Two months to go....and freaking out

nicknel

Hi Forumites

Haven't really posted much in a while, since our visa was granted in July everything seemed to go in fast forward mode.

We are booking our flights through IOM on Monday. Our quote came to R23 600 for two adults and one child....Not bad.

Between struggling to find furnished (affordable) rentals and what to take and what not and trying to find jobs we are trying our best to stay calm, but Thursday evening was a breaking point for me especially after finding a great place for cheap and couldn't book it because apparently it is way too early to book a cabin with them and wanted us to call them two weeks before we land (I will not take that chance). So that went out the window and I found myself downing a glass of red wine..... at least I slept through the night for a change.

So after that episode and hours and hours of looking for rentals (we send out 30 queries and only 1 or two get back to you, what is up with that?) We are seriously considering camping for the first few weeks while actively looking for a rental once we are there.

Oh and did I mention we started the process for formal emigration? What a mess, forms galore to fill in, we want to sort out our RA's as fast as possible so that we dont wait too long for the $.

If anyone knows of any jobs opening up in Adelaide for an Instruments Technician/Electronics Technician, mining or not, will accept FIFO as well. Or Maintenance/handyman jobs. Or even recruitment agencies that we can sign with...... It will be welcomed.

Nicknel why do they say it's too early to book? When do you fly?? Which caravan park, because I know of 4 in Adelaide. We stayed at the Hackney one...

Not sure why, it was Sturt River Park.

We fly 30 October, landing 31st

Not sure why, it was Sturt River Park.

We fly 30 October, landing 31st

I could not find a price on their website, weird. Sounds like a lot of bollie to me, it's October!

How about Brownhill creek caravan park, Belair caravan park or Adelaide Shores??

http://www.brownhillcreekcaravanpark.com.au/4429/Standard-Cabins/

http://www.belaircaravanpark.com.au/2718/Tariffs/

http://www.adelaideshores.com.au/accom/caravan/sites.aspx

http://www.adelaidecaravanpark.com.au/10896/Tariff/

Or what about this backpackers? It says they accept families...?

http://backpackoz.com.au/theguesthouse/

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Thank you very much, I will have a look at those. The Sturt River Park sent me a pricelist, when I wanted to book they came with that excuse and the guy was kind of rude over the phone as well. Glad were not staying there anymore, it is just the process of getting the right accommodation for the right price that is so stressful. But I will have a look at your options, thank you very much. :yourock:

• Like 1

Hi Nickel

Have you looked at airbnb for accommodation? I'm considering that for when I go in Nov

Hi Nicknel,

It seems pretty normal, we're finding the same. Even looking at Real Estate and Domain places in the suburbs we are looking at in the school district we want to land in lease a week or 2 from listing, and many go the same day, a bit discouraging, have realized we may need to pay a full week rental at least to secure our place, and it's why I've elected to go ahead of the family by 2-weeks.

We had friends make the move to Melbourne in October last year and they camped for a month, 2 adults and high school going child.

Cheers

Matt

You are much more likely to get something if you pay a deposit. As long as you get a receipt, etc it should be ok. If you aren't offering a deposit they won't think you are serious.

Dont forget to tell your friends at the SABC you are leaving, so they can send their goons around to make you pay up, AND give a DNA sample before you go. LOL

Thanks guys.

LOL Surferman, because of the posts on how difficult it is to cancel the tv licence we sold our tv a few months ago, the guy who we sold it to signed a letter of purchase and we sent them the letter along with cancelation. BAM, maybe our luck, but it is cancelled, when renewing time came we didn't get an invoice. Now to hoping it stays cancelled, with them you never know.

Bronwyn&co, we booked a place this morning in Marion Holiday Park, we figured we could use a cheerful environment under stressful circumstances. It will be easier to go view rentals rather than just hoping they are what the picture says they are.

Now that this is sorted and paid for and the flights are being paid today, and we are meeting with the bank today to help with the formal emigration process, I feel soooo much better. Things finally look like they are getting done.

• Like 1

Yay! Hopefully kids can de-stress & play and swim too!

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Here is a list of current jobs for Instrument Tech in South Australia:

http://www.seek.com.au/jobs/in-sa/#dateRange=999&workType=0&industry=&occupation=&graduateSearch=false&salaryFrom=0&salaryTo=999999&salaryType=annual&advertiserID=&advertiserGroup=&keywords=Instruments&page=1&displaySuburb=&seoSuburb=&isAreaUnspecified=false&location=3104&area=&nation=&sortMode=KeywordRelevance&searchFrom=filters&searchType=

Take note of the recruitment agents who have posted and then contact them directly. You might need to get state specific certification like "Confined Spaces" etc so have a look at the adverts and see what is required. Might not hurt to ring an agent or two to ask where to get that sort of training. Also where to update your first aid training if needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nicknel

I am planning on arriving in Adelaide on the 3rd November, so I know how you feel. Perhaps we can meet up for a coffee :) . You don't actually live far from me now, I'm in Randburg. I'm doing it a bit differently to you, because I'm leaving the wife and kids in South Africa (note I did not say at home) while I look for a job in Adelaide.

I found this place Midway Apartments (http://www.midwayapartments.com.au/apartments/index.html). I haven't called them yet, but they look like a good option for a short stay. Also believe it or not I looked on the Oz Gumtree site under Apartments (short stay I think) and found quite a lot. I think I just want to see these first perhaps.

Good luck with all the rest of the plans.

Hi Nicknel

I am planning on arriving in Adelaide on the 3rd November, so I know how you feel. Perhaps we can meet up for a coffee :) . You don't actually live far from me now, I'm in Randburg. I'm doing it a bit differently to you, because I'm leaving the wife and kids in South Africa (note I did not say at home) while I look for a job in Adelaide.

I found this place Midway Apartments (http://www.midwayapartments.com.au/apartments/index.html). I haven't called them yet, but they look like a good option for a short stay. Also believe it or not I looked on the Oz Gumtree site under Apartments (short stay I think) and found quite a lot. I think I just want to see these first perhaps.

Good luck with all the rest of the plans.

Hi Barbie. That looks quite nice & central. I would call them asap, these places book up in advance...

Hi Barbie, that looks great, I would call them asap if I where you. I know there is some sort of festival around that time so accommodation will go quick.

I also went on gumtree, found LOTS of places, no one even got back to me. Maybe you have more luck than we did. We are going to stay at Marion Holiday Park for a few weeks to give us some time to find a rental.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long for us to find jobs. We are all going because we feel it gives us a double chance of finding a job to start earning dollars. Even if it is just temporary. We are using iTouch solutions for updating our resume's, it costs an arm and a leg but it might just be worth it. I read on here somewhere that a few people recommend them and they got interviews lined up a lot quicker.

We can definately get together for coffee, let me know when you are there and we can arrange something.

Hi

I will call them soon.

Nicknel, I did my resume myself in July (after getting my visa grant) and had it checked by a few people in Oz. I've sent it out for quite a lot of jobs I've found on the web and have had some calls. The biggest issue so far is that I am not there and this has affected every call I have received. No one seems to be interested in going the Skype interview route.

What I did do was to get a local number through Local Phone (you can find them on the web), then had someone in Oz buy a pay as you go sim card for me and forward that cell to the local number. So I have a cell number on my resume which makes it appear like I am there. It costs a bit for the calls with all the diverting (although the Local Phone prices are very cheap), but what part of this process has not cost.

Anyway to gauge the feedback that your resume might get and to help set up appointments for when you arrive, I hope this idea helps.

I will let you know when I'm in Adelaide.

• Like 1