Urgent - Rusk recipe

DXB2OZ

Dear All,

Kids love rusks (Ouma's buttermilk). Husband loves rusks (Ouma's buttermilk). Am trying to stick to a fairly tight budget.

Limitations - have been known to have some spectacular disasters when attempting to bake. Can manage simple recipes which use small words and basic instructions. Have fanciful daydreams of being the next Nigella, but we are not there.

Does anyone have a basic, flop-proof recipe for rusks similar to Ouma's buttermilk?

The sight of the empty rusk tin on the counter is truly heartbreaking.

• Like 1

Dont laugh, but there is a facebook group called "Lekker Resepte vir die Jongergeslag". They have tons of recipes on file or you could just ask any food question, how ever stupid " I am making pork chops tonight, what can I serve with it?" They seem to be scattered around the world. Dont worry, you can post in English.

• Like 1

I'm too lazy to copy the one from my recipe book but this one seems quite similar:

http://www.sarie.com/kos/kategoriee-kos/gebak-kategoriee-kos/karringmelkbeskuit-die-basiese-resep/

With rusks it is quite difficult to make a flop as they are dense and doesn't need to rise really, my husband makes it all the time (and he never, I mean never cooks so that's saying something). We add sunflower seeds and All Bran flakes to make it 'healthier'.

Sorry the link doesn't seem to work, so I copied the recipe. Hope you can read Afrikaans!

Een broodpan
(18 stukke)

• 500 g bruismeel
  • 2,5 ml sout
  • 250 g botter
  • 200 g suiker
  • 250 ml karringmelk
  • 1 eier

Twee broodpanne
(36 stukke)

• 1 kg bruismeel
  • 5 ml sout
  • 500 g botter
  • 400 g suiker
  • 500 ml karringmelk
  • 2 eiers

Gooi die bruismeel en sout in ‘n groot mengbak. Sny die botter in blokkies en vryf dit in die mengsel tot dit soos broodkrummels lyk. Sit die suiker by en meng goed. Klits die karringmelk en eier(s) saam. Voeg by die meelmengsel en meng goed. Gooi in gesmeerde broodpanne en bak in ‘n voorverhitte oond teen 180 °C vir sowat 1 uur, of tot gaar. Toets met ‘n toetspen en maak seker hy kom droog uit. Laat afkoel voor jy die beskuit in vingers sny. Sit die gesnyde beskuit op bakplate en laat vir sowat 8 uur teen 120 °C uitdroog. Ek droog gewoonlik my beskuit oornag in die oond uit.

LOL Yes Bronwyn, my hubbie is a health nut so he reduces the butter and sugar by quite a lot and it still works! But doesn't taste quite as nice...

• Like 1

That recipe sounds just like mine. I make a brown one with "VESEL RYK BRUISMEEL" add some meusli, seeds (sunflower etc) to that recipe and some all bran as well. Comes out devine!!

Oh, thanks for this... Any recipe longer than three lines sends me into a flat panic.

I don't know how I am going to cope in Aus without Woolies meals.... I am the world's most abysmal non-cook.

Pell, easiest dinner recipe is:

- buy gas BBQ

- marinate chosen meat in chosen marinade (eg lamb chops marinaded with some lemon, salt and fresh thyme or oregano, or chicken thigh fillets marinaded in lemon or sweet chilli sauce)

- give to husband to BBQ

- make salad and rice/baked potatoe (baked potatoes that you rub with olive oild and coat with some rock salt before baking come out really yummy)

Enjoy :)

Salad stuff is really good here. Find a few good salad dressing recipes (doesn't have to be complicated olive oil, lemon juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper work great - tip don't use table salt but buy a box of salt flakes like Maldon or even Saxa in Aus the flavour is so much nicer).

You can buy ready made food here, just works out more expensive and if you are like me and paranoid about what else is in the food you will quickly work out that it is easier to buy fresh. The delie section at Woolies/Coles here is generally pretty good so you can get lovely olives, artichokes, sundries tomatoes etc. The delie meats I found disappointing when we got here but eventually you'll find ham you like from the 20 different options.

Hmm, that is making me hungry as I sit in the cab at 6am on my way to the airport and know that Qantas lounge food is rubbish :(

• Like 1