Car seats for plane and in Aus

Splinky

Hi guys!

We are flying over with our 2 year old in September and I was wondering if anyone here has used a car seat for their child on the aeroplane?

Ours is not FAA approved so we would probably need to get another one but I know the Aussies are quite strict with them. We don't want to buy a new one for the flight and then not be able to use it again. Does anyone know of a brand that is approved for flights and also acceptable to use in Aus? Do the airlines rent them out?

Any advice will be much appreciated :)

Pointless to take it in my opinion. Kids sit fine enough on their own. Could never see the benefit of the car seat up there. If you want, you can have kid in your lap for take off and land. Dont know of any RSA seats you can use here, sorry.

We traveled with out 2 year old without a car seat in the plane, to Oz, around Oz and back to RSA. I've never seen anybody use a car seat in a plane and I've flown at least 50 long hauls in my life.

Yes, what Chzaau said. I have never seen anybody use one on a plane (43 countries and counting). It would just be an extra thing to carry around with you. Maybe if you could still use it this side, but with that out of the picture, it is a huge, heavy white elephant.

We've only travelled with our son on a plane when he was a few months old so I am a bit clueless with a toddler. I was quite keen on a car seat because I doubt he will manage to sleep in a regular seat and I don't want to spend the flight with him asleep on my lap.

As for safety, what sort of harness is used if the kids aren't in car seats? I know infants under 2 can sit on their parents laps but what about the older ones?

Sorry for all the questions... really stressed about this long flight with my busy little guy

Don't worry too much - we've travelled with our two a lot since they were a few weeks old - we always expect the worst but they always seen to surprise us. If you accept that you're just not going to sleep much, just roll with it, I'm sure you'll come out on the other end thinking "that wasn't so bad"...

In terms of seat belts - older kids just use the same seat belts as adults. Really just for take-off and landing. The rest of the time they just run up and down the aisles screaming.

No, just kidding. We find that on night flights, our kids usually pass out. Given that he's 2, your son will have his own seat. Just grab extra pillows and blankets from the air crew and make him a bit of a nest. If it means lying half across you, so be it.

There is usually enough going on to keep them occupied until they pass out. Just bring toys, bribes...err... I mean treats... Which you bring out if/when you need to.

Always a good idea to give a toddler a brand new toy that they've never seen before on the plane - that should keep him happy for a bit.

Our (inexpensive) portable DVD players have been a lifesaver over the years, especially in airport terminals. iPads/tablets are a great babysitter as well.

• Like 2

They just have the normal lap belts that adults use. I tried to keep mine on my todder and as it's just a lap belt she didn't really notice it. For sleeping I lifted the armrest and let her sleep on me.

Sorry but those long flights are very uncomfortable, just keep the end in mind!!

If you allow you child to eat them, suckers can help if they get sore ears on landing. My daughter unfortunately had sore ears and when they are too young for bubble gum the throat lollies or suckers help :) Some people use Calpol-type stuff, etc to make the kids a little relaxed and drowsy, but you should probably ask a doctor about that. Mention that idea in Aus & you're in a spot of trouble ? there are also homeopathic drops if you're into that stuff.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Here's my post from a few years back.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/13163-childrens-car-seats-victoria/#entry226371

Even after all these years, yet to see something in OZ that is as good as our ISOFIX.

We've had it around 5 years now and our second child is using it. I trust ISOFIX so much we bought a specific car over others because it had ISOFIX.

-G

Hi there

When our son was about 9 months old we actually opted to go with the car seat scenario for him on a trip to RSA. Worked out great, would certainly do it again even though you do pay the toddler fare for the separate seat.

Unfortunately the only seats allowed in Aus are the ones sold here, so on that bases your plan won't work unless you want to use your RSA seat for the flight and buy an Aus one for here once you arrive. Drop me a line if you want any more info on the logistics of taking the seat on the plane.

Z

Did they allow you to take the seat on the plane? I would think they would want you to check it in as special luggage like they do with prams.

Nope. Because we booked the seat as a child travelling in a car seat the car seat does not get checked in. You carry it on with you and when you get onto the plane the cabin crew just help to put it in place (basically they strap it to the plane's seat using the standard lap belt through the back of the car seat). All we had to do was get a letter from Britax (distributor of Childcare which was our seat's brand) to say that our model meets FAA requirements and the ground crew checked that letter when we checked in. Getting the letter was simple as a phone call to Britax customer care; but they were on the ball and I guess it may be more of a hassle to get sorted for some depending on the brand of seat.

There are restrictions to the seats they allow too - they need to meet FAA requirements per a letter from manufacturer and can't be wider than a certain limit so some of the very big seats won't be allowed. A google search of the specific airline usually yields the dimensional restrictions - we found the info is actually on all the major airline's websites but not always easy to get to as not many folks take that option I guess.

It really made the flight a breeze though - bub literally slept like a baby all the way.

Z

Thanks for all the input and advice! I think we are going to hunt down an FAA approved car seat and use it for the flight. Will check out the dimensions on the Qantas website as well.

I know it will be a bit of a mission lugging it around but I'm worried my son won't want to be strapped in with the adult harness and a car seat might be more familiar and comfortable for him. It is basically just for the take-off, landing and hopefully some sleeping too :) It is a night flight so I am hoping I won't be spending every moment trying to keep him from running all over the plane and just generally creating chaos :)

I have a couple of ideas to keep him entertained on the plane and will definitely also be packing a new toy, our portable dvd player and some Barney classics, a few suckers and calpol.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

We're going with Emirates with a 4hour overlay at Dubai, then a second haul to Brisbane. Four children, 8yrs, 6yrs, 3yrs, 9 months(by then). Baby to old and long for a bassinet, I've been thinking about the option of a car seat ... otherwise the little man will have to sleep two days in my arms !! :blink: Since we asked for the bassinet seat space, I guess I can try to make him a bed at my feet, for there will be a little more floor room than usual. I hope ! Well, it's only once, I guess we'll survive, whatever happens ! :whome:

Unfortunately nobody is allowed to sleep on the floor, so the crew will ask you to put him on the seat pretty quickly.

Even though he's too big for the bassinet, we found the bassinet itself very handy for putting things in it - you know- all the 4 million accessories that come win with travelling children. That way they're all handy when you need them and you don't have to keep standing up to get into the overhead compartment.

Even though our kids were too old to sleep in it, we did put them there every now and again and they found it a novelty. Mostly they just sat in there and pulled faces at passengers :)

So still a good idea to book the bassinet.

Also, if the flight is not full, they usually try to accommodate those with small kids by giving you an extra couple of seats when you check in. These are handy come sleep time!

• Like 1

Aaaah, Thank You HansaPlease for all the tips, I think I'll start praying for a not-too-full plane then :) . The little man will have to make the bassinet his playpen then, and his mommy or daddy, his bed :wub: .

I did let my daughter sleep in the bassinet and she was 18 months old. I opened the press studs at the bottom so her feet could hang out, ha!

If you try and make a bed on the floor the hosties make you pick them up. It's a pain. But what can you do?

Alida have you considered stopping in Singapore for a night? Or even two? It is the perfect place to get rid of jetlag on the way to Bris. I know it will add to your cost but it might be worth it. You can sort out bags, bottles, showers and sleeep. Taxis are very cheap there and you don't need a visa. Maybe see if it's still an option. I think your task is a bit tough because you're planning a long road trip as soon as you arrive...?

One last tip: Having flown many many times with our little ones, something new happened on Qantas on our two flights in May and July. They would not let our toddler (18 months) board the flight without shoes on. This was a major problem as my son has a screaming fit if we try put shoes on him. Thankfully my wife had a pair in her bag (who knows what else is on that magic bag). But this was the first time they imposed this rule.

• Like 1

One last tip: Having flown many many times with our little ones, something new happened on Qantas on our two flights in May and July. They would not let our toddler (18 months) board the flight without shoes on. This was a major problem as my son has a screaming fit if we try put shoes on him. Thankfully my wife had a pair in her bag (who knows what else is on that magic bag). But this was the first time they imposed this rule.

Eish. Up there with 'This page has been left intentionally blank' in the visa forms. I'm thinking that blank form might give someone a paper cut, then what?? ?

I have been thinking about this car seat thing quite a bit, not so much for on the plane. My daughter will probably enjoy the novelty of sitting in a big people seat :) but what do you do for your first few car rides????

Any good websites that one can recommend for checking Aus rules on car seats etc..?

HI Splinky

We did our activation trip in Dec 2013 and we ordered new car seats on ebay that were FAA approved. We figured that our children would be needing them when we live there so we may as well buy them now.

Our friend paid for them with her Aus credit card and met us at the airport with them. We then travelled on emirates all around Aus and NZ with them and when we left Christchurch we did a HUGE longhaul trip (Chistchurch, Sydney, Bangkok, Dubai (for 8 hours-made use of Dubai connect) and back to JHB)... chairs collected at outsized baggage in massive plastic bags and now we use them in RSA.

@Alida .. you can do it ... Emirates are GREAT with kids. Make sure you have ordered kids meals.

Any good websites that one can recommend for checking Aus rules on car seats etc..?

Each state differs so here are the rules for my state - WA

http://www.ors.wa.gov.au/Documents/Seat-Belts/ors-child-car-restraints-faq

Thanks 189inprogress (and everyone else).

We have finally managed to find an FAA approved car seat on Gumtree! We will use it on the plane and for the first while in Aus as well, until we buy a new one there.

I did some looking into using a car seat on the plane and found that it is the safest place for the little ones to be. When you look at the research, it's actually hard to believe it isn't compulsory to use one. From age 2 to 4, a CARES harness is an alternative. You can get these online for around R2300.

So it seems Queensland are similar to WA. 0-6months rear facing seat. 6months-4 years in either a rear or forward facing car chair. 4-7 in a car chair or a booster seat. From 7yrs they can sit with just a normal seatbelt.

So next question. On the net it says our car chair is FAA approved (need to hunt through the booklet for the number). Should we bring the car chair with on the plane? Any recommendations from parents??

• 2 months later...

Just wondering (if you have left yet?) how you all managed on your flights (with or with out car seats) - we are leaving in January, my son will be a year old.