I guess we're moving to Bundaberg, Queensland. Much advice needed

milo23

HI Everyone

I need as much advice as possible. Don't have a clue where to start.

My husband applied for a job as a doctor in Bundaberg, Queensland. It took us by surprise as we were planning on going to Canada for a year of making lots of money and experiencing a different life. But thanks to the SA govt, who have made deals with the Canadians not to accept SA doctors, the Canadian dream dies a disappointing death. We decided to go for Australia. After a successful interview last week we received a letter from the hospital's HR dept to say that he was successful and pending the outcome of his criminal record check (Australian one), references and "continuing registration" with AHPRA (like HPCSA here) the job is his. The boss wants him to start in January which is perfect as his registrar contract end here on 31 Dec.

So .....What are the chances that visas will be done by then? I don't even know yet is Queensland Health does that or we have to??? Anyone done this before?

Can we start applying for police clearance etc, getting chest xrays etc? So that its all done. We have the kids unabridged birth certificates and have applied for our unabridged marriage certificate.

Must we apply for Primary source verification for the Australian Medicial Council or wait for Queensland Health?

How do I choose a school for my son (has to start prep next year) when I don't know where we will live?

ACEM says (or the secretary working for them) that my husband's Fellowship is not recognised in Oz so he has to do 12-24 mths supervised practice and then write the exams. So he has to work as a Registrar (about $100k) a year. Don't even know if thats enough to be reasonably comfortable?????

So thats our story and some of the millions of questions that float around my head throughout the day and night.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Hi... will try answer though the Voices of Experience will probably add more value.

Firstly: deep breaths! It will be ok!

Yes, it is enough time seeing that you have most docs. Keep proof of application for the marriage one in case you need it for the EOI if it's delayed (so you can at least show it has been requested).

Contact Queensland Health and ask them what they recommend. Best way is to ask directly so the info is from the source.

Relax about the schools thing. From all the reading and sharing on here, the schools there only really take off in February. If you get there in Jan, you have time. Aus schools are used to immigrants and great at helping the kids where/if they need it. I would recommend you first find somewhere to stay, then look at the schools close by - seeing for yourself is better, I think. But would definitely move this lower down the list of stuff to panic over. It will all work out in the end! Even if he only starts in March, it'll be ok! They will help him!

Whew $100k!!! I think you would be fine on this but it also depends on the lifestyle you are used to. If it helps I think average salary is about $40-60k so in comparison 100k is like a double salary for other folk ;)

Good luck with everything! Most of all... deep breaths! ;)

Forgot to add: would the Job offer translate into a employer sponsored visa, as that is faster.

You will also need to look up how to get his skills recognised by the appropriate authority, and do the IELTS english tests - both of you need to do that.

Think the PCs and xrays should wait till you have a case officer - you will need to submit your EOI (expression of interest) before that.

Im not a doctor (am an OT), and not working in QLD health, but I did investigate jobs there. They are very supportive for career development and will provide the supervision needed quite readily.

AHPRA is as annoying as HPCSA (prepare yourself) but at least they are more organised.

I cant answer many of your other questions, but I wish you all the best in the whirlwind to come!

Oh, and congrats on the job!!

• Like 1

Chances are that you may get subsidized accommodation through Queensland health while he does his registrar rotation. You really need to ask if they are bringing you out on a 457 (which is commonly the case for medical people) or want to go an ENS or Skilled Independent visa.

Just ask the questions and they will give you a bit more idea.

WOW !! I can say NOTHING regarding jobs, especially medical, but to get a job in Bundaberg of all places ... and with the salary, job offer, the location, you sure have hit the gold pot at the bottom of the rainbow, the dream of all dreams. Everything will be perfect, you just relax, enjoy and be abundantly grateful for all the favor that has been showered upon your heads !!

Edited by Alida
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone. MrandMrsK, we are waiting for AHPRA according to Qld health. ....I pray they are better than the HPCSA. My email to Qld Health has gone unanswered regarding visas etc but hopefully wecwill get a response soon.

Alida we are really grateful and excited, especially for the kids. It sounds like you know Bundaberg?

• Like 1

Queensland Health have their own migration agent, so I suspect that someone will be in touch with you, just try and relax a little, things will be going at a furious pace soon enough. In any event,thy will have to let you arrange medicals etc, documentation, before any kind of visa application can be submitted...........but first they will have to nominate you for the position.

It will all become clearer in time. :)

Hi and congratz

My wife and i came over 2 and a bit years ago on a 457, not medical but i understand the process, so if you want to have a chat on Skype send me a mail on the forums, happy to chat through any questions you might have

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. MrandMrsK, we are waiting for AHPRA according to Qld health. ....I pray they are better than the HPCSA. My email to Qld Health has gone unanswered regarding visas etc but hopefully wecwill get a response soon.

Alida we are really grateful and excited, especially for the kids. It sounds like you know Bundaberg?

Hi Milo,

My brother lives in Bargara, 15 kms from Bundaberg. I would LOVE to live in Bundaberg. Never been there, but what I've heard and seen and browsed, I really would love to live there. But it might be we'll land up in Adelaide instead...

We actually have our hearts set on living in Bargara! School looks lovely too. But we'll have to see....

Do you have to write IELTS if you went to English high school and or varsity.?

• 2 months later...

Hello

I thought to make contact, since we have relocated to Bundaberg in 2004. Please search for me on facebook and we can make contact then. My facebook name is Herna Scott Conradie.

Hope to get in touch with you soon.

Kind regards

Herna

$100K per annum is good money for most folk. If you earn over 150K you will live very well indeed. 200K...well just say its comfortable.