Taking our car from South Africa as opposed to buying a new one in Oz

alanac

Hi,

Would like to hear pro's and con's of this choice?

Has anybody done this?

Thanx

Alana

Hi,

We don't have any experience with taking a car over, but everywhere we looked for help just made it look way too expensive and such a mission that my husband ( who absolutely loves his car) gave up the hope of taking his car with us. Hopefully somebody can give you a more detailed reply.

Good luck x

If you reeeeally love the car, it's a classic or a luxury/sports car then it seems worth it.

If it's just a normal car then financially it doesn't make a lot of sense and probably isn't worth the hassle.

That seems to be the general consensus when the question is asked.

Agree with Hansa. Unless it's vintage, collectable or extremely rare leave it behind. Cars here are relatively cheap depending of course on youe taste but besides that the hassel of the export and import of a vehicle is just not worth it.

The overall concensus on the forum is that it is not worth it, however I recently was chatting to a new arrival from the UK who brought over their car and the process as they explained it seemed very simple and relatively cheap. The car they brought over was an ordinary family station wagon (Jaguar - 8 years old, value about $18000 I think) which was cheap in the UK but expensive in Aus.

Hi Guys,

The cost/process from the UK is different from the UK, also if they are from that country, as I understood it from a mate, they get certain benefits. I too love my cars, and they were paid up, but the sheer cost is mad to bring them over here. Plus a swag of other rules, regulations, etc, not too mention a decent insurance loading. I would sell it and get something here, the selection here is far superior in any event,.

We just bought a car as we have arrived a week ago.....the car we bought was R100,000 cheaper than what we would have paid for it in RSA. It had 6000km on it, considered 2nd hand, but was only driven by the dealers at the dealership. If we would have bought the same in RSA, it would have been considered as a demo model, so the discount you get on it is less.

Also, you need to go for what it general in Aus, as it differs from what is considered general in RSA.....Saffers drive VW and toyota (mostly), but here they are very expensive and you can get the same type of car (or even better) for less, just because it is from japan.....do take service cost into consideration as well

It's worth it from the UK because cars are so cheap there ;)

Hi Renny,

For interest sake, what did you buy? :blush:

Edited by PARKS
  • Like 1

Indeed cars are dirt cheap in th UK...

• Like 1

Started with Holden Captiva 7 seater - good value for money. Later added a Daewoo Matiz (station car). Then sold the Matiz and bought 2005 Jeep Cherokee Renegade. Drove the Holden longer than any car in my life! 6 years! At last now after 6 years I am back where I want to be.. Just sold the Holden an bought X5 3.0d and VW Touareg V10 TDI. Two absolutely AWESOME cars. Holden and German is still just worlds apart! Happy car hunting.

Hey Parks. . . We decided to only get one car for now so we got a mitshubishi Outlander 2nd hand with 6000km on the clock. We have a baby on the way and two small dogs coming in Oct so my only requirements was that we needed space but I wanted a car that was light on petrol. So far very impressed as we are getting 6,7 liter/100km. Probably cause we are keeping well within the speed limits:)

• Like 2