Any recommendations for good dentist, gp, gynae in Sydney?

TeamRF

Hey guys

My husband and I have both Medicare and Private Medical Aid and we want to start building a medical network for ourselves.

Ideally on the North shore and we are happy to drive so any good dentist recommendations...? And GP of course...

For gynae, we are wanting to start having a family in the next year or so, so has anybody had their kids here with a good recommendation...(and ideally someone who will do C-sections would be awesome)...

Thanks

TeamRF

Ummm..don't know Sydney but just a heads-up on the gynae thing. Women here use GP's as a rule. You only get a referral to a gynae if you are having bigger problems than a normal doctor can sort out. I was basically accused of being a time-waster for booking a gynae appointment and told next time I will have to see my GP for routine stuff ? I was annoyed, but then just found a nice GP and have been going to her ever since. Things just seem to work a bit differently re. them.

Actually it's the same with pediatricians.

Maybe others can confirm my experience.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

.(and ideally someone who will do C-sections would be awesome)...

It is not common to "request" a C-section and they are usually only performed for medical reasons. After living in two different states and having my two kids here with a private Obstetrician (I had complicated pregnancies), I don't know anybody in person or on the baby forums I used to visit who have had an elective c-section.

In fact true blue Aussie women pride themselves on having their babies the way nature intended and with NO PAIN RELIEF! The pain relief part is optional so you can choose what methods you want for that, but not whether to have a c-section or not.

• Like 1

It is not common to "request" a C-section and they are usually only performed for medical reasons. After living in two different states and having my two kids here with a private Obstetrician (I had complicated pregnancies), I don't know anybody in person or on the baby forums I used to visit who have had an elective c-section.

In fact true blue Aussie women pride themselves on having their babies the way nature intended and with NO PAIN RELIEF! The pain relief part is optional so you can choose what methods you want for that, but not whether to have a c-section or not.

See I really object to other people telling me what I can and cannot do with my body. The medical expertise is there. If you want it and can afford it, it should be up to you to have a C-section. Childbirth is personal and nobody else's business.

It is this kind of thing that I really cannot reconcile with living here (England and the NHS are the same). I know some people think I say too much, or am negative, or maybe mix with strange people (haha).... but don't get me started on abortion and same-sex marriage, or IVF and adoption restrictions on gay couples or single people in Australia, because then we'll take this thread WAY off track.

One has to fit in with the culture you join, be it a work culture or a country's culture. What about if the cultural beliefs (eg no elective C-sections and draconian, religious zealot-type rules about other issues) are deemed unacceptable to your own personal views?

Hmmmmm. I guess it's a case of 'fit in or f. off ?

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

Hi guys

Thanks for the input. I should have been more clear in my post, I medically have to have a C section due to previous surgery so for me even if I wanted to go natural I would have issues.

I am also hearing that a lot from work colleagues regarding going natural etc. When I mention C section, I get very surprised looks.

So, I guess I am looking for a gynae that actually does do them and deals with fertility as well?

@Crisplet, you mentioned a private Obs, was he/she in Sydney?

@Bronwyn&Co, I totally agree with you having the choice. Especially if I am paying for private medical aid and the only time I am going to hospital is for childbirth, I would like to have 100% choice ideally on what procedure I go through.

I was wondering about any South African Obs that have emigrated over, am sure they would be more prone to C section, based on that most private medical aiders in RSA side go with Csection first choice?

Thanks again for the advice guys :)

• Like 1

TeamRF I wasn't in Sydney so can't help there. I found my obstetrician through a fertility clinic so that would be a starting point.

I totally agree about being able to choose what happens to your own body and also wanted elective Caesar only to hear that it wasn't possible. Fortunately I could choose maximum pain relief and made my choice there.

I know of a few people who've had an elective C with their first babies. If you go private you shouldn't have an issue.

Also if you go private your experience will be very similar to having a baby in RSA. Appointment with Gynae every 4 weeks, then every 2 weeks, then at the end weekly.

• 2 weeks later...

Try Dr Keogh or Dr Booker at the SAN ( Sydney adventist Hospital) DR Keogh has a wonderful, kind bedside manner and he is a good listener. I have heard good things about Dr Booker as well.

If you want a ceasarian and are willing to pay for it, you will find a gyni willing to do it for you! dont believe all sorts of nonsense, its when your birth is through the state system that they try and convince you to go natural because its cheaper!

Try the 2 above, I am with Dr Keogh and can highly recommend him.

If you want a ceasarian and are willing to pay for it, you will find a gyni willing to do it for you! dont believe all sorts of nonsense, its when your birth is through the state system that they try and convince you to go natural because its cheaper!

Every state is different - I can't state this enough because it covers everything.

Queensland does not favour or encourage elective caesarians. I was a private patient in a private hospital and could not find any doctor willing to do it. If you can find a doctor in Sydney who is willing then well and good but you have to know that it is not the norm, and is frowned upon by the general population who pride themselves on natural, drug free birth. Rightly or wrongly this is how it's done here. You'll see when others trot out their birthing stories at mothers group.

Just another of the many situations were we are not right and Aussies are wrong. Culturally here being tough is a prized trait.

In Sydney, on the state system, they asked me how I would like to birth. Dont listen to the fear mongering. In almost 6 years in Aus, plus having two kids here, I dont think I have ever seen a gynea. Then again, I am not too precious about people and titles. After my first baby was born, the doc in the brilliant RPA hospital in Sydney (that cost us zero money), a woman turned up and said "Hi, I am Amy, the baby doctor." And gave my son the once over. I figured out later that she must have been the paediatrician. Prepare yourself for being SO far removed for the "Mev Dokter" society, its not funny.