Renewing SA passports in AUS

Tazzn

What is the process for renewing an SA passport while in AUS? Is it a huge schlep?

It's not too bad Tazz. Everything's on the SA High Commission website. You have to get ink fingerprints done on the form the SAHC will post you. We just have to go to our local police station to do them. The SAHC here are very organised so it's a lot easier than doing it in SA. No queues, no fuss.

http://www.sahc.org.au/passports.htm

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

Thanks Bronwyn, just wanted to make sure we didn't have to travel to Canberra to get it all done :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I have just received my renewed SA passport in Randburg today.

My current passport expires in June 2015, but thought that it would be easier to apply for a new one now before I leave for Aus in December.

Took me 2 weeks from the time I applied to the time I received my sms to tell me it is ready for collection. and it is valid for 10 years! So don't have to hassle for the next while.

Just make sure that you do not hand in your existing passport as this will have your PRV still in it.

If you are applying for a child under 18 - then need unabridged birth certificates, R400 and both parents to be present together with the child.