Failed my Driving Test

Zim

So... while you lucky South Africans stroll into DVS and happily change your licenses over, it is a little known fact that those of us from North of the Limpopo have to re-do the whole &*&^%%$ thing.... :closedeyes:

Today was not so good - I waited 3 months for my practical assessment only to fail because it seems that I think STOP signs are more of a guideline than a rule.... I know it sounds crazy, surely I would have been more careful but 15 years of bad habits take a lot to get rid of.

So there you have it - very frustrated and whats worse I cried in front of the instructor!!!! Just a build up of everything we have been through and then this poor instructor has to have me sobbing on their paperwork!

Eish...

I feel for you Zim. I am just glad I didn't have to do mine over. :hug:

Shame Zim! If it helps I failed mine too, for speeding. I apparently went faster than 10kph in the parking lot of the test centre. Quickest driving test ever & $110 later. I also cried my eyes out. I was so furious because there were no speed signs anywhere & nothing in the Learner's book.

3 days later I went again, same woman but she charged me $90 because she felt sorry for me, and passed.

I think it's worth paying for one driving lesson to get the basics like what order to check mirrors, etc.

Fingers crossed for next time!

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Deepest deepest sympathies! If it makes you feel better I nearly cried in the supermarket because I found the sausages confusing. At least you had a good reason.

• Like 7

If you both (Zim and Dxb2oz) would like to feel better, I have just received a speeding fine ($150.00) and two demerits for forgetting that the speedlimit through residential areas in Perth is 50 km. Not bad for a newbie in Perth who has never had a traffic fine in all my life. Shed a few tears on that one!!

Got flashed going through a red turning arrow at the robot - still waiting to see what damage that will be

.I think it's worth paying for one driving lesson to get the basics like what order to check mirrors, etc.

Very good idea, I think. No matter how used to driving we are, another country may have some small differences we are not used to.

Deepest deepest sympathies! If it makes you feel better I nearly cried in the supermarket because I found the sausages confusing. At least you had a good reason.

Crying about confusing sausages sounds like a good reason to me, haha! You're out of your comfort zone when you make such a big change, and all the differences can get overwhelming. I probably would have cried about that too!

• Like 1

Fully agree about the driving test. Have been driving for 20 years, but pretty certain I would fail if I had to redo my test! Studies show that most of us would.

I failed mine the first time.......back in the days when we all had to do the driving test..................and I completely understand the stop thing..............if it helps, come to the stop and pull up the handbrake, and then look to the left and the right and in your rearview mirror and over your shoulder.....................like you are doing a mime or something............................BTW, I got a $330 fine a month ago for not stopping at a stop street.................I swear I fully paused!!!!

I failed my test because as I was pulling up to the test centre there was a dilly pedestrian standing in the parking space...........I slowly nudged into the space...............to show the dill that I wanted him to move on so I could park..........................the examiner wrote on my sheet in big red letters..............."We must not run over pedestrians!!".

Go for one driving lesson with someone recommended by the test centre and they will give you all the tips needed for test day.

• Like 1

I think fines are cheaper in NSW. I've been driving here in Australia for 7,5 years with a totally clear record and suddenly get 2 in one month ? $146 for 7 kms over in Bne and $110 for 11 kms over in Nsw. Meh! In my defence it was a 110km highway which kept going down to 50 in these little towns, and I'd only slowed down to 61 when I got flashed.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Got flashed going through a red turning arrow at the robot - still waiting to see what damage that will be

Hubby did the same the other day. Fine was around the $300 mark and 3 demerit points. That's in NSW.

I feel your pain. Hubby took 3 tests to get his license. A SA lady at my office took 4 times before passing the computer reaction test. When you've been driving for more than a decade, it's frustrating to have to go through that again. I was so stressed, before getting my results I told the hubby that if I didn't make it, I would prefer just making use of public transport rather than go through that test again. Luckily I made it, he wasn't as fortunate.

Ha ha ja nee, we went for one lesson each, worked a charm we both passed first time!

Can't say that for the hazard perception test, I had to do that twice :(

You are not alone. Also failed first time after driving 25 years. Also did not stop dead, aarrgghh! But it's all good. Passed next time round as you know what they are strict on.

I think there has been a definite uptick in cameras and fines. No fines since we arrived and then 3 in a space of 3 months. 2 in the stupid tunnel just before the speed limit increases and the third rushing to a parent teacher interview. Decidedly unimpressed and driving much slower as there is no 3km tolerance given, all mine were just over the speed limit.

I did that with a colleague in the car (first couple of weeks in my first job) and she almost had a heart attack. Ooops.

Only fine we have ever had was when we lent our car to saffers visiting and they got a speeding fine!

Hi Zim,

your problem is that you failed the African rule of the road, "Drive like you stole it!" LOL. Sorry to hear matey, keep that chin up, and try again mate. :jester: :jester: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

I feel for you. Hope the second time around is successful! So happy to be South African at the moment - know I would've failed if I had to do the driver's test, especially driving an automatic! I'll take manual over automatic any day...

I am so lucky that having lived in the UK for the past 14 years I will not have to resit my driving test.

OH reckons I still drive like a real Zimbo.

I will really, really need to learn to slow down. Here in the UK doing 30 in a 20 (school zone) is no big deal where I live whereas in Perth is it a cardinal sin!

I'm not too good on coming to a full stop at intersections either....oops!

I changed mine over the other day, took 1o minutes and got it in the post 5 days later.

I did get a fine for $200 cause I was reported for throwing a cigarette stub out the window,

• Like 1

I changed mine over the other day, took 1o minutes and got it in the post 5 days later.

I did get a fine for $200 cause I was reported for throwing a cigarette stub out the window,

Thank you Magman, you just made me giggle!

Houston, we have a problem........

So where can a person buy a car that can only drive slow?...

Everone tells me i drive like a taxi in pretoria........ (due to driving between allot of them for years going go work...)

Or like a collegue once told me, i drive like a man.

Will have to drive with a gps on aaaalll the time to warn me about speeding....

People, i forseen problems. How many pionts before your licence it suspended?

• Like 1