Into the Cannibal's Pot...

heidim

Question

If you're anything like me, considering immigration, then this is the first thread you'll read. That's how I came across this site, by reading and sometimes re-reading every single topic in this thread. Trying to determine whether people are happier somewhere else, whether it was worth giving it all up.

We have been in Australia for 2 years. It's been the most difficult two years of my life. To be honest, I don't love the place. I never have, hopefully it will grow on me. There has been many times when I wanted to pack the container back to RSA. The problem is the heart vs the brain. I think in my heart I will always long for the South African vibe. However, the longer we stay, the more I realise that going back is just not an option.

I recently finished reading "Into the Cannibal's Pot: Lessons for America from Post-Apartheid South Africa" by Ilana Mercer. Finally, someone has been able to structure my thoughts, to express my feelings in words. Whenever I feel the urge to go back, I will start reading this book again. One chapter is enough of a wake-up call.

Here is a review by Thomas E. Wood (Ph.D), historian:

"The Western press promptly forgot all about South Africa after Nelson Mandela assumed the presidency. The commissars of allowable opinion pretend atrocities have not been taking place, and smear anyone who mentions them. Ilana Mercer will have none of the lies and omissions of the commissars and the cowards. For the sake of white and black South Africans alike, her compelling account deserves a wide and sympathetic audience".

This book is factually based, with all her claims backed by extensive research. By the way, Ilana is also an expat living in the USA now.

If you're anything like me, and you know in the back of your mind immigration is the right thing to do even though it's the last thing you WANT to do, then this book may help making the decision more bearable. I can't say "easy" because nothing about immigration is ever easy..... And if you're considering going back, then do so with eyes wide open...

Good luck, whatever you decide in the end. I do believe that ultimately God is in control.

• Like 10

7 answers to this question

Thank you for posting this. I will try and get my hands on the book you speak about. We leave end November and at the moment we are running around like a chicken without a head.

I hear you when you say it's 'the heart vs the brain' thats exactly how we feel, a part of us knows why we doing this yet another part has doubts. All I know is my hubby's grandfather who was from Belgium and worked for the Belgium consulate first in the Congo then here said that the hardships that hit Africa was going to be like a wave starting at the top of Africa and making its way down to South Africa, and he maintained it was only going to get worse, you just had to look at all the other African countries to see which way we were headed. He passed away many years ago yet he was so wise and had the vision.

I hope for our families who stay that it does not get any worse, but in the meantime we know what we have to do for our family to grow.

May your heart eventually accept Australia as your home. I hope ours can.

Edited by PARKS
  • Like 1

PARKS, what really helped me, was that she used statistics and extensive research to proof what we all think - RSA is going down the path of Zim. A lot of the stuff are things we know, however it is now(for me) confirmed through careful argumentation and analysis. And then there are many revelations that I never knew. This is kinda the list you make of why you're leaving...

It does however make me feel SO SO sad for the people who are stuck there.

I got the electronic version of the book for $9.99 = R100.

I hope it helps someone find a bit of peace during the chaos of migrating.

• Like 1

I hear you when you say it's 'the heart vs the brain' thats exactly how we feel, a part of us knows why we doing this yet another part has doubts.

This discussion has happened several times on this forum. I think the best answer anyone could give was to say its up to you to make Aussie work for you.

I know plenty of migrants who have struggled to meet people here. I am not talking about South Africans exclusively.

But after a lot of persistence, these people make friends. Sure you might go to a lot of "uncomfortable" dinners with people you just don't get a long with. But eventually you come right, if your heart is truly into it.

The same goes for where you live, where you work, your hobbies, etc...

I joke with people and say migration is a bit like marriage. If you are not ready for marriage, there is partner in the world who can make you happy. If you are "ready" then you understand its going to be hard, its not going to be a bed of roses all the time and you need to work hard at it.

The reality is, we all know someone who got married when they weren't ready...

Edited by monsta
  • Like 2

Thanks Monsta,

I have to agree with you. It almost feels wrong to be so excited, all 5 of us are on the same page so hopefully the 'marriage' will be perfect with many happy anniversaries to come.

• Like 1

Great to read your views. Thanks.

I saw this poster somewhere. Not sure how factual but....

When you in doubt refer to poster often.......

post-878-0-31199500-1412282714_thumb.jpg