Affordable Furnished accommodation

nicknel

Hi Guys and Gals from Adelaide

We received our Visa last week and are planning on leaving by latest end of October.

Where did you guys live when you arrived in Adelaide for the first while?

Our movecubes will take 84 days to deliver so we are probably going to need furnished accommodation.

I hope you can help me. :D

Nicknel we stayed at the Adelaide Caravan park in Hackney. It is expensive (but still the cheapest we could find) but it was fine. I recommend trying b & b's also, if you email and ask for a weekly rate they will do better rates. Also Airbnb is worth trying.

By the way it will be cheaper to look for your rental as soon as you can and just 'camp out' there ;). Blow up matresses and a cheap bar fridge works! That's what we did after the caravan park.

http://www.adelaidecaravanpark.com.au/linked/mobile_index.asp?PageID=0

There are other caravan parks at Brownhill creek, Adelaide Shores and Belair. If you book a cabin the quality is ok.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Check Airbnb, but also takeabreak.com.au. We're renting a house in Victor harbor through them for the weekend (second time). Usually a lot cheaper than hotel and usually has a weekly rate. Caravan parks are also pretty cheap.

Check Airbnb, but also takeabreak.com.au. We're renting a house in Victor harbor through them for the weekend (second time). Usually a lot cheaper than hotel and usually has a weekly rate. Caravan parks are also pretty cheap.

I dunno about cheap. The basic cabin is $129 to $146 per night. Still $900 a week. I think that's terrible.

• Like 1

I know in Brisbane if you look in local low key holiday areas like Redcliffe you can get cheap weekly holiday lets...usually people renting out an investment unit they own next to the beach.

They advertise them through local real estate agents as holidays lets and they are priced by the week, not by the night. If you stick with something simple you can get it quite cheap, like $350-$500 per week.

Search local real estate websites until you find one with a holidays lets category.

• Like 1

Thank you, really helps alot will have a look at all your suggestions.

When we arrived in 2007 we rented a furnished holiday home for a few weeks and then a furnished home for 3 months. We had a shared container and it took months for our stuff to arrive!

If you do go this route it's best to book many months in advance...especially during the peak period at the end of the year. You should be ok in October and you should be able to get a fully furnished house with internet for around $100 per night and maybe cheaper depending upon your length of stay.

All the best with your move.

When we arrived in 2007 we rented a furnished holiday home for a few weeks and then a furnished home for 3 months. We had a shared container and it took months for our stuff to arrive!

If you do go this route it's best to book many months in advance...especially during the peak period at the end of the year. You should be ok in October and you should be able to get a fully furnished house with internet for around $100 per night and maybe cheaper depending upon your length of stay.

All the best with your move.

Hey Tamara where would you recommend looking for the fully furnished house? We really struggled with that, even after 4 years of living in Adelaide I wouldn't know what to recommend...

• 1 month later...

Hey Tamara where would you recommend looking for the fully furnished house? We really struggled with that, even after 4 years of living in Adelaide I wouldn't know what to recommend...

Airbnb does have some furnished homes but has plenty of rooms / space to share.

There is a real problem with furnished rentals. I know of 4 owners who have packed in renting furnished homes...all in the past year. Unfurnished rents have risen but there's a resistance to paying what people may see as being a high rent for a furnished property. This is despite the cost being around $100 per night comapared with a holiday site chalet at $150 plus. I work closely with other rental companies and there's a referal system where details can be passed on.

The period ahead is already booked solid and bookings for the winter next year are already coming in.

We don't seem to leave ourselves enough time...remember the drivers licence fiasco where the lines of people who left it to the last minute went on forever?!!

Look and book 6 to 9 months ahead of travel!

Web stes like Stayz and Flipkey have plenty of holiday rentals. If you are arriving in peak period expect to pay peak price but if it's in the off peak period DO NOT pay full price. Make them an offer...negotiate.

It's also an idea to stay for a longer period and take advantage of a discounted rate for longer bookings. You don't pay full price for anything in Australia...haggle!

Tamara

• Like 1

Those are only rooms though? Bit of a problem if you have 16 suitcases & 4 kids...

I think there is a massive shortage.

We stayed at a great place (granny flat) 2 years ago, just off the Southern Parklands & now I can't find it on the net either....I agree with Tamara.

Those are only rooms though? Bit of a problem if you have 16 suitcases & 4 kids...

I think there is a massive shortage.

We stayed at a great place (granny flat) 2 years ago, just off the Southern Parklands & now I can't find it on the net either....I agree with Tamara.

There are both houses and rooms. I always search for "whole house" and the link above is for whole houses so yes 16 suitcases and 4 kids would be fine if you book a house with enough bedrooms. It's up to you to choose what you need.