Pet Prices

KCT

Good day All, wondering what are the pet prices like in Australia for a dog example. If I read some of the proces what people pay to have their pets brought over !

If you're buying a dog from pet shop / breeder you can expect to pay a few hundred dollars. We paid $800 for a little lap dog for my daughter from a pet shop. My brother just bought a pedigree "poodle" for $1,200 A week later it cost him $300 at the vest because it ate a packet of anti depressant tablets, lol!!

• Like 1

Yeah last night my daughter showed me a dog on facebook that she wants. It was also an $800 lapdog. But I asked her if she has $800 & she dropped it, shame ?

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 2

We paid $900 for a Golden Retriever puppy, not registered.

Oh my word thats really expensive when you arrive only with Rands.

Are there any animal shelters where one could adpot a dog/puppy...really keen to help an animal in need. If there are shelters, do you pay or give a donation for the animal.

You can adopt from the rspca but it will cost you around $800. That includes all vaccinations up to the date of adoption, microchip, sterilisation, registration (here pets have to be registered with council) and some pet insurance- like vet cover.

• Like 1

Plenty of animal shelters around. Check out the "Pet Rescue" website.

We got our beautiful staffy x Labrador for $400 and a Kelpie cross just this week for $450.

Oh, and a cat for $250.

They do screen applicants to make sure you're offering them a good home.

Do you get pet insurance in Oz like we have in SA .... Like Medipet.

Yes you do and trust me, it's worth it. I remember when I first arrived in Oz I saw an ad on TV for pet insurance and I thought...."bloody ridiculous, never heard of anything so stupid". When our dog needed the vet I popped over to the local vet and by the time I half finished our consultation and had a bag full of medication the pretty young lady at reception already had the invoice waiting for full settlement. I almost had a heart attack and not having my own private healthcare at the time, that could have been a very expensive afternoon! Needless to say I walked out a few hundred dollars poorer and a fist full of pet insurance forms. :D

Our cat is 14 years old and was recently sick. The bill was over $800. He needed to spend one night in the emergency vet - cost was $550 for one night's care. We said no and brought him home and nursed him through the night. He is well and recovered. We dont have pet insurance.

You can adopt from the rspca but it will cost you around $800. That includes all vaccinations up to the date of adoption, microchip, sterilisation, registration (here pets have to be registered with council) and some pet insurance- like vet cover.

I came here to post this... rather adopt a dog from the SPCA than buy one from a pet shop.

I've been disappointed to see that Australia is backwards with this, in spite of being quite environmental about other things. Breaks my heart to walk past pet shops in busy shopping centres and there's an aquarium of puppies for sale :(

My puppy was a gum tree ad! lol. We couldnt afford the RSPCA or any other similar shelters. He was from a loving home and fairly cheap. He was already microchipped but we had to spay him (de-sex is the appropriate word here).

We live in a complex and one of the conditions of having a dog is that we needed to get third party insurance in case he bites someone. This is different to Pet Insurance which is for the pets health. Third Party will only pay for the damage the dog causes the bitten person. You may need both.

Also, you have to register the dog with the council (in QLD). Remember the old pet licences, well its similar, and cheaper for a de-sexed dog, to be paid every year.

That said, the council lead free dog areas are great. These are beaches and parks where pets can run free, with water bowls and other (usually) friendly dogs go to play. My dog has made many friends and knows the owners who carry treats. These parks are a novelty for us and well worth the council fees in my opinion. Councils also run dog walks and other similar pet friendly expos.

• Like 1

We looked for ages for a dog to adopt. There were only big breeds available and we wanted a smaller inside dog. (But we are in a smaller country town so cities may be different). We bought a puppy for $800. Pay $34 pm for pet insurance and the microchip/sterilisation bit coat us another $300. Out vets have a healthy pet for life thing where you pay $250 up front per year and that gives you 2 vet checks with blood and urine checks, and 4 baths and 25% discount on flea/worm stuff plus any new problem no consultation fee.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of puppies in a pet shop either!

In SA it took me many years and thousands of rands before I took took out pet insurance. It is definitely worth it.

In SA there is a breeder for almost any kind of dog - wonder if it is the same in Oz. I guess it will just cost a small fortune for a pure bred, registered dog. Anyone know what their KUSA equivalent is?