What to bring on the plane

bushlovers

Hallo, We are leaving SA early November... Our Container will be on its way October... Any advise on what to bring on the plane?

• Like 1

I'll be watching this topic. Especially if anyone has advise about what to bring for little kiddies.

Hallo, We are leaving SA early November... Our Container will be on its way October... Any advise on what to bring on the plane?

We're leaving on a jet plane on the 30th...

1. Have bought each member of the family a good pair of headphones each. Got the iPod loaded with music.

2. Got tablet charged for tablet crazed kids.

3. Bought a book by Biil Bryson called "Down Under" for my kindle for me.

4. Got good travel pillows

I hope I've covered everything...

• Like 1

Bring some RSA-Oz adaptors. dont forget chargers for all your electronic gadgets!

A multitool (I forgot scissors, so the multitool was great!)

I put things (like meds, make-up, little bits and pieces) in tupperware containers, so that I have some containers here.

A variety of medications that you commonly use, including prescriptions (and copy of the prescription for customs)

I brought an extra set of toiletries so that I didnt have to purchase these while not receiving and income.

Other things that you need will depend on where you will be going to...a holiday home, an empty flat, with family/friends.

Dont know what parents bring for little kids, i only had hubby and myself to worry about.

• Like 2

Don't forget to make sure your phones (and other electronics) are fully charged otherwise you may be denied boarding the flight - not sure if confirmed to be the case going to Oz, but I know it is the case if going to UK and US

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/new-airport-security-rule-means-some-passengers-wont-be-able-to-take-their-dead-phones-on-planes/story-fn6yjmoc-1226981443836

A compact light picnic set - great if you're 'making do' until your container arrives and for picnics too (at that time of the year you're likely to be outdoors a lot). Fold out picnic blanket also comes in handy (if you have the space).

We 'camped' for a few weeks before our container arrived, so I also had a pot and some towels and sheets in our luggage, as well as small toys to keep the children occupied. Oh, and a family photo to put up - makes any place, however temporary, feel like home :-)

• Like 1

Don't forget to make sure your phones (and other electronics) are fully charged otherwise you may be denied boarding the flight - not sure if confirmed to be the case going to Oz, but I know it is the case if going to UK and US

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/new-airport-security-rule-means-some-passengers-wont-be-able-to-take-their-dead-phones-on-planes/story-fn6yjmoc-1226981443836

The world has gone mad.

Next thing I will have to prove that my lip-ice makes my lips soft, just in case it's actually a plastic explosive.

I want to go live on a desert island.

• Like 4

Corded SA multiplug - when here go and buy a Aussie plug from Bunnings ($3) and replace the SA plug = cheap Aus-RSA adaptor that can charge all your devices.

(Some simple tools to do the above)

"Small" backpack if you are going to be using public transport daily.

What Chzaau said!

If you have space a couple of towels & (your own) pillowcases are good. It's the funny little things that cost you in the beginning. Maybe kitchen scissors? Pot? Iron? Hangars? A vase? ? New socks?? Pegs? I'm just trying to think of what I missed while we 'camped'. Obviously heavy things are not easy.

Luckily it's not Mars so you will find most stuff at the nearest Coles.

Bring cozzies (a rashie here is a swimming shirt & it's virtually mandatory for kids), suncream & caps/hats as it will be hot! Extra flip-flops...

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Also:

1) A comprehensive list of whats in your container

2) All your important documents scanned and stored on a memory stick

3) The names of the active ingredients in your medication. A pharmacy here can't sell you Med-Lemon. But if you tell them whats in it, they can give you an equivalent. If something works on your kids... stick with it.

4) Originals of the birth certificate of your kids and other important documents.

Also:

1) A comprehensive list of whats in your container

2) All your important documents scanned and stored on a memory stick

3) The names of the active ingredients in your medication. A pharmacy here can't sell you Med-Lemon. But if you tell them whats in it, they can give you an equivalent. If something works on your kids... stick with it.

4) Originals of the birth certificate of your kids and other important documents.

Keep docs on mem stick but upload to google docs (or similar) too - that way you can pretty much access anything everywhere if need be and pretty secure backup

Have documents on a memory stick. but do yourself a favour and print and certify a few copies of your identification, birth certificates, marriage certificates, passports and CV's (and any registration and degrees and certificates from your skills assessment). It becomes really expensive when you need a copy of everything for every little application (car, rental, job, etc) and you have to pay for computer/internet use, printing, and copying.

I remember running around like mad in a HUGE shopping center to the different computer then printing and copying place and then to certify it. was exhausting! My savior was having a handful of certified copies of passports, visa letter, etc already done from RSA.

You will still need to get multiple certified copies of your new drivers licence and bank cards when you are here as these all form part of your 100 points to identification.

We also took our children's school reports on the plane but the school wasn't interested.

Vaccination records might be handy.

Also I vaguely remember trying to get a no claim bonus letter from Outsurance and a bond bank stm to show prospective landlords...but that bit might be ok from the net.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Mmmmm with a 4 and 6 year old ig will be a long flight. 14 hours? Then another 2hours domestic if going to qld.

I heard there are movies and games for kids on planes? The furthest i have flown was to cape town. 2hours.......

The book Down Under is a great read, I'm currently 2/3 through.

I packed a 'starter kit' for hubby - one pot, small pan, plastic cup, plate, sharp knife (scissors important for opening boxes and other things), fork, spoon, duvet, pillow, covers etc. - you get the idea - just to make it through your first week or make your own cup of coffee (in case you can't get to shops immediately - or in case you have to drag a couple of bags up hills to your new place!). Believe me, he used it.

Adaptors very important, although everything can be found here.

I wouldn't bother with cosmetics (shampoo, deo, toothpaste) too much, it's not more expensive here. Rather use the weight for other important things (to me that was our coffee machine!).

I landed in June and wished I packed more sweaters and warm clothes with me! Those only came in the first boxes and boy was I happy to see them.

Mmmmm with a 4 and 6 year old ig will be a long flight. 14 hours? Then another 2hours domestic if going to qld.

I heard there are movies and games for kids on planes? The furthest i have flown was to cape town. 2hours.......

Trix they are going to love it. My kids used to get totally immersed in the computer games and movies. All the food & drinks are free (on the international leg. On domestic you might have to pay about $6 for a muffin, so fill up on the free stuff before?) Just remember to contact your airline about a week before to book kids meals. They usually get nicer stuff like juices and kiddie food instead of adults stuff. Sometimes they get a little toy or colouring in pack. They are a great age to fly, you can also catch up on as many movies as you can handle.

Don't be afraid to tell the hosties you haven't flown int'l before. They will show you how the tvs work etc. It's the silly things like opening the tiny toothpaste and locking the toilet door which makes the light go on.

My poor granny flew to England years ago and she told me long after, that she couldn't see anything in the toilet because it was pitch dark and people kept opening the door, shame!?

I always take a soft jersey (we call it a jumper here) because planes get chilly. What airline are you flying? SAA is a bit lousy but the rest are better...

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Thank you for the helpful information......

Bronwyn we havent booked our tickets yet... but we most proberly will fly Qantas .... we also got quotes from Pickfords, Crown and Stuttaford van Lines for our containers..... We need to finalise all this by the end of the week.... any suggestions?

• Like 1

Thank you for the helpful information......

Bronwyn we havent booked our tickets yet... but we most proberly will fly Qantas .... we also got quotes from Pickfords, Crown and Stuttaford van Lines for our containers..... We need to finalise all this by the end of the week.... any suggestions?

We used Magna but I don't hear much about them. They were great.

Hey everyone

We are flying Quantas at the end of November and this list has been great - thanks!!!

Keep the suggestions coming

The over night flights have nothing (NOTHING) to keep kids busy. My kids was also not interested in the food (they are very fussy eaters), so I decided to take sealed packets of anything they can nibble on during the flight in my hand luggage and just make sure it is consumed before landing.