Water on flights

Alida

Hi, can anyone help me out on this ? Is it really true that one can only take water on the flight in 50 ml containers ? That would mean if I would like to take a liter, I'll have to somehow find 20 x 50 ml bottles or the like, for each of 5 of us on the flight !!?? I'm trying to avoid the flouridated water that is usually available on the plane. And I'm nursing, so I need more water ! :unsure: Can this 50 ml thing be true ??

Alida, sorry you cannot take water through customs, BUT, you can buy spring water from one of the shops, once you are past customs. There are eating places where the duty free shops are. You will be allowed to carry that water onto your flight.

• Like 3

You will be able to get water on board the plane. Some give you water in a bottle, other have water fountains available. So not sure why you want to take water with you.

• Like 1

The water is free in the plane and comes in the bottled form. Part of the perks of paying R15000 a seat. You can ask for 100 litres if you like, but they probably only give you one at a time. :)

• Like 4

Had to discard or drink bottles of water as boarding more often than I care to remember. You can get water on the flight but only after you take off. Hopefully you aren't left on the runway - we have had a 40minute wait in the heat with no access to water.

Ons vlug was ook vertraag en die mense was baie omgekrap omdat ons nie die water wat ons op die lughawe gekoop het kon deurvat in die gedeelte waar ons gesit en wag het vir die vliegtuig nie. Daar was selfs 'n Australiese beampte wat ons hand baggasie deur gekyk het om seker te maak daar is nie ongeoorloofte items in nie... Ons het toe maar buite die area gaan staan (daar is letterlik net 'n afskorting soos die in die bank- en poskantoor rye wat die areas afskort) en die water opgedrink en die lee bottels gehou.

Hulle het nie 'n probleem met lee bottels nie.

Daardie bottels het ons op ons LSD gebruik om vol te maak by die baie waterpunte en was baie handig!

Op die vliegtuig kry jy in elk geval ook gebottelde water, soveel as jy wil. Dis net 'n probleem wanneer die vlug vertraag is, maar daar kan jy enige tyd opstaan om te gaan water koop, solank jy dit net opdrink voor jy weer gaan sit...

Die 50 ml - ding waarna jy verwys, is eintlik 100 ml en geld vir goed soos haarsjampoe / enige ander vloeistowwe.

Die rede daarvoor is dat terroriste hul gereedskap in sulke items versteek ( bv in tandepasta buisies of ander ondeursigtige houers). Hul het ook 'n jel-agtige vloeistof nodig om ploftoestelle aanmekaar te sit op die vliegtuig, omdat jel 'n geleier is).

So hulle is baie streng, met goeie rede.

PS: jy kan groter houers met vloeistowwe soos haarsjampoe / stortjel / skeerseep ens. in jou tas sit.

Edited by Kanniewagnie

Thanks all, I was hoping to dodge the flouridated water found in the bottles. But I guess for this once, we'll have to take it as it is.

Kanniewagnie and when you fly the other way from Australia to RSA there no check like what they do in RSA at the boarding gate.

Thanks all, I was hoping to dodge the flouridated water found in the bottles. But I guess for this once, we'll have to take it as it is.

Moenie worry nie Alida. There is no flouradated stuff in the water. It is very expensive Spring water that has been filtered through Mother Nature's rock filtering system. The company who bottles it has little elves who magically fill the bottles deep under ground in the aquaducts of the south pole where that flouro tooth paste stuff cant get to. It is 100% magic process that has Mother Nature's stamp of approval. In fact after a few bottles you will have a spring in your step and song in your heart called "I'm happy as larry". :jester:

• Like 1

I think Jordy is right re the spring water.

The fluoride gets added to the tap water by government to keep our teeth nice (don't want to get into a debate about that one ?)

It shouldn't be found in bottled spring water. You should be all good Alida.

Hahaha, Jordy, if only that was true !! :D
Hi Bronwyn, call me paranoid, I know that especially water on flights get flouridated in order to keep the passengers docile. But don't worry, we should be all good B) . And docile.

• Like 1

Hahaha, Jordy, if only that was true !! :D

Hi Bronwyn, call me paranoid, I know that especially water on flights get flouridated in order to keep the passengers docile. But don't worry, we should be all good B) . And docile.

I'm pretty sure that's a conspiracy theory.

Besides, It's not the flouride in water that you have to worry about, it's the dope they pump through the aircon that keeps everybody mellow :D

• Like 3

Alida, if it is meant to keep passengers docile, believe me it ain't working... been on many flights and never found the passengers to be docile!

• Like 1

Hehehe, OK all, I'll opt for a gas mask !! :)

• Like 1

Kanniewagnie and when you fly the other way from Australia to RSA there no check like what they do in RSA at the boarding gate.

True, we flew SAA both directions. I wondered if they would be so strict on a Quantas flight from Oz to SA?

Edited by Kanniewagnie

Qantas manages all flights to and from Sydney and SAA flights to and from Perth. The 2 airlines operate code shares on these flights. Flying out of Joburg to Perth in January we had the same rigmarole. Flying from Sydney to joburg we were also searched.

I did find it interesting watching a "typical" SA male try and bully his way through security and other passengers based on the colour of his frequent flyer card in Joburg coming back to OZ. My thoughts were "ja boet Oz will sort you out quick sticks".

Don't stress about the water. It's for your safety and when groups like Isis seem intent on taking their war to their perceived enemies we can all expect security to get more vigilant. Yes its an irritation when you have just bought water but at least you will start the journey fully hydrated! Most stringent security I've been through is the US security. Makes the Aussies look like they are playing.

Edited by Sunnyskies

Oh how I wished the water kept me 'docile'. I am very anxious flying so I usually spend my time drinking liters of water and then being scared to go to the toilet by myself. So I get up and down and walk on the spot. Very annoying!

And I was 18 weeks pregnant when we flew and my child seems pretty normal to me. Naughty but unfortunately not docile at all.

The last thing I ever feel on a plane is docile. Even the booze doesn't work for me!

Edited by Sibella

The bottled water (which is normally the same mineral water that you buy in the shops, just in a smaller bottle) is the least of your worries. As for the gas mask, good idea. It will come in handy when someone decides to change their babies crappy nappy which happens just as you're about to start eating your breakfast :angry2:

Edited by Johnno

I flew SAA JBurg to Australia this weekend after a visit.

They were removing soft drinks (and other liquids) from bags at the actual boarding gate just before the flight (this was not an issue on other flights you could buy/fill up in the departure lounge). That included water and other drinks that had been bought in the departure lounge, I've not seen that before, there were a lot of people caught out and a range of drinks lined up on the table.

• Like 1

In this case, it will be me changing my babe's crappy nappy, mwhahaha (I'll be gracious and go to the allocated space for that ) - and, I guess no one drinks water on flights, only sugar-high drinks / coffee / alcohol, all attributing to rambunctious behavior on flights ...

For taking water at the departure gate, I think that was just to be annoying to the very last possible moment. No sense in prohibiting passengers to take the water they just bought after booking in !! I've read somewhere that especially at Jo'burg, the personnel are quite annoying about your stuff. Some of them even make a fuss about unnecessary things, just because they like it and so steal it openly. Just because you're eager to go and would try to avoid any unwanted ramifications. I hope CT does better ...