2 weeks in and...

Bams

Wow Bams, you have accomplished much in a short period of time. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new home.

Just wait it gets better. Receiving cards in the post is not the best, try ordering stuff (anything) from Aussie suppliers online. It's awesome and the stuff actually arrives.

If I may ask why do you have an appointment with VIC Roads? Can't you Just go in and convwrt you license?

Hi HEOJJ

Only made an appointment as they are very busy and didn't feel like sitting and waiting, although the walk in people were all helped very quickly.

The efficiency of things are really amazing. No long queues, no waiting, no hazzles and many things could be done online...

Yup the efficiency is awesome. Juat collected photos for my wife from K-Mart for my wife that were ordered online 10 days ago. Got email to confirm they can be collected, walked in gave surname and collected the photos all in under 5 mins.

There was a newspaper article in the local rag this morning taking about QLD introduction an online drivers license renewal system. You can already renew the car license online, will be awesome if we can do it will DL's as well.

Yup the efficiency is awesome. Juat collected photos for my wife from K-Mart for my wife that were ordered online 10 days ago. Got email to confirm they can be collected, walked in gave surname and collected the photos all in under 5 mins.

There was a newspaper article in the local rag this morning taking about QLD introduction an online drivers license renewal system. You can already renew the car license online, will be awesome if we can do it will DL's as well.

Another thing I love, if you can't do it obline, there's an android or iphone app and failing all that you can call a 1300 number and get it done that way.

Another thing I love, if you can't do it obline, there's an android or iphone app and failing all that you can call a 1300 number and get it done that way.

• Like 2

Oops, another one for the list, hubby stopped smoking 4 days after landing...

• Like 8

Wow, you guys have accomplished so much, well done :)

• Like 1

well done and welcome to ozzie! I didnt realise that you guys were here alreayd. All the best, I hope you settle in really fast and that everything will fall into place :) one thing at a time

• Like 1

I just had to giggle when I read how much you've accomplished in only 2 weeks! There's nothing left for you to do this year, but celebrate Christmas!

Efficiency here is just amazing. In our little town, the ladies from the post office started bringing hubby's and my parcels to my work place ( I work right next to the post office), out of their own and greet me by first name when they see me. It made me feel so welcome and part of the community when they started doing that!

You'll enjoy receiving your container and unpacking those familiar goodies!

• Like 1

Congrats Bams! I hope to accomplish HALF of what you have in that time come November, Ha Ha! Enjoy soaking up your new home.

• Like 1

Wow Bams, I am so thrilled to hear that you are loving it, I have no doubt there will be "why did we do this days", but people are doing a good job of scaring me into how hard it all is, that a post like this gives me hope. Good luck and I hope you settle happily and quickly.

• Like 2

Wow that is one checklist, sorted out! Well done :)

Crossingover you don't have to worry about those things, it's all do-able (just depends how fast you want to do it). Because it's all new & exciting it doesn't seem like work.

We just kept a file with all our important docs with us so everything is handy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get some kind of email to say that your TRN is in progress? I applied online, but didn't get any sort of notification that the application has been submitted.

Go Bams, you're kicking ass out there. Please tell hubby I say well done for quitting a terrible habit. I'm so glad you guys are loving Ozz, it's a an awesome place.

• Like 1

Okay a quick update.

Tomorrow we will be here for one full month and looking back it feels like a century ago....

We received our container and is fully packed out and settled into our new home, really love having all my own stuff around me again. My daughter thinks it is Christmas as she is still discovering some of her old toys every day...

Hubby went for an interview last week and got THE call yesterday, he starts work on Monday. So we had to go an purchase another car today (no public transport yet to where he works and I need mine to get my daughter to school and back) This time put a small deposit down and applied for finance. Literally an hour after submitting all his documents they called to say finance is approved and that we can pick up the car on Friday. AWESOME!!!! :ilikeit:

I went for an interview last week to and they guy didn't say that I am over qualifies (like we are told in SA) but that he feels he would be doing me an injustice to appoint me as he believes I am worth more than what he can offer. Perhaps saying the same thing just in different words, but it still made me feel good. Just there and then the guy picks up the phone and call two of his friends which he believed I will be perfect for. Almost fell of my chair.

I have applied for some other prospects so will wait and see. I know God has the perfect job for me, He is just preparing the employer...

Thanks for all the well wishes, and to anyone still thinking if it is worth it, stop thinking!!! There is no comparison, just get here and the rest will take care of it self. ;)

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Just arrived in Aus and went to Centrelink. They said we can not register with them except if we actually want to claim something??? And also that we need to be working for at least 10 months before we can really start featuring on the system.

This is not what I understood from.the forum. Any advice here?

Mmm, I would suggest you go again and speak to someone else. If you're not working you should be able to claim some sort of family tax benefit, although there have been changes..............some payments are also asset related, I had to provide my bank statement to show what savings I had and list assets.

They seem to be clamping down a lot, but true, there is no point registering unless you wish to claim something and are eligible, so get hold of the booklet that lists all the things you can claim and see if anything fits.

Do you have kids?

I'm still not on Centrelink after 4 years, will only register when I have PR. Cant claim anyways so no point.

Well, we've been here 9 years in December, got p.r. in 2010 and citizenship in 2014 and this year was the first year (due to circumstances) that I was eligible to claim anything.............and although not a lot, it really helped............but the amount of paperwork I had to supply was phenomenal....they wanted to know if we were citizens, despite p.r.'s being able to claim (I wonder if they are going to tighten up further) and I even had to photocopy the kids passports to prove they hadn't been out of the country for a period of time.

I don't think those Centrelink people all know what's going on. They try to force people to get all the info on their website. They literally wouldn't let us in the door (dragon lady barring the way). Turned out our visa type was not accessible on the website and we had to go in. Wasted months messing around with clueless staff (doesn't help when they refuse to tell parents anything).

Anyhoo we were trying to find out if our (then) 19 year old could get student assistance with PR, but due to Business Visa, he can't until age 22.

I say check out the website, get your ducks in a row and go back with your armour on and a few hours to kill.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Ok, so went to a different Centrelink today, as it also had Medicare in the same building. Registered for medicare, but once again said there is no need to register for Centrelink if you are not about to claim something.

Can not claim due to the fact that we do not have work yet. You have to have been in the country and looking for work and not have any for 10 out of 12 months or work for 10/12...cant rememeber.

No kids yet, but pregnant, so she said to register three months before babies birth and could then claim some baby stuff :)

That's all I got from them, but she did say to please come back should I have any questions and they will assist me

• Like 1

I also went to centrelink, only to register so we can claim a portion of daycare for my daughter and I asked the guy if we could claim for anything else and he firmly said No.

I also went to centrelink, only to register so we can claim a portion of daycare for my daughter and I asked the guy if we could claim for anything else and he firmly said No.

Ja the Aussies don't much like people with funny accents taking their money...?

• Like 1