Brisbane relocation advice

JoSneeds

Hi there, we are relocating from perth to brisbane in the next 3 months, could any brisbane peeps please advise on which surburbs best match our needs, as listed below. Many thanks.

4x2 with study and pool. Level safe enclosed garden. Pref single story, security screens on all doors and windows, aircon. Modern huge kitchen and bathrooms. Pantry/scullery. Middle to upperclass professional but family friendly suburb, with excellent gov and non religious private schools, primary and high. Not in flooding or brushfire zones. Safe, secure, friendly. Less than 20km to cbd with reasonable commute (car). Plenty of living and entertaining space, decent neighbours. Rent $600 to $800pw, buy $600k to $800k depending on location and the individual property. Happy to paint internal and do new flooring but no other reno's, and outside must be done already. Pet friendly (indoor cat and dog who need a safe enclosed outdoor area too).

We've done lots of research however I'd prefer suggestions from locals.

Regards

• Like 1

On the West you could look around Fig Tree Pocket and Chapel Hill areas. We have a lot of Queenslanders & double storeys in Brisbane...single storey maybe a little less popular. To the South I like Graceville and Chelmer etc. Many parts of Brisbane within 10kms of the city did experience some flooding in 2011, but I do believe it was a man made error which won't be repeated in a hurry. You can check on the official flood maps for specific streets if it's a major deal to you. The suburbs I've mentioned are close to the city with generally good transport links & excellent schools. The areas I mention should get you the type of house you describe, to rent or buy. I'm not that familiar with North or East...

Ps. Stay away from the highway, or the noise will drive you mad.

Pps. The closer you get to Christmas, the harder it will be to find a good rental.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

Thanks Bronwyn, fig tree pocket and chapel hill are both on my short list, so glad to hear you recommend the areas, the others on my short list are pullenvale, wakerley and the gap.

Thanks Bronwyn, fig tree pocket and chapel hill are both on my short list, so glad to hear you recommend the areas, the others on my short list are pullenvale, wakerley and the gap.

All good areas. The further West up Moggill Rd you go, the heavier the traffic will be into the city, btw. We like FTP because there are back roads we use to avoid Moggill. Traffic here is said to be pretty minor compared to some other states though ?

No prob SurferMan, we've narrowed it down to fig tree pocket (fig tree pocket state school) and wakerley (gumdale state school). I'm loving fig tree but wakerley is similar to ballito in Durbs and hillarys in perth. Going to go for a look see in the next few weeks, will post my impressions after... My cousin is also a surfer and he's loving the Gold Coast..

• Like 1

For approx the first 5-7km in Brisbane you will find Queenslander style pre-WWII character homes. Examples:

Pre WWII

facades.jpg

brisbane-house.jpg

Inside they can be old and run down, extremely modern and stylish and everything in between. If you see a lot of run down ones you are in too low a price bracket. The most expensive suburbs are generally in this zone.

Post WWII

The next ring of suburbs out to approx 10km is post WWII simpler weatherboard and tile houses. Many of these were made for returning WWII soldiers. Example:

470morningside,0.jpg

Some of these have been renovated very nicely and because they are not character homes and a little further out offer lower prices.

Late 1960's, 1970's:

From 10km (very approx, depends on side of city) it changes to 2 storey late 1960's, 1970's brick with living all upstairs and garage and laundry downstairs. The downstairs would often have a home made rumpus (play) room and an extra bedroom for a grandparent or something. Example:

main.jpg

Many of these houses are quite unattractive outside, but some have been improved. The insides are often far better than you expect and large decks are often added to the rear. The houses are probably quite solid.

1980's:

In the 1980's, around 12km out, the next wave began. Example:

House_front.jpg

It is during this period that many low set single storey houses appeared. You can tell they are 1980's/early 1990's because they have 2 separate garage doors rather than 1 large one. Also the brick styles give it away.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 3

1990's:

-412394.jpg

It is during the 80's and 1990's period that 2 storey houses almost all switched the general living areas from upstairs to downstairs, and the bedrooms went upstairs. Example:

07931118.jpg

e1nznnvyubn79aabqn4j3zhbh.jpg

This generally means your outdoor eating area continues out from the ground floor to a covered pergola, rather than a deck on the 1st floor like the houses with raised/upstairs living areas.

2000's onwards:

Many 2 storey and single storey modern homes of varying tastefulness:

slider1.jpg

(Reproduction queenslander home)

4-Plymouth-Crt-Front-AFTER.jpg

main.jpg

brisbane-builders.jpg

main.jpg

65rhqesuphh2xvmbget8pje0k.jpg

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Wow, thanks for the excellent info fish, much appreciated.

I've fallen in love with the renovated queenslanders in camp hill and seven hills.. The schools seem well rated too. Does anyone know how these suburbs compare with chapel hill, fig tree pocket and wakerley?

Wow, thanks for the excellent info fish, much appreciated.

I've fallen in love with the renovated queenslanders in camp hill and seven hills.. The schools seem well rated too. Does anyone know how these suburbs compare with chapel hill, fig tree pocket and wakerley?

Jo I've never been to Camp Hill, Wakerley or Seven Hills, but I go to the other two every day. I think the houses in FTP & Chapel Hill are generally newer so you may not find a true renovated Queenslander. Try Graceville, Chelmer & Sherwood for those? Also possibly Ashgrove & Paddington. There are also excellent transport links from all of those.

If you're still looking at Pullenvale, many people moved grand old Queenslanders onto big country blocks there. Prices have come down quite a lot too since we looked in 2010. Very nice out there but you can't rely much on public transport. I think one bus per hour.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Who knows good suburbs on or near a decent beach?

cottesloe :). Brisbane is a river city, not a beach city. Brisbane has a few lovely massive offshore islands that create a giant bay. The bay is used for boating, fishing, diving, houseboats, nature reserves etc but of course the downside, if you are into beaches, is that you have to go north or south of these islands to get beaches.

The only spot that has half decent bayside (no surf) beaches is Redcliffe. The other option is the surf beaches of bribie island which has a bridge to the mainland.

Big beach lovers tend to live on the gold or sunshine coasts. Brisbane people go to the beach at southbank or drive to the coast every now and then. Brisbane life is centered around the city, mountains and river.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Thanks buddy,

Nice to get honest Intel like this. I reckon we will be in Brissie in under six months. So from what you are saying, get a nice house with a pool and view, but the beach is for weekends. What kind of a drive is it from Bribie Island to the CBD mate?

Thanks buddy,

Nice to get honest Intel like this. I reckon we will be in Brissie in under six months. So from what you are saying, get a nice house with a pool and view, but the beach is for weekends. What kind of a drive is it from Bribie Island to the CBD mate?

I think it is around 1 hr but I'm an inner city soul myself so probably wrong :)