Weekly, Monthly, Qtrly and Annual Payments

Elliottdean

Hey all

I notice from other posts in the forum that many of the monthly expenses we are used to in RSA are not paid monthly in Australia.

Could someone please give me an indication of what is paid when, for example:

Rent - i know weekly

Gas

Water

Electricity

Medical aid/insurance (private)

Ambulance cover

Car insurance

House Contents Insurance

Life Insurance

Car registration & License

School fees (if applicable)

Internet / telephone / TV subs (eg: Optus)

Thanks.

Rent is not always paid weekly. The amount is often quoted weekly but it's paid monthly.

• Like 1

Rent - i know weekly- could also be fortnightly as in our case

Gas , water & electricity - quarterly, although you now have the option to do monthly

Medical aid/insurance (private) - monthly but if you have the money you can choose to pay yearly and then qualify for a small discount

Ambulance cover - is normally included in private health cover

Car insurance, House Contents Insurance - monthly but you can choose to pay yearly and get a small discount

Life Insurance - ours is quoted weekly but because it forms part of our Super, I don't really have to budget for it

Car registration & License - yearly or half yearly

School fees (if applicable) - once a year or as required

Internet / telephone / TV subs (eg: Optus) - monthly

Edited by Heymanse

Excellent, thanks Heymanse and HansaPlease.

now i can do my cashflow :ilikeit:

Just (for others maybe reading this) make sure about the ambulance cover being included in pvt health cover. I think there are still some states where this is a little different. Check on your med aid's website.

In Qld it is included.

Also, you can usually choose if you want to pay your rent weekly, fortnightly or monthly. You can match it up to your income.

Monthly rental is a bit unusual, we did it when we first arrived, but we had a private landlord, it was not really through the agent.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

when we rented it was paid weekly...

water and electricity every 3 months

internet phone etc every month

but then people get paid at different intervals too, my hubby is paid weekly, I do locum work for Education Queensland and get paid fortnightly

Hey Elliottdean,

Its almost impossible to plan your monthly expenses accurately. The best place to start is, UBank's People Like U site, http://www.peoplelikeu.com.au/

The first golden rule is to pick the right suburb. There are people earning from minimum wage, to 300k+ in Aus. They all live somewhere and make it work. People Like U can tell you what people in each suburb typically earn.

Go on Seek.com.au and or use a free salary survey to see what your job typically pays. Then use People Like U to select the right suburb. Don't go for a cheaper suburb. If you are a lawyer, you don't want to live next to guys who sweep the streets, you probably want to live around other skilled workers.

From there on in, trust the system. You know that people with your salary are happily living in your chosen suburb and thus you can be happy there two.

Unfortunately, you can't plan down to the nearest $10.

Edited by monsta

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget annual council rates (if you own a home) ?