Another accommodation question...

Eyebrow

OK

So us 5 want to arrive in Melbourne at some stage in the next few months.

So I am looking at temporary accommodation on stayz and airbnb etc

And I cant find anything under $200 per night.

So, if we stay for a month in temp accom, that means 30x$200= $6000= R60 000!!!!

Is that about right?

Am I missing something here? Or is it normal for that first month after arrival to completely break one financially? :stretcher:

OK

So us 5 want to arrive in Melbourne at some stage in the next few months.

So I am looking at temporary accommodation on stayz and airbnb etc

And I cant find anything under $200 per night.

So, if we stay for a month in temp accom, that means 30x$200= $6000= R60 000!!!!

Is that about right?

Am I missing something here? Or is it normal for that first month after arrival to completely break one financially? :stretcher:

Eyebrow you'll have to try and lease a house. It's much cheaper.

Yip, stay in temp accommodation for a quick as possible. Renting a house is much cheaper, although you might need to camp in it until your furniture comes. Maybe some of the Melbournites will have more info on cheap temp accommodation.

Are you bringing someone with you? I thought you were a family of 4.

It can be very expensive paying per night.

What we did about 2.5 years ago in Perth (which is renowned for being way more expensive that just about anywhere in AUS) is to rent short term holiday-let type accommodation at a weekly rate.

Think it was bout $600 per week back then (R28 000 for four weeks) which I thought at the time was pretty reasonable.

We got ours from Gumtree, but I've seen a few other affordable short term leases (3 or so months) on realestate.com.au as well.

• Like 1

We are going to stay in the Sundowner Rockland caravan park for the first 2 weeks. Peak times (29 - 12 January 2015) @ $110,10 per night for cabin sleeping 5. Our 2 weeks cost is just over R12 000. You pay for 6 nights and the 7th is free. During that time we are going to look for a house to rent afterwards. There's a small swimmingpool - should keep the kids happy for the times we are there. We want to see as much of Melbourne as we can during those 2 weeks, so we really don't mind the small cabin. Fortunately it has a kitchenette and en suite.

Miran, I am happy to see that you got your accommodation sorted, that must be a relief to you.

Eyebrow, you have not said exactly when you plan to come, I just did a search on stayz for the last two weeks of October and there were quite a number under $150?

http://www.stayz.com.au/consumer/accommodation/vic/melbourne?search=true

Unless of course you are planning on arriving in December, when of course, it will be a lot more expensive.

You can also look on http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-short-term/melbourne/accommodation/k0c18295l3001317

I see there is also short term furnished accommodation for rent.

@Eyebrow, are you coming over on a 457 visa? If so, have you perhaps enquired from your employer whether they would assist you with temporary accommodation for the first month? It is not unusual for employers to do this. There are actually a bunch of relocation issues that the employer can & should assist with (unless 457 regulations have changed).

Having just had a discussion at the office about taking serviced accommodation for an employee take note that the longer you take the accommodation for the more you can negotiate the rate. If you are not trying to stay in a resort town in peak season it is worth negotiating the rate you pay. So although the nightly rate is $200 you can negotiate a weekly rate of $1000 on the basis that you are keeping the accommodation filled for 3 or more weeks.

So usual rule applies - haggle.

Yip, stay in temp accommodation for a quick as possible. Renting a house is much cheaper, although you might need to camp in it until your furniture comes. Maybe some of the Melbournites will have more info on cheap temp accommodation.

Are you bringing someone with you? I thought you were a family of 4.

What I dont understand is...

Say I book for 2 weeks in Nov, but dont find a rental in that time, then the temp accommodation is full afterwards (as it seems to be already getting full for Nov - looks like a prime time :blush: )

Then I will be under pressure to find more temp accommodation etc, until we find rental.

So the issue is: not being able to predict the length of time staying in the temp accommodation.

I have 3 kids rozellem!

Maybe I discuss the 2 smaller ones more, because the eldest is not so worrying!

It can be very expensive paying per night.

What we did about 2.5 years ago in Perth (which is renowned for being way more expensive that just about anywhere in AUS) is to rent short term holiday-let type accommodation at a weekly rate.

Think it was bout $600 per week back then (R28 000 for four weeks) which I thought at the time was pretty reasonable.

We got ours from Gumtree, but I've seen a few other affordable short term leases (3 or so months) on realestate.com.au as well.

Yes, this is what I would do...look for holiday let accommodation rented by the week. It is usually far cheaper than anything rented by the night. Go to real estate sites for suburbs that might have some holiday lets (by the bay or whatever) and find the real estate sites that have weekly holiday lets advertised.

These are usually second homes let by local families who offer their second home by the week via the local real estate agent. On average this is by far the cheapest way to go in Brisbane so I assume Melbourne is similar.

We rented a furnished house while the owners went on holiday for $600 per week including electricity etc. but unfortunately the website I used doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Maybe you can do a houseswap with someone depending on when you are coming, there are quite a few websites for this.

We are going to stay in the Sundowner Rockland caravan park for the first 2 weeks. Peak times (29 - 12 January 2015) @ $110,10 per night for cabin sleeping 5. Our 2 weeks cost is just over R12 000. You pay for 6 nights and the 7th is free. During that time we are going to look for a house to rent afterwards. There's a small swimmingpool - should keep the kids happy for the times we are there. We want to see as much of Melbourne as we can during those 2 weeks, so we really don't mind the small cabin. Fortunately it has a kitchenette and en suite.

HI

I had a look at the place you going to be staying at, and it looks nice!

We are hoping to settle in the South east, because it close to all the places I will have to travel to for work.

So trying to get temp accom there.

Because I want to get kids in school already (as this will make us going around and doing stuff much easier)

https://book.big4.com.au/frankston-holiday-village/accommodation

This would be ideal, except the are already booked for Nov!

November is not really prime time, holiday time here is really around end of December and January so I'm sure you'll be able to extend your stay, or even move elsewhere for a bit which might be a nice change. There are lots of apartments in greater Melbourne, have you checked out wotif or booking.com?

Your cheapest option is to find a house on Realestate.com for let in the area you want and lock it in now. There should be some coming up for November soon as they usually start cropping up 1-2 months before they become vacant.

Ask a forum member to attend the inspection, pay 2 or 3 months rent upfront and try your luck on a 6 months lease. Luckily you already have work so that is a big plus.

It's risky because you might not necessarily love the place but it's cheapest & easiest...?

Not sure if I'm wrong but I I remember correctly, but you can't sign a rental agreement on a property you haven't viewed yourself... anyone?

(Obviously doesn't apply to short term or holiday rentals, I'm thinking lease agreement)

Not sure if I'm wrong but I I remember correctly, but you can't sign a rental agreement on a property you haven't viewed yourself... anyone?

(Obviously doesn't apply to short term or holiday rentals, I'm thinking lease agreement)

Yes I was also wondering about this...maybe a Skype viewing? ??

We signed a one year lease agreement for a property in Perth without viewing first (We were in Jhb). We had a friend have a look and based on his recommendation we contacted the agent; submitted our docs, paid deposit and it was ours. There was a vetting process, from what I remember but there was only one other interested party.

Edited by Kath
  • Like 1

We had the same experience as Kath. Saw the rental on domain.com.au. I asked a friend to have a look at the rental. I also contacted the estate agent and said a friend would attend the inspection on our behalf. My friend sent us loads of pics and based on her impression of the house, we completed the application forms. We were very surprised that we got the place. We offered three months rent in advance.

When we went to fetch the house keys at the agency, we found out that the owner has twins (we have triplets) so maybe that swung it in our favour!

Also, we arrived late on a Thursday evening and spent the first weekend in a short term rental at $120 a night for a family of 5. We booked through Australian Home Away.

Maybe I'm talking tjol. I was sure there was some or other issue with renting sight unseen. Maybe only with some agencies.

I have also heard that before Hansa, but yes, as you say, maybe it's not across the board.

Speaking of sight-unseen- Recebtly, between selling our house and buying our current one, we took a 12 month rental. My wife couldn't make the viewing so I went and saw it, signed up right there (good rentals were hard to find) and then she had to sign the agreement later (agent was ok with that as obviously I would be the main applicant)

Luckily I made the right choice, whooooo-weeee, can you imagine if the boss didn't approve?!?

Just some useless info for a Friday morning.

Hansa, I have bought 3 properties without my husband seeing it at all. Including our current, forever home we live in. He has bought 1 I did not see, that we actually still have in London. My parents bought 1 property for us ( with our money) that neither of us saw before the ink was dry. We must do trust in a BIG way in our family :D

Well I must be honest, never in a million years would I be happy for my hubby to buy a house which I have not seen, absolutely never!

You see, he would buy the house by the size of the shed nothing else would really matter to him. Has a bathroom, tick, has a kitchen, tick, has a bedroom tick, has a huge shed, yes, yes, yes, what else do you need?

• Like 5