Uniquely African

SAHort

Ok I am a bit of a bushbaby, and have lived in the countryside all my life. I wake up with vervet monkeys running across the roof and the mongose on my window sill and I get to see a bit of game on my way to work. I am always out checking out new wildflowers, due to my interest in botany, and for those in the know SA is obviously the best place in the world for that, so I do a lot of field trips around SA. I enjoy hiking in the Magaliesburg on weekends. I am really worried that I will be miserable because I will miss all these things so much when I'm living in Perth. I want to find out how other country folk such as me have adjusted to life in Aus without all the things I have mentioned. I realise for somebody who lived in the city all the time in SA the transition to Aus mostly results in a huge improvement in ones environment, so am more interested in hearing from people who had a lot of what I have mentioned above and how you put it behind you taking into account that these things are a part of Africa, and unfortunately we cant take them with us :) . Thanks.

Thanks Fish, yeah unfortunately I need to be in the city for work. The Sterling Range is probably my best part of WA, a pity there aren't more mountains around. The rest reminds me of the grass flats of the Freestate. WA for someone that is into wildflowers is definitely the best state to be in as far as Aus is concerned, unfortunately one invariably starts comparing with SA, which I know I shouldnt do. Obviously in SA there are so many mountain ranges to explore and the country is blessed with a huge variety of wildflowers and animals. I will miss it.

I have found it hard as a keen birdwatcher, at the apparent lack of birds of prey where we are. not seeing monkeys and little buck on land which is calling out for it. I find it sad.

That said, there really is a lot of plant life, and you will be familiar with some of them, as there are many plants etc that we know from RSA.

There are other things though, the walks, the forests and the drives even are great.

Thanks Fish, yeah unfortunately I need to be in the city for work. The Sterling Range is probably my best part of WA, a pity there aren't more mountains around. The rest reminds me of the grass flats of the Freestate. WA for someone that is into wildflowers is definitely the best state to be in as far as Aus is concerned, unfortunately one invariably starts comparing with SA, which I know I shouldnt do. Obviously in SA there are so many mountain ranges to explore and the country is blessed with a huge variety of wildflowers and animals. I will miss it.

That's a shame...I imagine moving to a city will be hard for you so hopefully you'll find other joys to compensate. Over here in Brisbane we have plenty of fantastic mountain ranges, rainforests, animals and birds close by to explore but not many wildflowers unless you drive out into the far flung regional areas so still no good for you :)

Edited by Fish