BHP iron ore job losses

aquagirl

Yip,

this has been on the cards for some time. The ore price will drop going forward and Aus high labour costs will bite them in the proverbial.

500 jobs gone in this sector from one company in the last month. They will not pay off 3,000 workers in one hit but I've seen this before and know how these guys operate, it will be 500 a month for the next few months. Add to this Rio and FMG and it will be some big numbers

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/companies/mining-giant-bhp-billiton-sacks-500-iron-ore-workers-company-slashes-costs-amid-falling-metal-price/story-fnkjk9ku-1226965297623

THE world’s largest miner, BHP Billiton, has cut 500 Australian jobs out of its iron ore business.

The jobs have gone in the last month, many more are expected and are linked to an ongoing review of the business by management consultants McKinsey & Company.

"Premier Colin Barnett also played down concerns of mass layoffs at BHP, saying he believed looming job" losses would be "in the hundreds, not the thousands".

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/wa/a/24313839/kambalda-mine-hit-by-gold-fields-cuts/

Don't beieve much Mr Barnett says these days!!!

500 jobs gone in this sector from one company in the last month. They will not pay off 3,000 workers in one hit but I've seen this before and know how these guys operate, it will be 500 a month for the next few months. Add to this Rio and FMG and it will be some big numbers

• Like 1

these big announcements always start with a few well placed rumours. I believe it's leaked to the media to soften the shock come the time the announcement is made. It's just the way the big corporates roll around here. The rumours of the car industry shutting down was denied by industry and government leaders right up until the day the announcement was made. In fcat Aussies have become almost accustomed to the news as companies make these announcements almost daily, here's another from today's press:

Freight rail operator cuts 103 more jobs

A weakening mining sector has led rail operator Aurizon to cut another 100 jobs and take tens of millions of dollars off the value of its assets and coal terminal projects.

The company formerly known as QR National has made 103 redundancies, mainly from its head office, less than two months after announcing plans to cut 480 staff from its Queensland maintenance operations.

Aurizon also said the Dudgeon Point coal terminal and phase two of the Wiggins Island coal terminal, both in Queensland, were not expected to progress in the foreseeable future.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/24316909/freight-rail-operator-cuts-103-more-jobs/

The likes of China don't need as much iron etc at the moment. There slowdown going to have an impact and as a result mines will scale back, consolidate and look to introduce efficiency items. In the last decade to much stuff was made and there warehouses all around the world full of goods that there is no demand for.

Checkout this link on cars alone.

http://boredombash.com/unsold-cars-go-to-die/

I don't think anyone in WA is surprised by this at all. As much as it's a wonderful place to live with a great lifestyle (and I really miss it), it is a one industry town and it's subject to booms and busts. It's time for the bust now.

I noticed the change in the apartment block that I lived in there. When I signed up to rent my apartment, a tiny little shoebox in the city, I had to compete and offer slightly more than other potential tenants to get it. Now, the owner is unable to find a tenant without substantially lowering the rent. I had some friends in the block, they moved out (to go live in the burbs or to move elsewhere) a few months before me and those apartments are mostly standing vacant. Scary stuff.

But I do get a bit lekker knowing that all those greedy pig investors that bought up apartments as investment properties in the CBD and priced me out of the market are about to get their just desserts. At one stage the price of a one bedroom 52 square meter place was almost $520k. I remember going to one home open and one of these investors was buying his third one bedder and he told me that I'd "better get in quick" because "the demand and prices can only go up". Yeahhhhh. Kry vir jou.

• Like 2

Yip,

This is classic tactics, to gauge the market before bulleting the blokes anyways. I been on both sides of the gun more times than I care to remember and even at the WA utility there are major headcount cuts. It is amazing to see what an impact it has on morale.

Most of the operations are mechanising and also most of the projects are switching to Operations Mode so dont need a lot of people. ROC's (Remote Operations Centres) are the latest trend and are now fully viable due to infrastructure upgrades and new technologies. Perth will begin a slow and steady decline now back to almost pre-boom status.

It is one of the reasons I am seriously contemplating moving over east.

The rumour mill is also active over here in the East, I reckon that there will be more cuts this side in around September, but mostly middle management...........several have been called in and told that a restructuring process is in place.

I'm just happy that hubby's company is about to sign the EA that they and the unions have hammered out, it is pretty good in the current climate and is in place for the next 3 years.

I'm talking from a coal perspective. But some of the people will be absorbed into new projects.............we still have a fair few on the cards, and 52 operational coal mines in this region................Surferman, here is a little list of of current/upcoming projects expansions...............http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/assets/mines-pdf/qld-coal-development-projects-q4-2013.pdf

• Like 2

People have to remember that those employed in the resource industry make up only 2% of the workforce. That said, those in operational jobs should feel a little safer than those in middle to upper management.

One thing I've observed about Australia is that unlike in South Africa, where a person generally will have one career during their working life, Australian's are more multi-skilled, and perhaps have 5 or 6 different skills, and skills are always transferable.

If this article is anything to go by, there will be more then just a haircut http://www.businessspectator.com.au/news/2014/7/2/resources-and-energy/75000-mining-jobs-go

no need for subscription on this link

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/jobs-to-go-in-minings-new-phase/story-e6frg8zx-1226974318684

this is an interesting quote from the article...

Mr Fabo emphasised it was not clear how many of the workers losing their resource-related jobs would end up unemployed. The foreign workers component could return home, and others could be absorbed by other parts of the economy, albeit not on the above-average wages of the resources industry.

There's A LOT of Saffa's on 457 working visas in the mining industry especially in WA and Qld, I hope they did not burn their bridges back home!

Edited by Johnno

People have to remember that those employed in the resource industry make up only 2% of the workforce. That said, those in operational jobs should feel a little safer than those in middle to upper management.

One thing I've observed about Australia is that unlike in South Africa, where a person generally will have one career during their working life, Australian's are more multi-skilled, and perhaps have 5 or 6 different skills, and skills are always transferable.

I agree Andrea, people change jobs and careers here like it's nothing. The thing to consider is that many miners are hands on people, technical folks, trades people. With a manufacturing industry that's fast drying up like the car manufacturing industry which is likewise shedding thousands of jobs. One has to wonder where these people will be re-employed or retrained in what? Also the resources guys are used to earning above average wages, often they have free accommodation,how will this impact on finding new jobs and maintaining their livelihoods?

Also, I wonder how will this effect skilled visa's, especially trades, will government start clamping down on these visa categories?

Yes, lots of things to consider Johnno, but I find a different sense of perspective in many of the Australians I meet.............they are all too aware that the good times don't always last..............they're a pragmatic lot, and tend to just get on with things, using what skills they have.

Most people who come to Moranbah have some sort of 5 year plan or the like, they are able to earn 2 to 3 times what they have been earning,but most have no intention of staying here.

Here is a link to a little article on Moranbah.......http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-28/boom-bust-moranbah/5353114.....funny, but Steve, the bakery owner is also a tax consultant, so he has transferable skills too. But read it and see what you think.

I'm not very familiar with the mining industry here, really, but I wanted to mention that Australians are extremely flexible with interstate moves.

I know of so many families that move interstate 3 or 4 times during their children's schooling. They accept a job in Adelaide or Sydney like we would accept a job in Pretoria or Joburg.

A lot of my children's friends have one parent living interstate or even in Singapore, China or PNG for work. These kids just hop on a plane like it's a bus!

Geologists seek work - any work - as mining boom goes bust

http://m.watoday.com.au/business/mining-and-resources/geologists-seek-work--any-work--as-mining-boom-goes-bust-20140711-zt3rn.html

Man that took a long time to hit the press as geologists have been struggling for work for over a year now.

• 3 weeks later...

AFAIK its more of the construction side that will/is taking a knock. Now that the mines are established, the maintenance of them will take over. I am a diesel mechanic and keep an eye on what/how many jobs are on offer. There are still loads, both in Perth and on site. The cushy rosters have just about disappeared but as a tradie there is and will be work for a long time.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/national/a/24576139/mining-optimism-plummets-with-closures/

The report found a massive 93 per cent of leaders were not optimistic about their company's growth prospects for the year ahead, with just six per cent believing they will see some large-scale projects return.

"Many leaders think that the coal mines, in particular, will continue to suffer, with coal prices hitting an all-time low and with an oversupply of coal," the report said.

It found tough and volatile market conditions continued to drive the gloomy outlook of mining leaders, following a raft a job losses in recent years.

Between May 2012 and the end of June 2013, the mining sector shed 26,000 jobs.

"It is likely to lose more in the coming year," the report said.

Job losses and shrinking investment were also likely to place enormous economic stress on the regional towns where mines close.

The coal bit is interesting as my employer is about to emabark on a haulage contract in Indonesia for coal.