Negative ICAA assessment

neburr

Hi All

Well after 8 weeks, I have just received my results from the ICAA with a negative assessment.

They have assessed my Law degree as well as both my Honors and Masters degrees (M.Comm.) as at least comparable to an Australian undergraduate level qualification.

However, they have given me a negative assessment as they are of the view that I have not passed Management Accounting (Core) and at least Finance, Economics, Accounting systems or Quantitative methods in either of my degrees. This In spite of the fact that my degree history explicitly states that I have completed Finance, Management Accounting & Economics.

My questions are:

Has anyone experience this before?

Do I now need to repay the fee for a re-assessment?

What do I do if they are adamant that they are not accepting my credentials?

It's because they are stupid (unfortunately very common here) . I don't have any advice for you per se but that sounds wrong!! This whole system is a scam to make money.

Hopefully someone can give you practical advice. I would be furious.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

As disappointing as this is, you need to contact them to find out exactly what the issue is.

It sounds like you are trying to squeeze a law degree and some post grad study into an accounting qualification. You might have Finance, Management Accounting & Economics as say one year subjects whereas their criteria may require it to be a two year subject. Just having the subject isn't always enough. It is the level of study in that subject. Without this sort of detail it would be premature to prejudge their system.

It's just like the work experience question on the application. The applicant counts every year worked whereas the department only count the eligible ones. It is fair - you just need to know the rules.

• Like 1

I guess I was a bit harsh...will be good to hear the reasons & outcome.

I just hate the whole visa thing, ignore me ;)

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Hi there

I am not sure if this will help you, but perhaps go through this page and the links on this page

http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/The-Institute/Migration-assessment/Recognised-accounting-qualifications.aspx

You will need to have completed an Accounting degree but by looking at this page above, you will be able to see which subjects are needed when applying for the different skills.

I hope that this helps you.

All the best and hoping that you are able to move forward with your visa process.

Good luck neburr, what a way to start the week, hopefully it ends on a much better note....wishing you a positive outcome!

• Like 1

Neeburr,

I would fight. Its worth it. When I did my skills I was assessed as unsuitable and they didnt even sniff at my qualification, even it was the ACS own course! After much money and an atomic level arguement any lawyer would be proud of, I got a suitable skills assessment AND my ACS qualification recgonised at Bachelor level WITH a Major in IT!

Start swinging buddy.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the support and feedback.

I have taken note of all comments.

This is what is worrying to me.

I have been credited for at least 1 course that I have not studied directly, though 3 courses that I studied directly, were not credited. As upset as I am now, I am still hopeful that I can resolve this after I call the ICAA.

My only prayer is that I get to chat to a level headed person that can resolve this positively for me.

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Just a note to close this out.

After a mammoth fight, too many calls to the ICAA to count and plenty of emails, I eventually obtained a positive assessment.

The moral of this, if you believe strongly that you have a good case, do not give up the fight.

• Like 2