My First 7 days in Australia

Elliottdean

Hello all

I posted a while ago (4 days to go) and now would like to share my experiences after (7 days in Australia)

To all those who still have to make the move, prepare yourselves, the emotional bit is still to come. I truly only felt the impact of saying goodbye on the very day I travelled and even more so on my first night alone. Don't underestimate the emotional "hangover" as it is about as sure to come as a normal hangover after a good night on the town.

I certainly do recommend you make the move with someone and not alone as this would make it so much easier. It is not always possible to do this, but if you can then I would recommend it. Needless to say that doing it alone is totally possible and you just need to have a little more grit and you will get there.

So after landing at the airport with no sim for my phone or a laptop (talk about challenge) I managed to get onto the airport wifi with an old simless phone so I could at least get word home that I had arrived safely. Collected my rental car and switched on my GPS, found apartment ok. Fortunately a coffee shop was still open across the road so supper was sorted.

First two days I managed to get all my admin done (thanks to a very efficient society in Brisbane and lots of homework that I did in RSA)

I managed to Register my online govnt profile, apply for a TFN, bought and loaded a Go Card, Registers for Medicare, Activated my new bank cards, bought a new cell phone, collect my new laptop at the office and converted my SA license to a Queensland one.

Oh yes and I re-learned to WALK - you di this all the time in the city, walk walk walk, ha ha going to get supa fit!

Since then I have visited a few outlying suburbs (not going to stay in the city too long) and have bought my first car (today)

As far as cars go, you should shop around and negotiate as I managed to get $2000 off the first price quoted and about $5000 off the internet price on a new small car.

Well all I can say is that each day the surroundings become more familiar and routine easier so here's to the next 7 days, weeks, month and years...

Good luck to those moving soon, remember we are all learning and this is an exiting adventure we must embrace.

best regards

Dean

• Like 14

Good luck Dean, looks like you are doing well, we did much the same all the admin, bank phone, medicare on days 2-3, came with wife and 2x kids...it does help to have someone to talk to.....I am also in Brisbane and I am working in the city, I am on my 3rd job in less than a year.... :whome: no AA here... I think I have found my best job yet and plan to stay put this time. Almost been here a year and really enjoying it.

Cheers

ShannonE

• Like 1

Very nice Dean! All the very best. You've come into some great weather. Hopefully you'll still be in the city for Riverfire next week?

http://www.brisbanefestival.com.au/whats-on/sunsuper-riverfire

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

All the best Dean. Am very keen to hear how you negotiated those huge discounts on the car. Did you offer cash payment?

All the best Dean. Am very keen to hear how you negotiated those huge discounts on the car. Did you offer cash payment?

In case you don't know, as well as cars, you should negotiate on all big purchases (and many little ones). Washing machines, toasters or whatever...

Good luck with this adventure :)

In case you don't know, as well as cars, you should negotiate on all big purchases (and many little ones). Washing machines, toasters or whatever...

Thanks for that tip Fish! Will have to sharpen my negotiation skills. :blush-anim-cl:

Awesome Dean

Thanks for the heads-up. Best of luck with all that the future may hold. Keep us posted.

Thanks so much for sharing Dean! I'm making the trip alone myself in Nov, and this weekend was the first time I felt any kind of emotion... Just been task driven. I keep telling myself it's going to get harder, but also that I know I'll be fine!

Best of luck!

Good luck Dean. It sounds as if you are on top of everything :)

Hey all, thanks for the kind words.

Yep I agree with Fish, it always pays to shop around. compare prices of the same item at different shops/dealers (sometimes it only takes a phone call or email)

and the rewards are really worth it. Especially at R10/$1

All the best

Dean

• Like 1

Hey batsie.

Hopefully this is not hijacking the thread guys :)

- wait for the 'run-out' specials from around September - dealers trying to move this years model before they become last years model!

- go in close-to the end of the month as the Sales team want to meet their target

- if you buy, then ensure that there is one on their floor that you want - this will help with negotiations as they know they can get you in the car within days

- jump onto carsales.com.au (news cars are advertised on there as well as second-hand) and find the cheapest new car that you want. Then use that price as your barter-start price with your local dealer

- the sales guy will play games with you (if he is any good that is) creating urgency and excitement - the sales game is all about emotion and that is why they want you to drive the car before the negotiations start. They want you to feel good about the experience, the smell, the feel, the rush!

-They do not want you to walk away without signing you up so you have to create the impression that you are serious, that you need to buy today and that you will be seeing a few other dealers today - this will get them shaking with excitement. It's a game, a battle of wills if you like.

- don't be shy to push hard. Then, once you have agreed on a rock-bottom price tell him that you will think about it and get up. He will want you to sit down again pronto! ... he wants the deal, can taste the deal and does not want it to slip away

- if you are happy with the price etc, tell him you will sign-up if he chucks in car mats and fills the tank

- don't fall for their next trick .... they will try and upsell you with 'overall interior/exterior protection', window tinting, etc etc -- > you can get all this for half-price down the road

- lastly, I suggest you do not use the dealer's finance company as they will attempt to sting you badly on interest rate and try to upsell you on insurance and all sorts of other stuff that you may not need!

- example: I was offered a 'fantastic 8.75%' interest rate. I then contacted '360Financial' and got mid 5% without negotiating. Called Toyota back and they miraculously got me 6.54% ...... no thank-you was my answer to them. I don't believe you will get a better deal than 360Financial - based in Brisbane but do deals over phone and email - from application to money in Toyotas account was 24 hours with me

- insurance? ... I reckon Suncorp - a touch dearer than the others but when it comes to claim time then they come to the party - again, you can negotiate with them over the phone! .... if you have more than one car with them then you automatically get a 15% discount!

- remember, this is the only chance you have because once the deal is done, they have you over a barrell for a long time if you have financed it

I hope this helps :D

Edited by Craig01
  • Like 4

Hey batsie.

Hopefully this is not hijacking the thread guys :)

- wait for the 'run-out' specials from around September - dealers trying to move this years model before they become last years model!

- go in close-to the end of the month as the Sales team want to meet their target

- if you buy, then ensure that there is one on their floor that you want - this will help with negotiations as they know they can get you in the car within days

- jump onto carsales.com.au (news cars are advertised on there as well as second-hand) and find the cheapest new car that you want. Then use that price as your barter-start price with your local dealer

- the sales guy will play games with you (if he is any good that is) creating urgency and excitement - the sales game is all about emotion and that is why they want you to drive the car before the negotiations start. They want you to feel good about the experience, the smell, the feel, the rush!

-They do not want you to walk away without signing you up so you have to create the impression that you are serious, that you need to buy today and that you will be seeing a few other dealers today - this will get them shaking with excitement. It's a game, a battle of wills if you like.

- don't be shy to push hard. Then, once you have agreed on a rock-bottom price tell him that you will think about it and get up. He will want you to sit down again pronto! ... he wants the deal, can taste the deal and does not want it to slip away

- if you are happy with the price etc, tell him you will sign-up if he chucks in car mats and fills the tank

- don't fall for their next trick .... they will try and upsell you with 'overall interior/exterior protection', window tinting, etc etc -- > you can get all this for half-price down the road

- lastly, I suggest you do not use the dealer's finance company as they will attempt to sting you badly on interest rate and try to upsell you on insurance and all sorts of other stuff that you may not need!

- example: I was offered a 'fantastic 8.75%' interest rate. I then contacted '360Financial' and got mid 5% without negotiating. Called Toyota back and they miraculously got me 6.54% ...... no thank-you was my answer to them. I don't believe you will get a better deal than 360Financial - based in Brisbane but do deals over phone and email - from application to money in Toyotas account was 24 hours with me

- insurance? ... I reckon Suncorp - a touch dearer than the others but when it comes to claim time then they come to the party - again, you can negotiate with them over the phone! .... if you have more than one car with them then you automatically get a 15% discount!

- remember, this is the only chance you have because once the deal is done, they have you over a barrell for a long time if you have financed it

I hope this helps :D

Thanks Craig this is definitely going to help in negotiating a good deal. Appreciated.

Great advice there Craig01.

When we bought our last new car, my wife and I agreed - we would spend as much time in the dealership as neccesary to get a good deal. Took 4 hours of negotiating in the end, but we walked out having saved nearly $8,000 from their initial "low offer" and getting roof racks, window tint and floor mats thrown in.

I saw it as a challenge. Four hours of work is nothing when we're talking $8k. I had done my homework before that and I made him know I would hand over the cash today if he met my price.

Lots of back and forth, lots of "let me go speak to my manager" and then of course, the manager comes and has to "ring the regional manager" - it's all a game. They know what they can let a car go for, it's just about finding that point.

I'm useless at bartering at flea markets, but when it comes to a new car, I really enjoy it. If you know what car you want and you have your price, there is always another dealer who might accept your price.

Fun!

Heh heh, it's fun! When I was looking, I tried a car broker who guaranteed they would not be beaten. When I rang him afterward and told them I beat their "best" price by $3k, he told me I was lying.

I know I'm banging my own drum here, but I'm still proud of my bargain :)

• Like 1

It's not drum banging dude! It's cold fact. You are a machine and the envy of every Indian!!! Nice to have that kind of talent!!

• Like 1

Hahah. I wouldn't call it talent - I'm not a natural batterer, I think it's just stubbornness!

• Like 1

Sheesh when my husband bought his car I was so embarrased after half an hour, I went & sat outside ?. I'm not going with him again!

Solid tips from Craig01/ Dean, I will have to remember this thread