degree of risk I think, and I in no way condone/endorse this) What if I went over on a holiday visa to visit my sister in WA, then do a few interviews and try get a job that way? Do you think this would work? (As for me/us it feels like my options are done.)

Can’t help but feel like my chances are over and my time is up… – has anyone else had any luck applying for a sponsored job? (PM me if you’d like… )

Thanks.

PhilSharp

There is hope boet, all is not lost... I'll share my 10 cents (ZAR) worth. You don't mention what line of work you are in?

Philsharp,

One glimmer of hope mate, your EOI doesnt "run out" when you turn 45. Your age at the date of submission is "locked in" Send a message to SD_MOA, he is a genius with this stuff. What I am saying is if you are 44 at the time if lodgement of your EOI, that is the age the system will use.

• Like 1

Hello Surferman,

Thanks for the compliment!

I am afraid that your age is only locked in once you have been invited to apply. If your age ticks over with your EOI in the pool then I am afraid you lose access to those points.

Regards

• Like 1

Oh bugger! Then he better ring up one Stevo! Credit is due where it is deserved mate, you give lots of advice on the forum, and that in turn benefits many. Sure you pick up some leads from it, but you offer your experience free when its asked for, and that in my books counts for a lot.

Umm.. Isn't the regional visa age cut-off still 50?

"Generally, applicants under the RSMS need to be less than 50 years of age, meet a certain level of English language proficiency and have qualifications and skill requirements relevant to the nominated occupation."

Or are these visas not happening any more? Sorry guys I'm not familiar with skilled visas but I always thought for eg. Adelaide took skilled people up to 50?

Or is the problem that you lose a vital 5 points when you turn 45?

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

I'll lose the vital points when I turn 45yrs old... :( it's a sad story indeed. - I've actually been in touch with Stephen, and he's given some good advice.

@ Neels - I'm in ICT -been in Management and lead roles for the last 6/7yrs - I hold a MSc postgraduate dip in Information Systems Management from the Uni of Liverpool U.K. -thought it would help my plight for Aussie. (not).

Thx for the PM's of support - appreciate it stax.

Mate I still reckon if you pull finger you have a chance. Does your missus not have a skill on the skilled list? Keep swinging buddy!

I wonder how NZ looks at an applicant's age?

Went to look but got side-tracked by this SBS article about Migrants' ages. Note it's a 2 year old article

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2012/10/24/how-old-too-old-become-migrant

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

I wonder how NZ looks at an applicant's age?

Went to look but got side-tracked by this SBS article about Migrants' ages. Note it's a 2 year old article

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2012/10/24/how-old-too-old-become-migrant

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/caniapply/

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

Hi PhilSharp,

We had the same scenario with hubby turning 45 this November. We had no option but to go for the 489 visa as we could only muster up enough points for this visa type. We are just so happy to have been the chance be it on a temporary visa, maybe you could look at this route. Get your A into G and start the process it can be done. Don't get disheartened.

Best of Luck

• Like 1