Oz CV for Allied Health

KSV2

Hi all,

My husband (Engineer) is using Roland from itouch to revamp his CV for the OZ job market. We chose him because of the great reviews from this forum and so far he is living up to his reputation. Unfortunately they have less experience in health care and have suggested that I find a company that specializes in this field.

Have any health workers (I am a Speech-Language Therapist) used a company to prepare their CV successfully?

TIA

HI Tia

Im also in health (occ therapist) and was talking to my colleagues (a SLT actually) re recruitment.

Apparently the agencies charge the employers a lot to find an employee. So a few healthcare companies have policies against using agencies.

You will be able to find a job without an agency.

Many places (for obvious reasons) will only employ you when they can interview you...ie when you have landed.

I dont know who would help with CV's. I did learn on this forum that they dont want as much of the biographical info on your CV as South Africa (age, race, marital status, etc)

You always use a CV and cover letter and selection criteria answers with each application.

I was offered a job in a private hospital within 5 weeks of landing. The hardest part was getting the paperwork for the supervision required by AHPRA. So I could only start work 4 weeks later!

All the best and feel free to contact me for more info

Thanks for the info :) I think I will leave my CV for now and get it done at a later point if I'm struggling to find work. Do the SLTs have to register with AHPRA too?

Yes, AHPRA is the Allied Health Professions Regulating Authority. www.ahpra.gov.au.

But i just had a look and Speech Pathology is not on there. However, have a look at http://www.speechpathologyaustralia.org.au/join-spa/overseas-qualifications-assessment as they do all the processes required for an overseas therapist to work in Australia.

And by the way, Speech therapy (or SLT) is known as Speech Pathology here, if you are doing any kind of search.

Check what you will need to be able to practice as an SP here. I had to do an English Language test, the desk top and practice audit, the first part was the skills assessment I needed for the skilled visa, but I would have had to do it anyway, even if not using my skills to get into the country. Physios need to do an exam, so its worth starting the process now.