Expiring visa...help

Bob123

I have a problem and am hoping someone has a solution. My PR visa is expiring middle next year but we are unable to move before mid 2016 (long story). We have a son that was born after our PR was granted, so if I apply for a child 101 visa for my son and it gets granted before my visa expires, is there any way I can use this to extend my visa, given that my son will be a permanent resident from 2015 - 2019? Can I for example apply for a parent visa

My understanding is that DIBP take a VERY dim view of people granted a visa whom then do not take it up. I strongly suggest you come over, even for a weekend, just to activate the visa, if I get you right.

If you have already activated your visa and the final entry date is mid next year then you will need to enter Aus before then with everyone that is on the visa, apply for and be grated a resident return visa (which is the valid for a further five years and you can go back to South Africa and wait it out to mid 2016, get the 101 visa and all is well. If it's just a case of you need to activate the vise before mid next year then everyone on the visa simply makes a trip to Aus activating the visa which will also give you five years breathing space.

As SurferMan said DIBP take a dim view on extensions and there has to be a very good reason for even considering an extension. I would suggest that you contact one of the forum (SD_MOA, Ajay, TeeTMI, CustomEyes) agents and find out what all your options are. Hope you find a solution.

• Like 1

To my knowledge, just adding your son to your visa, his visa will follow the same dates as yours, so it will also expire next year.

I have to stress, that I do not know of anyone that has been successful in extending their visa's settlement date. You would be best checking with one of the agents as mentioned in the message above, however, I do not think you stand much chance.

Just coming here before your visa expires, with the intention of just getting a residents return visa will not help you either, as to my knowledge, it will only be issued for the length of time that you have been resident in Australia. So let me put it this way, if you have only been here for three weeks, then three weeks is all you will get, therefore of no use to you at all.

They give you plus/minus a year from the time of granting your visa for you to enter Australia and activate your visa

They then allow you to go home for four years and sort out all your stuff

They do not think it is necessary for you to have any further time, if you are not sorted by this stage, they do not think you really wish to move here.

Sorry if this sounds cruel, but this is not my opinion, that is the Government's rules.

The resident return visa is not always renewed for 5 years. They look at what time you have already spent in Oz and if you have settled or not. Your sons visa is dependent on your visa as you are the sponsor. If you lose your right to remain in Oz, all other parties you sponsored also lose their visa rights as well.

So you have a simple choice either move to Oz and settle before your visa expires or not. Depending what you decide will tell you if it's worthwhile applying for your sons visa.

As far as I know your odds of getting another are about zero as well. Sorry for all the harsh news and I don't know the reasons that gave rise to you taking so long....but, it's a use it or lose it. There are a great many would give almost anything for that piece of paper you hold in your hand. Again, I don't know your situation, but I STRONGLY SUGGEST you get here. If not, you would basically have counted yourself out of Aus in effect. And your family.