Concerned mother...

4viljoens

My son is 3 years old and currently getting speech therapy, as he really struggles to find his words and to express himself. How is the change in language going to effect him? We are planning to move next year and he will be 4 years old. I am concerned that the new language might set him back again... Has any Afrikaans kids experienced any bullying from other kids, if they don't know how to express themselves properly in English? How do the teachers handle/teach Afrikaans kids if they don't yet understand English?

Hi 4v's,

Since your son is currently with a speech therapist maybe you can ask her what she suggests. Maybe you should start taking more English at home or if there is an English class at school maybe he should start the adjustment here to make it quicker in Aus. I am sure he will however adapt quickly. But if you have time why not allow the adjustment to begin in a familiar environment.

It's so hard to know what is best for our kids x

Well that's not very helpful chzaau, I'm sure 4viljoens is well aware what the official language is in Australia!

4viljoens remember that there are a lot of immigrants to Australia who don't speak a word of English. South Africans are lucky in a way as most people get exposed to English on a daily basis and you'll probably be surprised at how much English your boy already understands from tv etc.

The schools are absolutely equipped to handle this and he will get extra assistance. There are even English language schools (there is one in our area) for children to attend for a while until they are confident enough in English to join a mainstream school. But as your boy is still young there won't be any need for this.

Just try to get him into childcare or four year old kinder for a few days a week once you arrive. The teachers will be able to advise you regarding speech therapy as well. Regarding bullying there are loads of kids from various nationalities in Australian schools so don't think you need to worry about that at this age.

It's natural to worry but just go with the flow and get the big things sorted first.

Soon enough you'll struggle to get him to speak Afrikaans!

Edited by Sibella

It simple... start speaking more English to the boy, help him out... you can't wait till you arrive in Australia and then suddenly expect the school to teach the child English while living in a little Afrikaans bubble at the house.

The move to Australia is a big one that has many sacrifice one of them going to be to change over to English because that just how the cookie crumbles.

So to recap. Want to give the child a good chance, then start changing your home over to English now while you already in South Africa, get the child on the road to speaking English soonest...

• Like 1

I thought Australians speak German.... LOL!

Thanks Sibella and Crossingover, appreciate your advice :ilikeit: I will discuss this with the speech therapist. He does know some English words but very limited, and I am now starting to buy more English children's books and CD's. Hopefully that will also help him.

I am sure he will be in good hands when he starts kinder.

Obviously we are starting to speak some English with our children, but it's not all of a sudden changing our home language all at once... We do the best we can, otherwise we won't even be going through the process of immigration...

Thanks chzaau, maybe sometimes a slap in the face is necessary to understand how tough this process really will be....

• Like 1

Jeeeze, chzaau, lay off the useless info. This woman has enough on her plate.

I wasn't going to comment, as I sound like broken record on this topic. Please do not start speaking English to your child, it will do more damage than good. Like mentioned above, ask your speech therapist for a few tips. Speech therapists say they see 4x as many boys as girls, often in the 3/4year range. Some they only see for a short while, so many of my (Aussie) friend's kids need a little help at this age. Another language in your life wont give you a speech problem. Before I had kids (in Aus) I did a fair bit of research about bilingual kids and what to do. The golden rule is to pick your language and stick to it. Consistency is key. Do not let a individual person mix the languages they speak to the child. No problem if Dad speaks Swedish and Mum Zulu and the world around you English. Their brains work it out. There are many of these mixed families around my area where the kids end up speaking/understanding 3 languages. Unless your child has a developmental delay, they should be able to work out the different languages. Saying that, I have two friends (Spanish and Afrikaans) who both have young boys with Downs Syndrome and they are both effortlessly bilingual. As your son will be 4 when arriving, he will be in pre school and not primary school. Pre school is normally 3 days a week from about 9-3pm. The teachers are very used to kids joining the community from all over the globe and have systems in place for kids with very limited English. In my experience, they are pretty fluent in a couple of months and they definitely understand from the first few days. Even if they cant reply very well in those first days, the teachers have ways of letting the child point and show them what they want. There are a few kids around who are selective mutes and they make themselves understood just fine. By the time your son goes to primary school, the next year, he will be correcting your English. In the mean time, I would invest in a few good Disney type movies and watch that from time to time. Nothing like a good movie to teach you a new language, especially at his age when they are like sponges. If your son is a bright kid, with a temporary speech hiccup, I would really not stress about it. By the way, we have never spoken any English to our Aussie born boys (3 and 4,5yrs). Taught them colours, numbers, animals, etc. only in Afrikaans. They figured out for themselves, (via friends, neighbours, books, TV, etc) what they were in English. It gives their brains a little more of a workout than the single language kids, but I think thats a good thing. Nobody has ever said "I wish I didn't use up that space in my brain for that other language, now I cant remember what the Kardashians did last week." :whome:

• Like 1

4viljoens - immigration itself gives you more than enough slaps through the face - you don't need that approach from others when you're looking for reassurance and advise.

Let me tell you two stories. I have a friend here who insist on her Afrikaans bubble (we do too, that's part of who we are). Her two daughters were born in Australia, but they ONLY speak Afrikaans at home. The kids speak Afrikaans. They send them to childcare two days a week to learn English and will increase the days as the kids get older for more exposure.

We raised our kids bilingual from birth - one parent speaking English and one Afrikaans, but our kids spoke Afrikaans when we came over (2&4 at the time). However, due to the fact that we raised them bilingual they understood English so they had it much easier. When we arrived we put them in childcare and that's where they learned most of their English. We only speak Afrikaans at home since we're in Oz. Last year my daughter went to Prep. She's in a public school. She had to attend ESL classes (assistance for English Second Language). The teacher decides whether students need it or not. It was offered free by the school during school hours. At the end of the year she was at a higher reading level than 70% of the class.

This year she is in Year 1. Two weeks ago I had a parent/teacher meeting where she informed me that my daughter is the ONLY student in class to achieve an A for English (class of 24). She asked me whether we spoke Afrikaans at home and I told her yes. She said that because of the many immigrants in this area, they have noticed that those who have a solid first language and then followed by English tend to be very high achievers. She said my daughter was overall a high achiever.

I'm not saying this to tell you how great she is. But I'm saying this to tell you what is possible - from assisted English learning to the only student being able to get an A.

And by the way, she also had speech therapy in RSA for a while, but it was more for wrong pronouncement.

RozelleM is right. Our RSA speech therapist said the same thing, establish one language solidly and then the next. My daughter's teacher also said the same....

Edited by heidim

Thanks rozellem! I was starting to think that I might be doing something wrong...

My son is very bright and just needs a bit of help expressing himself better. I also hear that boys are more prone for speech delays. My daughter is 16 months now and very verbal and already saying about 25 words... but she might also be a bit too eager. LOL!

I've invested in some English educational DVD's and CD's. We sing along to the songs in the car on our way to school and back every day - even though I do most of the singing and my son begs me to stop :blush-anim-cl:

We will probably never change our home language completely, even if we stay in Aus. But I am trying to expose my kids to as much English as possible. My son surprised me the other day while I was busy in the kitchen - he came up to me and said "mamma jy is beautiful" - I almost cried, because I didn't know he could say "beautiful" :D

As any mother I might be stressing about nothing, but want to make sure that my decisions don't set them back in anyway.

Soon enough they will both be Ausies wil real Ausie accents, I am sure of it....

Haidim, you just gave me more reassurance that all will be ok! Thanks!

• Like 1

It will be ok 4Viljoens. I also have 2 stories for you.

1) Friends in Adelaide had 4 children & the youngest little boy had zero English when he started school here. He went into ESL classes & within 6 months he spoke English fine, with a strong Aussie accent

2) Friends in Brisbane spoke only Afrikaans to their baby but by 2,5 he wasn't speaking at all so they thought maybe he was getting too confused & switched to English. He is now turning 4, diagnosed with autism & getting intensive help from his school, speech & occ therapists. He even got an ipad from the govt to help his progress. He is behind but doing great. He has a few words & short sentences ???

• Like 1

Geniet die Afrikaans terwyl dit nog suiwer uitkom! Een van die dae vertel hulle jou van Heitch. (Die ozzies spreek H uit as Heitch). Dit grief my tot in my siel!!!!

• Like 4

Geniet die Afrikaans terwyl dit nog suiwer uitkom! Een van die dae vertel hulle jou van Heitch. (Die ozzies spreek H uit as Heitch). Dit grief my tot in my siel!!!!

My kids know they will get a kick under their @ss if they say Heitch!

• Like 4

Nie alle Aussies doen dit :) Dit is gesê 'n merker van 'n Katolieke onderwys te wees...

• Like 2

Hi

The teachers and schools here are so used to international students that it does not phase them one bit.It takes a call and an appointment and your child is in the school. The teachers are so helpful with helping your child play catch up if they missed a term.Same applies to being off school due to illness.

In the few months we have been here our kids have had children from Switzerland,Austria, China, Japan,and Brazil at their school for a term or a few weeks and they have all been accommodated.

I have heard so many foreign languages at the supermarket and met other South Africans by their accent.It is very cosmopolitan

And to be honest I'm quite sad that only my eldest can still speak some Afrikaans (if she has to), the second can understand some but not speak any (she was a baby when we moved to the UK) and my little Aussie only says 'mamma melkie' in Afrikaans and thank goodness for that!!! :whome::whome:

• Like 1

Mine declare keen interest but it all falls apart as soon as you really want to communicate. Also amusing that as a native English speaker I'm the one who has to do it while my Afrikaans husband just carries on in English!

• Like 2

Not sure you can blame the Catholics for that!

Some do...though blame probably isn't quite the correct word as most Australians are used to both and don't care. More just a tidbit of social history that reflects the blending of Irish and British in Australia.

I think the suggestion is it comes from Irish pronunciation and of course most catholic schools in Australia were Irish run. In Northern Ireland pronouncing it wrong could get you shot as the catholic northern irish pronounced the h and the protestant northern irish didn't. I suggest heidim and bronwyn steer well clear of Ireland :)

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

My son, although an English speaker, has several other issues and the school has been fantastic. He is doing really well, they have rallied round to point us in the right direction for additional support and I couldn't be happier. I had many reasons for moving, I didn't expect this to be one of the benefits.

• Like 2

I think the Catholic schools are full of Italians and they have a particular Aussie accent that includes 'haitch'! So Fish you might have a point with that one.

Btw my inlaws are from the border of Wales (but emigrated to SAfrica 30+ years ago) and they still say it but we steered our poor, confused, multi-cultural kids away from it on purpose (many years before Aus) because we think it sounds dodgy ? ??

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Hello 4viljoens.

I would not worry about your child. Last week a Japanese child was enrolled at my kids' school and she does not speak a single word of English. I don't know how they will handle it but no one seems at all concerned everyone actually seems quite excited about it and are making a big fuss.

• Like 2

Mine declare keen interest but it all falls apart as soon as you really want to communicate. Also amusing that as a native English speaker I'm the one who has to do it while my Afrikaans husband just carries on in English!

Our eldest hated Afrikaans at school & passed it in matric with 51% haha. Now he is 2nd year uni in Brisbane & uses it to somehow impress girls :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

4Viljoens - for what's it worth, I also sometimes struggle to find the right English word at work!! It's normal but at least we can speak more than one language!! The Australians will tell you that it's great to speak more than one language. Your kids will start to speak English in an Aussie accent in less than 6 months. We have 2 Australian born sons and my wife and I only speak Afrikaans at home!

• Like 2