Peace of mind.... or is it piece?

Neels

Hi All

I love this forum and all the info and different opinions and insight...

Me and my family are on our way to Melbourne on a subclass 457 visa (I am the primary applicant). We are still waiting for the nomination to be approved, but who says I can't be positive?..

I will be working in the city, but we will be living north, just out of Melbourne.

My wife is a qualified Pilates instructor, and she also specializes in Pre- and Postnatal fitness for moms and babies. Here is RSA she has her own studio where she does private individual, and group classes. My question is two fold: (As I said, it's to give her peace of mind, or I'll get a piece of her's... :boxing: )

1) Generally speaking - what is the 'market' like in the personal health and fitness industry?

2) Would she be able to start her own studio with me being on a 457? Or would we have to wait till we get PR?

Thanks.

Neels.

• Like 1

In response to question 1 BIG. lots on offer. In response to question 2 I dont believe she will have any problems as my husband started his own business while we were on my 457. She must get an ABN from the ATO and comply with all laws to open a studio. What they are I have no idea.

• Like 1

Neels, I agree with Sunnyskies above, the fitness industry is huge in this country so that should not be a problem. Doing it from home, is also not a problem, just make sure that you rent a property that has off street parking or at least enough space for clients to park. This can sometimes upset the neighbours, so if you can get a place that has off street parking you will have no problems.

• Like 1

Here in WA (or perhpas just in the dorpie that I live) the fitness club sucks. Maybe we were spoiled with VirginActive and that set a standard but the 'clubs' here are smaller and privately owned (no multinational). There are two or three in Mandurah and generally are no bigger than a small shop with one piece of each equipment.

Why run on a treadmill looking at a TV when you can jog next to the ocean.

• Like 2

Interesting that you guys got an ABN on a 457, I remember reading that you cant get a ABN unless you are PR or up, did you guys have any dramas or was it straight forwards, as i had planned to get one but thought i had to wait?

There is no problem getting an ABN on a temp visa. Ours was a temp business visa and we were obliged to start a business. So it's totally fine.

Btw Neels she will have to start saying Mums instead of Moms. Just one of those little funny localisms :)

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Here in WA (or perhpas just in the dorpie that I live) the fitness club sucks. Maybe we were spoiled with VirginActive and that set a standard but the 'clubs' here are smaller and privately owned (no multinational). There are two or three in Mandurah and generally are no bigger than a small shop with one piece of each equipment.

Why run on a treadmill looking at a TV when you can jog next to the ocean.

Have you tried out one of those 24/7 Jetts gyms? It looked like a good idea but I did not like it at all! http://www.jetts.com.au/ Then when I went to cancel the membership it was like being crossed questioned by a murder detective! Eventually I said my doctor was concerned about my high blood pressure (a lie) and he pooped himself and processed the cancellation!

• Like 3

Aussie Mums are very into health during and after their pregnancies, I think if she starts pre and post natal fitness for Mums and Bubs......she will be very, very successful.

All she needs are those first few clients and then word of mouth will see her well booked (I believe) she should get flyers printed up and dropped off at ante natal clinics, Dr surgeries, gynaes etc.

• Like 2

Wow how exciting :) Good luck with your plans!

• Like 1

I also think she is very likely to succeed in that market.

Just thinking - she will probably have to make sure she has some insurance too.

Let us know how it goes one day when it's all up & running :)

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

My hospital (RPA) had free yoga for expecting mothers. The lady was a nurse and yoga teacher. Let her also join bubhub.com.au and check whats going on in the world of babies here.

• Like 1

Other things to think about:

- public liability insurance (this is a litigous society)

- if running from home you may have restrictions in your lease (complaining neighbours over excess traffic can be an issue)

Thank you for the replies so far.

Sunnyskies, we were not really thinking about starting from home, as we would be renting in the beginning. She would most probably be better off starting out by working for someone or with someone. We were more thinking about a location close to a medical center or incorporated with those kind of services. But all in good time. We will however have a look at your suggestions.

• Like 1