457 Visa questions: Please help

Katrol

Hello Everyone

We have been really fortunate to secure a company very keen on sponsoring us. They lodged an application with Immi yesterday to become an authorised business sponsor. Has anyone got any ideas it takes for this application to be completed? I have googled my fingers off, but cant get an estimate. One day, One week, One Month....no idea.

The other thing is, I will be doing the application myself as getting an agent is just too expensive and trying to cut costs where we can. Is there anyone that has done a 457 visa themselves that I can get some advise from when the time arrives to submit.

Thank you so much. A million things racing through my head.

Heya

The company i work for just re-registered to sponsor and it took just under 3 months to get it all done

Not sure if a first application will take longer though

Hi Nev

Thank you so much for your response. Really appreciate it. Just gives me something to work with. They have sponsored before.

Cool shout if you have any other questions, i arrived on a 457 and have done a lot of reading up on it, not an agent but happy to discuss

Nev, you are a star. Thank you. I might take you up on that offer. Done a lot of research, seems easy enough but sure there will be one or two things I will need clarification on.

Wow Surferman, that sounds promising. Thank you for your reply.

Katrol, most of those that I know with a 457 had the sponsoring company do their visa application and paid for it. Have you discussed this with your sponsoring company?

Katrol, most of those that I know with a 457 had the sponsoring company do their visa application and paid for it. Have you discussed this with your sponsoring company?

Mine didnt. :-(

Hi Mara

Yip, unfortunately they do not use an agent for their application and nomination so if we want to use an agent, it is for our expense. Unfortunately it is quite a lot after getting quotes so decided to do it myself.

I thought the sponsoring company was obliged to pay for the visa.

There are 2 components to the 457 visa. One is the sponsors part, which they have to pay in order to be a sponsor. And the second part is the applicant's bit. Some employers have been paying that, but most dont.

Mine wanted me to pay it, to show that I am dedicated.

Apparently have paid other people's visas in the past, and then on number 99 they pulled out, leaving the employer without employee and massively out of pocket. By paying a significant portion, they were sure that i was committed, and likely to actually come...

The 457 is a whole different kettle of fish than the PR that most people on the forum applies for.

One advantage is that it was absolutely no problem to get a rental. Once they saw my letter of proof of employment, they were throwing properties at me! ;-)

But there are many more disadvantages. It takes a lot of kahunas to go to Aus on a 457!

Hey Katrol,

That is so exciting, so glad you managed to find a sponsor. Best of luck.

But there are many more disadvantages. It takes a lot of kahunas to go to Aus on a 457!

Why do you say this Eyebrow? I lost my kahunas running a business is RSA... :blush-anim-cl: now I'm worried... lol

Katrol - we are also doing the 457 route - and I pay for everything including the agent (except the employers part), mainly because they were bitten by a South African who pulled out at 99 as Eyebrow said above, and they lost a good bit of money. But I'll get most of it back. I think you should be okay working on about 4 weeks for the sponsorship approval number for the company, the another 8 to 12 weeks for the rest. You can lodge the nomination and the visa application at the same time.

But be warned, when you do it yourself, and you have a slip-up with one document or something you did lodge wasn't correct, it's gonna put you back another couple of weeks.. Best of luck mate!

• Like 1

Hi Katrol, we are currently being sponsored for our 457 (to Sydney) and it has taken a few weeks to get all our documents in order but finally everything was lodged with Australian immi on Monday so holding thumbs that things will go pretty smoothly from now. We have been working through the companies Immigration Lawyer but with the time delays you lose a couple of days inbetween requesting certain docs. We are now awaiting our HAP ID's so we can do our health examinations. Be prepared for a few hidden costs, on the 457 you have to arrange healthcare over there (we have gone through Iman) before you even apply for your visa. You have to pay upfront which cost us R2500 for a family of 4 but we will be covered for the first month on arrival and then we continue to pay monthly from there. We also have to pay for our medicals which as to be done through an accredited medical examiner, in Durban it is Shipmed at Entabeni , their website gives you the costs.

Good luck and if I can help in any way. It is all very overwhelming for us but we are committed to this process and will see it through and hopefully everything will work out as it should !

Take care

xx :D

Geez you're lucky Durbangirl,

We are currently being knobbed for 1100 a month by IMAN for cover, but that's the top of the range one, and will drop by about 500 when we get PR.

Geez you're lucky Durbangirl,

We are currently being knobbed for 1100 a month by IMAN for cover, but that's the top of the range one, and will drop by about 500 when we get PR.

Surfer why d'you have such expensive cover? We paid less than $500 pm (also for just on 4 years) before we got PR. We had kids' braces & everything for that. We never even used a quarter of the benefits.

Surfer why d'you have such expensive cover? We paid less than $500 pm (also for just on 4 years) before we got PR. We had kids' braces & everything for that. We never even used a quarter of the benefits.

Jip, we are with Bupa, family of 4 for just under Au$400 p/m, with all the bells and bling...

Hey B,

Always been a believer in top end cover...when we got here it was 500 a month. IMAN are exempt from normal regulations regarding annual increases due to immigration rules. It makes them huge profit. Word is about 70-85% gross profit on the average jimmy grant. Lol

Hey B,

Always been a believer in top end cover...when we got here it was 500 a month. IMAN are exempt from normal regulations regarding annual increases due to immigration rules. It makes them huge profit. Word is about 70-85% gross profit on the average jimmy grant. Lol

You should maybe consider switching funds. You take your waiting periods served with you, so that's not a problem. You're paying double what you have to. Seeerious.

• Like 1