Hi there!

Piper100

We are new to the forum and thought of introducing ourselves.

We have just started our journey to Australia after contemplating the move for a while, well actually for quite some years.

Our skills assessment was submitted in June so we are eagerly awaiting the result. IELTS was done this past Saturday (phew!) and we are also waiting to see how it went. It seems that if everything goes according to plan we will settle in Adelaide.

It might sound awkward, but my question to everyone is when is too old too old to emigrate? Not meaning in terms of the points, but when speaking to people we do sometimes get the reply that it is questionable if we should make the move at our age. One do get the reaction that at our age you are already too settled, you have life policies and retirement annuities running for years already etc. I am 43 years of age and my better half is 41 years old - we (unfortunately) do not have kids. We are 100% sure of our decision, but I would like to hear your comments and experience in terms of making the move at this age.

Edited by Piper100

Hi Piper100

Welcome to the forum. My wife and I are both 42 and have 2 kids. You stil have plenty of time to carry on building and securing your retirement.

Good luck and I hope it all goes smoothly, may run into you in Adelaide some day as thats also where we are going :-)

Paul.

Hi Piper, we are also 42 and 40, 4 kids. Don't worry about being too old, the retirement age has been raised, you'll have plenty of time - but, if you enjoy what you're doing, why retire ? :whome:

• Like 2

If Aus is happy to have you then you can't be too old! :)

The sooner you make that change the better irrespective of your age, some people at 40 want to fine tune and ease up... Others of us realize that can wait a while. We are both 40 and are bout to make the move...

There is nothing too old about 40+.... So long as you believe you can, I am sure you can!

• Like 1

Hi piper, we are also about there, 38 and 42 with 2kiddeos aged 4 and 6.

You are as old as you feel. Lol. O goodness, listen to me.......

At this age a person knows more what you want as with the late 20's?

With us it's about the kids, yes, but also for us. Fed up with this life here and ready ( or stupid...lol) to start a new life with a better future. I mean we have been living for 18 years in the same house, the same firm/job.

Or we all are having midlife crisesses??... hie hie hie

Hi there. And welcome.

Must admit I also wonder about that question...

We are both 42 and starting from scratch is so daunting.

I mean, my degree is not even accepted in Aus, so I have to go back to studying for a while before I can start earning.

Studying! My goodness. How?

• Like 1

Well we are 43 and 48 now but we've been here 7,5 years. My hubby's 40th dinner was also a bit of a farewell back then. I don't think you're too old at all. You probably have a bit more energy, time & money than people with a few kids too. So enjoy the ride :)

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Hubby and I were both 44 when we left RSA, never looked back, and after 20,5 years, very happy with our decision!

Welcome to the forum!

We both are 43 years old with 2 kids aged 14 and 11 and no regrets re the move.

Just ensure that you manage your financial portfolio properly.

All the best with your journey!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the encouraging words!

We realize that this is not going to be a walk in the park, but we are sure we`ll make it though.

Hi Piper

My husband and I are both 46; we moved to Perth 6 months ago with 3 children. Our youngest is three and in fact we had to hold up our application for a few months months because I was pregnant with our last, but we were back on track again when he was born. We gave it all up and it's been an easy enough transition for all of us. We love it here.

Hi Piper

I was 44 when I left SA six and a half years ago. You can work out my current age from that.

I had a BTech (Eng) degree when I arrived and have been back to university to complete a BEng (Civil) degree.

I graduated just before I turned the big five zero.

I am still with the same employer who sponsored my original 457 visa and we are all Australian Citizens now.

So, I think where there is a will, there is a way, regardless of age.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. We moved in our forties, obviously the disadvantage to moving later is not having as much for your retirement, but I would rather be 'poor' and retired in Australia than retiring in RSA.

And we LOVE living here and wouldn't change it for anything.

Welcome....warning you will get addicted!

Moving in your 40s is good age, the retirement age is now at 70 and you probably know very well what you want out of life. If you have made the decision to move it is great, I think that is the toughest part.

Keep in mind that in Australia people are generally not fussed (or at all interested) by your age, qualifications, where you live, where you work, what you drive etc when they meet you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Welcome to the forum,I'm 48 my wife 38 and 2 kids (18 & 14 )

4 years ago we sold everything we had in SA.We landed in Brisbane with our suitcases and some money in the bank and started our new life.Never look back!

Piper100 - we seem to be in a similar boat - just one year younger each , also sadly no kids. It was most encouraging to read the replies to your question about age. Just started the ball rolling with our application. Currently getting skills assessed and waiting to write IELTS on 20/09

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for all the replies. Sure glad we`re not the only one`s in the 40`s that`s decided enough is enough.

Well I passed the IELTS and is still awaiting the Vetassess result....I believe this is taking longer and longer to get. However we are prepared to wait as we are sure it will be worth it!

Edited by Piper100

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, we are so excited!!! Vetasses came back positive after 13 weeks. Now applied for state sponsorship for South Australia - phew, another 8-12 weeks` wait. It seems that our timing will be a bit off ito December/ January to lodge. We just hope that we wouldn`t be bumped to the next year (July 2015).

• Like 2

Well done Piper100! Wish you all the best with what is to come! Gaan groot! :magic: