Did you use a Migration Agents?

Hanliedb

Good day

We are only starting the process now, and wanted to try to apply for Visa 189.

What is your opinion regarding doing everything yourself and using a Agent? We realise that we are playing with a lot of money and wanted to make sure that we do not lose anything.

We got a Quote from Migrate2oz, really looks like a well organized company.

Is there any other company's that you would like to recommend?

Where do we start when doing everything yourself?

Thanks

Hanlie

Edited by Hanliedb

I am right at the end and waiting for the 189 visa - I used Reuven at Migrate2Oz and they have been awesome. They told me what they needed from me and when and sorted it all out for me. Everything they have said would happen has happened almost exactly when they said it would. I have had no problems with them and would recommend them to my friends. I wanted to use an agent as I wanted things to go smoothly and quickly and it was hard enough whilst working to get the info they needed so to do it on my own while working would have been hectic for me.

• Like 2

Hey Hanliedb,

We received the 189 visa last month after deciding to handle the process alone; the agency quoted the two of us close to R40,000.

If you have an extremely busy life, and do not enjoy research, I would recommend using an agent, as it took a lot of effort and time from my side, reading all the documents, etc. available on the immi website.

I would recommend the following starting steps;

1. Determine if you qualify for the 60 points

2. Establish who the skills assessment body and requirements

4. Apply for unabridged marriage and birth certificates at home affair.

3. Collect documents required by assessment body.

4. Write the IELTS

5. Send off assessment docs and positive IELTS.

6. Apply for invitation

Hope this helps.

P.S. I applied for Accountant skill, if you need help with that, give me a shout.

• Like 4

The Mara have a video on the subject...

https://www.mara.gov.au/using-an-agent/using-a-registered-migration-agent/

Just remember, the system is designed so you can do it alone. You still have to fill out the forms, even if you employ and agent. All they can do is give you advise on how to fill it out and then double check it.

Also, some agents will tell you things like... " you can't apply with XXX profession, but you could pass as a YYY ". That kind of advise often convinces people to pay $$$ for the agent.

I know I had a suitable skill, but if you want to move to Australia you need to learn to follow the systems they have in place. There is most likely a good reason why XXX isn't a suitable profession and YYY is. Of course the agent won't tell you that. In Australia these lists aren't put together by affirmative action employees who don't know what they are doing.

Australia tries hard to stop abuses of the visa systems like:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-14/investigation-into-claims-hungarian-workers-grossly-underpaid/5093100

so trust what they say on the immigration site and don't try (use an agent) to "beat the system".

Cheers

Edited by monsta
  • Like 2

Hanliedb,

Hi, this forum is a wealth of information and if you have a simple enough family setup I am sure you can do it yourself and save yourself the R40 000. It is not a difficult process.... It requires a bit of time but hey then you know where you are at... Why not give it a bash and if it's too much the agents are there. Start with your document gathering process and signing up to write IELTS, prepare for it so you can get max points for your effort. Good luck, shout if you need help!

• Like 1

My bill was quite a bit less than R40k for a family of 5. I chose to go via an agent because I didn't want to make a mistake that cost me months and possibly result in my occupation coming off the skills list before I got all of my application in order. Also I am 43 this year so didn't want it to take so long that my age became an issue. I suppose it depends on the individual as most things do... all I can say is that I had a great experience with Migrate2Oz as my agents.

• Like 1

We're also going to try for a 189 visa by doing it ourselves. I've been doing extensive research and this forum is absolutely amazing. Our situation is relatively straightforward and my husband's skils are on the SOL so hopefully things go smoothly. Although we're still in the early stages of applying for paperwork etc (time consuming!); the Oz immi sites do seem to offer organised information. I think if you give them exactly what they ask for, the process should be okay. My sister and her family are using migrate2oz and have glowing reviews for Reuven, so I think it depends on what your feeling is and how complicated your application may turn out to be/how much time and energy you can dedicate to the process. I wish you all of the best for your journey!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for starting this thread, Hanliedb

Hubby and I have also decided to make the move to Australia and I've done quite a lot of research. Contacted a few agents, read posts on this forum (which is an awesome forum - big ups to Admin and all members) :ilikeit: and I've emailed my uncle who migrated to Australia in 2012. After getting all info, we are now at the stage of either choosing between agents or doing it ourselves! I've read the "100 step" post and www.immi.gov.au and it doesn't look to hard doing it ourselves. We are just afraid that we might miss something - we are human after all.... I might ask for your assistance if needed, adrianoelofsen :blush-anim-cl: (hope you don't mind) - I'm also applying for the Accountant skill. I believe our case is straight forward and that is the main reason why I think paying R30,000 to an agent is unnecessary or are we maybe missing something?

Hey Lsroxy

We decided to make use af a agent after all with both of us working full time it's very hard to research everything. Our only problem with not using an agent was the fact that if me make a mistake we can lose a lot of money and time. Buy It's all up to you and your hubby just make 100% sure that the paper work is fulled in currently. And all the relevant documents are attached, and I think with a lot of research it's possible.

Luckily for us we have a agents. We made 2 mistakes on the skills assessment forms she informed us straight away and made sure that everything is in order before we courierd it to Aus.

Still a long way to go. But we will get there.

• 3 weeks later...

We used migrate2 oz in 2008 and have 2 other couples as friends that used them and we are all very happy with service we got.

My advice would be if you are time poor or unsure use and agent!

• Like 1

We used Reuven from M2O ourselves and could not have been happier, my wife is the main applicant and so far all she has done for the process is write the IELTS test, the rest of it I did myself and I can tell you, having an agent was a big help and I probably would have stuffed something up along the way or given up(read procrastinate) as I am very good at it.

If you can spend the cash to take a lot of stress off your shoulders, I mean, raising 3 kids is already a colossal task in itself, then do so, it is really worth it. Once you are in Oz, you will make the $3000 back in two ticks.

Good luck, we are just awaiting our PCCs and then we are done!

We did it ourselves and it took very long! It is a ton of paperwork to do, but it is def. doable. If we had the extra funds at the time I would have used an agent.

We did it ourselves and was fine with it. My parents have also applied for their parent visa by themselves with no problems. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

Hi Mel-B, I see you guys also applied for the 175 visa.....the long wait had nothing to do with the fact that you applied for it yourself. An agent would have made no difference in your and our case as we all had to wait due to the type of visa and not the fact that we did not use an agent.

Time wise I would say it is the same. As a matter of fact I know some of the agents ask for more than is needed and those people end up waiting longer as they need to get extra documents. I know someone on the forum once said that their agent refused their Police clearance as it did not have their maiden name on it (if you read the immi site, this is not a requirement). Took them another few months to get a new one. I also got one without maiden name, submitted it directly and got my visa the next day (it was the last document requested)

Hey guys

Thank you for all the help I have read a bit of everything on immigranting and all of your comments are helping alot.

thanx

Ria

• 4 weeks later...

ATTENTION...

Thank you for my personal message...

The agency that contacted me is IP Visas in Cape Town. Can any body give me any info concerning them?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/IXP-VISA-SCAM/774663812574535

http://www.complaintboard.com/global-visas-l2225.html

Just google their name and you will find a heck of a lot of really concerning posts, i think some of the people on the forums have lost money to them as well, rather use one of the agents recommended on these forums.

Edited by Nev

I did the application myself(175), its does takes time to read through the documentation, I would say all in all it took me a 1yr to actually submit . The cost then was about R25000 for a family of 4. Gathering the documents took the most amount of time.

hey Angelique

we also want to use them a till we find out their a scam company. They use to be XPI visa and now IP Visa. Jordy told me, she also on the forum.

Hope you the beste of luck

lovely day

Ria

Hey guys,

I trust you are all well.

Right, I had one hell of a week...

I would like to start off by saying: Thank you to PLTF for your pm.

Guys if it wasn't for that pm I would have made a colossal mistake that would have cost me just on R45000.

IP Visas is part of Global... Long story short they turn out to be scams. They seem to be registered with all governing bodies including MARA.

They give you correct the basic info in case you are proactive and the need to know type.The call centre consultant builds a good relationship with you, well spoken, friendly, and they really sound like they know what to do and exactly how to help you. They promise a case hand over to a migration consultant once an activation amount is paid. 25% of your total fee.

I was due to make my payment on Thursday. But Wednesday I received a pm and that changed everything...

I never contacted them all week, which was strange because they phone you twice a day. And this week they didn't...

Low and behold... The very consultant phones me today and confirms all the horrific stories out there. Me being not afraid took him on.

I confronted him about the situation. All he said was they get you ready and excited and take your money. He was kamastig sorry and attempted to offer his services thru another company. Scam alert... Can you believe it...

I would just like to say, I found a lady that has been perfectly awesome. She has helped me do more in 2 days then the lies I've been told.

Take care guys it can happen so quickly if you don't know it all. I thought it would never happen to me and it very nearly destroyed every thing......

Take care all.

• Like 1

I decided to use a migration agent (Migrate2Oz). It might be expensive but I figured if they can even just save me a month or two's time it'll be worth it financially due to the fact that I'll be earning an Australian salary quicker.