Update re the closed - Other Family Visas (e.g. non-contributory parent, last remaining relative)

TeeTMI

Please Note - this may not occur.

Senator Hanson-Young (Green Party) has introduced a Disallowance Motion into the Senate. To disallow the piece of legislation which ceased the Non-Contributory Parent, Aged Parent and 'Other Family Visas' (e.g. Carer, Last Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent). It is scheduled for debate on Weds 24th of September 2014 (originally planned for the 2nd of September but was rescheduled).

IF it is successful the piece of legislation ceasing these visa categories will be void allowing their visa applications again. IF that was to occur it is unknown how long the visa category would remain open as the Government may try to close applications again. If you had been caught up in this it would be worth keeping an ear open for any developments.

However, serious consideration as to whether to apply should be taken for applicants for the 'Other Family' category IF they do re-open given the recent DIBP processing time update:

DIBP have reduced the number of places available under the Other Family category to 500 in the 2014-15 financial year. Most of these places will be allocated to the Carer visa category.
DIBP have recently reported (calculations as of 14 Aug 2014) expected queueing times under current processing priorities to be:
Carer Visa (lodged 2014 ) 4.5 years
Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative (lodged 2014) 56 years

56 years!

or 5-6 years? You would be dead before you got your visa. Although if it were the SABC they would dig you up!

Yep, I'm afraid it is 56 years, unfortunately it was not me making a typo. They recently reduced the number of visas being allocated to 'other family' and changed the processing priorities to allocate more visas under the Carer visas (in which the time has reduced).

http://www.immi.gov.au/Live/Pages/family/other-family-visa-queue.aspx

"It is currently estimated that Carer visa applications that were lodged in 2014 and meet the criteria to be queued, are likely to take approximately four and one half years to be released for final processing (calculated from 14 August 2014).

Based on current Planning Levels and the allocation of the majority of the Other Family places to the Carer visa category, it is currently estimated that Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative visa applications that were lodged in 2014 and meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately 56 years to be released for final processing (calculated from 14 August 2014)."

Although I notice they are still saying 16 years on another DIBP page.

https://www.immi.gov.au/Live/Pages/certain-family-visas-closure.aspx

"If you have already applied or apply before the date of cessation of new applications your application will continue to be processed under existing regulations and policy. Note that the Parent and Other Family visas are subject to annual planning levels. In 2014-15, 1500 places have been allocated to Parent and 500 places to Other Family. You can expect to wait up to 13 years for a Parent or Aged Parent visa, four years for a Carer visa and up to 16 years for a Aged Dependent Relative or Remaining Relative visa."

Edited by TeeTMI

Bloody Norah!!!

Thanks TeeTMI, never doubted you for a second!!!!

I have been back to the page a couple of times in case they made a typo and corrected it!

Further update:

I have been informed that if the disallowance motion is successful, there will be a 6 month window during which a new regulation cannot be made that has the same effect.

• Like 1

The Carer and non-contributory parent have shorter (but still long) estimated waiting periods than the last remaining relative visa.

These visas even prior to their closure were low down the list of options given the waiting periods.

The type of person this might assist is someone who has no other options available to join their family and where for example they are eligible to make an onshore application. Even then it is not ideal and any of these options need major thought on the pros and cons if being considered.

Alternatively a relatively young parent offshore who is currently in no rush but would eventually like to move over and would rather pay the lower application fee.

Well this was one that hit us personally, I had wanted to bring my two sisters over, but no such luck. When we checked this out, quite a few years ago, we were told it could be plus minus 20 years. As my eldest sister was approaching 75, it made no sense whatsoever!

Would have worked for my hubby though, he is the eternal optimist and says he is going to live till he turns 150! :jester:

• Like 1

Surferman, I had hoped so, but no, by the time we return to NZ they will be around 80 and 75 respectively, so not much chance of them being able to make a move then, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Oh Mara,

It's a bugger. I will for all intents and purposes never set eyes on my father again and it hurts, real bad. But I take succour in the fact that others will see him, and that in all the factors considered, it was a wise choice.

I suffered my first criminal act last week (In Aus), and had my car keyed. Whoop te frigging Doo. In SA, my insurance would've said, investigation time bay! Lol. Here, in three days I got the footage...but sorry the perp was out fo picture.thats life, like B's brothers experience...

The first burglary we ever suffered in our lives, took place in Melbourne two weeks before we moved out of our rental into our first built home. It was around a year after we arrived here. Fortunately they must have been interrupted as all they took was the video, some foreign cash, and my computer and printer. We actually counted ourselves very fortunate, we had made it really easy for them, literally everything we had was already packed into boxes for the move. Everything, except the cash, was replaced by the insurance within a week.

You can imagine the reaction from those in RSA, upon hearing the news.

Yeah, no doubt they bagged Aus in one foul swoop. We got robbed so many time in SA that our insurance got to 8k a month. And that was after all the bells n whistles like fence, cameras, sensors, beams, private armed guard on premise etc. Here I have a wooden fence and manual gate, lol. Love it.

A quick update for any one waiting for news - the motion did not get heard yesterday and has been re-scheduled for today.

Further Update: Senator Hanson-Young's disallowance motion against the Migration Amendment which ceased a range of visas including the non-contributory parent, aged dependent, carer and last remaining relative was successful.

Therefore, these visas can now be lodged again. There will likely be further information on this later today or tomorrow.

• Like 3

Wow that's amazing.

I never thought I'd say this but go the Greens.

Please witness a politician delivering something other than a speech.