The Fear of the unknown

Gya

Hi Folks,

My 190 was finally granted last month (August'14) after a snail paced application process. Made the decision in 2010 but only filed Feb'14! A lot has changed of course. Added a third born! Just wondering of what exactly to do. Have had one telephonic interview and awaiting results. I feel like moving yet I don't wanna test water with both feet.

I spend lots of time reading AU forums :blush-anim-cl: some of the stories are encouraging and some the opposite.

• Like 3

Just come. You've got the visa now and have an amazing opportunity to start an awesome life over here!

We've been here two months and my wife already has a job, I'm hoping to get something soon. If you do decide to come now my advice to you is to make sure you either have a family member or good friend you can stay with OR make sure you have enough Rands/Dollars to survive for a couple of months until you have more stable income. I cannot comment on other cities but in Brisbane you can get a reasonable 3-4 bedroom house in the suburbs for less than AU$2000 per month (We are staying with my brother who pays AU$420 per week for a 4 bedroom house with reasonable garden, double garage etc)

My wife and I are spending about AU$100 per week on food and toiletries. AU$30 per month on our phone (we can't seem to run out of credit with lots of phone calls plus this pay as you go option gives us 400 MB/month and the credit builds so you don't loose it). Public transport so far has cost us around AU$160 for both our GO cards and we have used them quite a bit over the last two months (OK I love riding on the City Cat....on the water with the wind in what's left of the air...)

One thing I've learnt is that employment agents all over the world are useless and it's no exception here... just keep hounding them and keep in their faces.

You won't regret the lifestyle here!

One thing that keeps getting me is just how quiet the suburbs are here... I never realised how much noise pollution there was back in Johannesburg!

• Like 7

So true about the noise Gordon. Every time I call my dad there are dogs barking, alarms going off, shouting, it sounds so hectic to me now.

Btw I hope you've used your Gocards to check out GOMA.

Have fun & btw we still want those scones...☺️Maybe my turn to attempt baking??

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

So true about the noise Gordon. Every time I call my dad there are dogs barking, alarms going off, shouting, it sounds so hectic to me now.

Btw I hope you've used your Gocards to check out GOMA.

Have fun & btw we still want those scones...☺️Maybe my turn to attempt baking??

Walked past the GOMA several times but still need to go in there... been enjoying the outdoors and fresh air too much!

Yes, definitely still need to do the scones, I'll message you on whatsapp!! :jester:

Gya, obviously each persons situation is unique... but if you can come then do. I asked my brother if he missed RSA, his reply was that he misses what RSA used to be but has no interest in going back to what it has become. Australia IS what we as immigrants would love RSA to be.

• Like 1

Thanks for the detail replies, this is a good leaf to take

You just have to take the plunge! Save up a few months of living cost and move across.

Its very unlikely that you will get a job while applying from RSA! We have had people on the forum applying for jobs from RSA for 2+ years. In the end they they took the plunge, migrated and got a job within weeks.

• Like 1