Opportunity to Comment Border Fees Review

TeeTMI

Review of Border Fees including Visa Application Charges, 17 September 2014

The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (ACBPS) has commenced a review into Australia's border-related fees on behalf of the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection Scott Morrison said today.

For full release

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm217887.htm

Information will be available at Joint Review of Border Fees, Charges and Taxes a dedicated webpage which will also provide an opportunity for public comments. Closing date 31 October

Members of the public can comment via a link at http://www.customs.gov.au/feesreview/

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know which way this is going.

• Revenue derived from visas amounts to $3.0bn per annum.
  • Cost of securing the border amounts to $6.0bn per annum.
  • The mandate of the Fees Review is "to produce a budget neutral outcome, in terms of any cost to revenue"
  • The goal of the Fees Review is to "ensure the costs of maintaining the integrity of our border are appropriately shared with those who use it."

Hi Orphan,

They make Lots from us. I reckon if you say $3520 and multiply by 112 000 applicants, it's only $392 odd million. But if you make it a family of four, and average it to $10000 a hit, it becomes a more respectful $1, 120 billion. Thing is, it is unfair I reckon to yoke immigrants for the other cost areas. But the goal is unchanged, they will hike the fees.

Australia is the destination of choice for skilled migration.

That means you can charge lots and have lots of pre-conditions before the quality of applicant goes down.

Double the fee, and while the quality of applicant may go down, it will not be significant.

18, I'm sure the quality of the applicant will go UP, not DOWN. If I look at it, only highly skilled people can really afford the move. The higher the cost, the less chance you get a lower grade immigrant.

Your thoughts?