Some great Aussie websites & ways to save money

eitai2001

Hi Guys

Yesterday and today I came across some really awesome websites (which have probably been mentioned here before, but I'll mention them again for other newcomers like myself ;) )and tips to save money.

Sites:

- www.ozbargain.com.au - Lists awesome deals which are current and upcoming throughout Aus. I mean some really amazing deals (and some not so amazing ones too). Also, there are plenty of tips to be had in the forums.

For example, there is an upcoming deal on 23rd August, which would be fun for kids, where KFC will give you a tour of how they make their chicken, followed by a 2 piece chicken meal ... for free!

- www.cashrewards.com.au - Free to register, and lists plenty of online shops, where if you go to the shop via the link on their site you can get cashback rewards provided you meet the T&C's. They also have some discount coupons too. (You can even get cash back for some Ebay Aus purchases).

For example, I found that if you join Amaysim through their site, and sign up for the unlimited bundle, you will get a 40% discount off the first month + a $52 cash back upon sim activation.

- www.shopadocket.com.au - Appears to have some nice coupons, such as buy 1 meal get 1 free, etc.

Cheap movie tickets:
Check this link for a way to get $11 movie tickets :D - http://www.dealon.com.au/articles/smart-australians-pay-11-for-movies-a-18.html

- Free voucher to join bank - If you plan on joining ING Bank, if you register before the 5th September, you can get $75 credited to your account as long as you deposit $1000 (I.e. a salary) into the account before 31st October. Alternatively you can get a $250 voucher for www.theiconic.com.au, but you must open the account before 31 Aug and deposit the $1000 by 8 Sep ... there is no requirement to keep the $1000 in there after you deposit it, just that you do deposit it. So withdraw it immediately if you use another everyday account.

Link to $75 Cash Back offer: https://www.campaigns.ingdirect.com.au/everyday-banking-sem?cid=ps%3Agoo%3Abrn%3Abrs#!/Form

(The $75 is taxable)

Link to The Iconic $250 Voucher offer: https://www.campaigns.ingdirect.com.au/theiconic?cid=edm:icn:red:AU_INGD_OE_Q2_2014#!/Main

Also, if you deposit $1000 each month (again no requirement to keep it in there), you don't pay bank charges and can use ANY atm in Australia for free (I think minimum withdrawal is $200 though). Also, you get 2% cash back to your account if you use your Visa Paywave for amounts under $100.

***Tip*** - If you need to purchase something big at a department store, buy $100 vouchers by paying $1 cash and $99 on the Visa Paywave. Purchase the vouchers on different days and, if possible, different stores and they won't pick up it is for the same purchase. Also buy vouchers if you want to pay stuff online, that way you still get the 2% cash back ;) ... Keep in mind, while this IS perfectly legal, it goes against the intent and good nature of the offer, and doing this may result in you no longer getting the offer ... though most people haven't had an issue as long as they don't split the bill all in 1 shop at the same time.

- Great buyer protection - If you join 28degrees.com.au for a Platinum Credit Card (Pending approval of course), there are no international fees or commissions if you purchase goods online (In other currencies) or out the country. Furthermore they have an optional insurance extra (See tip below on how not to pay insurance premium ;) ) called buyer protection. Basically if you buy a product, say an iPad, for say $600 at a store (Lets say The Good Guys at an example), and within 6 months you see the same iPad at The Good Guys (Online or Instore) on sale for a lesser amount (Say $400), they will pay you back the difference, which in this example is $200. So essentially you will get the difference back if you found a product you bought already for cheaper ... PROVIDED that it is within 6 months of the purchase date AND is at the same company you purchased it from (Location doesn't matter, but must be the same company). For example, a lady on the OzBargains forum bought shoes for $200, then a few weeks later they were on sale for $50 ... so she claimed and got $150 back. The premium to be paid is 0.5% of the amount owed to the bank on the credit card when you get your statement up to $50. So if you're statement says you owe the bank $1,000 .. your premium will be $5.

***Tip*** - If you pay off your credit card prior to the statement close date, so that your statement shows you owe the bank $0, your premium will be free!!! 0.5% of $0 is $0 ;) ... This is perfectly legal :)

- Great savings rate - If you would like a bank linked savings account, www.ubank.com.au is lowering their minimum deposit from $5000 to $1 until 31 October for the USaver Ultra account. The current interest rate is 4.17% including bonus rate. To get the bonus rate, from 25th August, you only need to deposit $200 per month (Until now it has been $2000 per month :o ) - Link here: https://www.ubank.com.au/transaction-accounts

Those are the tips that I found today ... hope they save some of you some money and help you find great deals ;)

Regards

Itai

Edited by eitai2001
  • Like 5

Here is a nice one if you like Hungry Jacks

http://www.hungryjacks.com.au/vouchers/deals/download

They are vouchers - many of which offer a 50% discount or a two for one deal. Simply print out on your printer, keep it in your car for when needed and present when purchasing.

• Like 2

Whoa that movie one is a good one! I'm switching medical aid providers soon and the one I'm moving to doesn't have cheap movies. Definitely going to use that one.

If you buy an Entertainment Book (available at most schools and charitable organisations) they also have great deals on movie tickets (and loads of other stuff).

We have a Reading cinema nearby and also get $11 tickets.

• Like 1

Ditto what Sibella said. We buy an Entertainment book every year. I see this year it's available in digital format too

http://www.entertainmentbook.com.au/about/tell-me-more/melbourne

It runs mid-year to mid-year so now's the time to buy & your purchase goes to a good cause too.

• Like 1

Ditto what Sibella said. We buy an Entertainment book every year. I see this year it's available in digital format too

http://www.entertainmentbook.com.au/about/tell-me-more/melbourne

It runs mid-year to mid-year so now's the time to buy & your purchase goes to a good cause too.

We bought the digital one this year and have $50 of redemptions already :) Plus they are posting out $50 virgin travel voucher for signing up.

So much better that you can claim without needing the book with you. Can put 1 account on 3 mobile devices I think.

If you buy an Entertainment Book (available at most schools and charitable organisations) they also have great deals on movie tickets (and loads of other stuff).

We have a Reading cinema nearby and also get $11 tickets.

We use a chain of cinemas in Brisbane where normal full price is $8.50 so always disappointed in a way that we can't use the $11 vouchers :)

Edited by Fish
  • Like 2

Loving theses tips!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We bought the digital one this year and have $50 of redemptions already :) Plus they are posting out $50 virgin travel voucher for signing up.

So much better that you can claim without needing the book with you. Can put 1 account on 3 mobile devices I think.

We use a chain of cinemas in Brisbane where normal full price is $8.50 so always disappointed in a way that we can't use the $11 vouchers :)

We went to a performance of The Planets by the Queensland Youth Symphony at the QPAC concert hall on the weekend. They are the leading ensemble of the Queensland Youth Orchestras.

With our entertainment card membership it only cost us a total of $43 for both of us. The performance was fabulous and we really enjoyed it. Another +1 for the entertainment card !!!

• Like 2

Fish I bought mine online yesterday. Yoohooo bye, diet! ?

Oi just realised I didn't get a Virgin travel voucher. Oh well that's probably a good thing. It would have inspired us to spend $600 on flying somewhere...

Another tip:

If you put in Petrol at a Caltex you swipe your Myer card to get points...

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 2

Fish I bought mine online yesterday. Yoohooo bye, diet!

Oi just realised I didn't get a Virgin travel voucher. Oh well that's probably a good thing. It would have inspired us to spend $600 on flying somewhere...

Another tip:

If you put in Petrol at a Caltex you swipe your Myer card to get points...

I had to enter my Velocity number after purchase and the voucher ended up being emailed to me as a code to enter at checkout rather than snail mail.

If you haven't noticed yet, when you redeem an offer the app records the use of that offer and records either zero or the full amount of the purchase, rather than the actual amount you saved. You can go in to the bottom right menu, select a submenu I forget the name of, and then edit the amount to reflect your savings...it's nice to actually track how much discount it has given you.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 2