Finding work in Aus first before you go over

Kimayne

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone might be able to help me with some advise on my topic. So far it looks all good for hubby qualifying for a Visa 189 (think that's it)

What do we do in regards to finding him work there? I see some people have have managed to secure positions subject to visa approval. How did you go about it, did you just start applying for positions? Please help? I would like to find him work before we go over, and possibly have him go ahead of us and settle first

Kind regards,

Kimayne

• Like 2

Hi

Welcome to The forum. I think you need to be realistic , it's not easy to find a job when you are not here. Not impossible but very unlikely.

It would be like me trying to find a job in South Africa and I am in Australia what would my chances be?

The job market across the board has slowed, your chances are better to secure a position when you are here.

Good luck

• Like 1

Kimayne you have not said what your husband does for a living. If he is in a job that has a limited number of people doing it, then he may well be successful, however, if he is in a job where there would be many applicants, then I do not think it will be easy.

yep, if he has a rare and in high demand skillset you are sorted, otherwise you will need to be on the ground here

hi there

I might not be the easiest route, but you have to start somewhere. I would suggest that you start with these websites and trawl them regularly, although you will pretty soon see that most jobs are repeated over some or all of them. At least after a while you will start to get a feel for positions etc

http://au.indeed.com/
http://jobsearch.careerone.com.au/
http://www.adzuna.com.au/
www.seek.com.au/

http://www.jobs.act.gov.au/

And you can also start contacting agents, although some are not as nice as others :) and all of them are extremely busy so they will probably not respond immediately. If you can, register on their website so that they have you on file, then contact them, tell them your position and what you are looking for. They just might have something if you guys are in one of those very scarce positions. There are literally hundreds of agencies, I just listed a very few from bigger ones to smaller ones. if you search the yellow pages you will find many more

Horizon One
Hays
Hudson

Clicks IT recruitment

Chandler Macleod

People Bank
Paxus
SOS
PSA People

happy hunting!

Edited by Toitjie
  • Like 3

It is possible with a lot of perseverance and some luck. Also, being able to give them a date as to when you will be arriving helps (i.e., I've booked my ticket and arrive on this date). Worked for me :)

"I see some people have have managed to secure positions subject to visa approval."

Finding a job subject to visa approval is usually for a 457 visa which is the temporary work visa. An Australian company would have advertised (possibly overseas too) for a position that was subject to visa. So perhaps you are confusing the various visa situations?

Edited by Crisplet

Thanks everyone for the advise. I guess I will apply for positions closer to us leaving then, if I do otherwise I will update with progress so that everyone can know. My husband is an Electrical Engineer so I doubt that he will struggle too much. Good luck with everybody else's applications.

Chat soon

Thanks everyone for the advise. I guess I will apply for positions closer to us leaving then, if I do otherwise I will update with progress so that everyone can know. My husband is an Electrical Engineer so I doubt that he will struggle too much. Good luck with everybody else's applications.

Chat soon

Hi there

We've had a bit of an employment slowdown in Australia and there aren't nearly as many jobs as there were a few years ago.

I think that you need to get the visa under your belt first,given that every case is unique, it can take some time for a visa to be granted, and as you are aware, one has to wait for an invitation to apply once you have submitted your EOI.

Two things to be aware of, many other engineering type positions are on the flagged list......this means that they may be removed from the SOL in the coming year, mechanical engineers are among them.

Also, occupation ceilings are now in place, meaning that once the ceiling has been reached, no more invitations are issued that year, for electrical engineers the ceiling is 1500 for the current year, with 257 invitations to date.

I also note that there are 1000 places for mining engineers, my BIL is a mining engineer and recently spent almost 3 months without work.............so the SOL doesn't always accurately illustrate what is happening on the ground.

Has your husband completed his skills assessment with Engineers Australia? I'd get that started as it can take a few months, and then once you have lodged your visa and have a good idea of when it may be granted,start applying for jobs, although the truth is that employers will look more closely at people already in Australia.

Also, what field, construction, mining etc, then we might be able to give more targeted advice re job searches, as many companies recruit via their own websites.

Good luck with the process and just shout out if you have any questions.

I work for a large Engineering company, and even the Engineers are being retrenched at the moment....its a tough market out there

Oh crap! That's not good about mech engineers - Andrea, do you know what "the coming year" could mean, and what would you tell a person who is about to apply about how soon they should get their application in?

(That's if you know of course)

Oh crap! That's not good about mech engineers - Andrea, do you know what "the coming year" could mean, and what would you tell a person who is about to apply about how soon they should get their application in?

They are on the flagged list so will likely stay there until July 1st, so if he gets it in before then, it should be OK. It is probable that the occupation will be removed, but it may stay, who knows?

http://www.awpa.gov.au/our-work/labour-market-information/skilled-occupation-list/Pages/default.aspx

I can't find the exact link I had yesterday, but I also looked up occupation ceilings, but these only apply to 189 visa's, the occupation may still remain on the CSOL which will cover, employer sponsored type visa's or state and territory nominated.............but try and urge him to get going pronto.

Got it, thanks!

• Like 1

We are flying out next Wednesday and this post is scaring me... Oh crap!

We are flying out next Wednesday and this post is scaring me... Oh crap!

No point getting scared! Remember we usually only regret the things we didn't do, in life. It will be a great experience :)

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Completely off topic but I love your disclaimer. Have you got the copyright :)

• Like 1

I work for a large Engineering company, and even the Engineers are being retrenched at the moment....its a tough market out there

A bit concerning as my eldest is doing his 2nd year Mech Eng. degree right now in Aus.

Certainly engineering would soften, the big construction projects in the mines are now basically completed. So Australia demand for engineers is drawing down, also keep in mind the manufacturing is closing up shop in Australia as well.

There will be a bit of a bounce back, but that will depend on this evening budget and the infrastructure spending plan.

To be honest, there going to be quite a lot of engineering work in Africa going forward, I see the Chinese are going to build the first new railway line in East Africa, In South Africa they supposedly going to build that mega city in Mooderfontein and there is quite a bit of activity going on with gas exploration in various countries in Southern Africa. Also the 2nd deep water port in Durban needs to be built http://mg.co.za/article/2013-07-05-00-pressure-on-to-build-new-durban-port

I'm also certain some of the car manufactures will shift their production onto the South African operations.

Certainly engineering would soften, the big construction projects in the mines are now basically completed. So Australia demand for engineers is drawing down, also keep in mind the manufacturing is closing up shop in Australia as well.

There will be a bit of a bounce back, but that will depend on this evening budget and the infrastructure spending plan.

To be honest, there going to be quite a lot of engineering work in Africa going forward, I see the Chinese are going to build the first new railway line in East Africa, In South Africa they supposedly going to build that mega city in Mooderfontein and there is quite a bit of activity going on with gas exploration in various countries in Southern Africa. Also the 2nd deep water port in Durban needs to be built http://mg.co.za/article/2013-07-05-00-pressure-on-to-build-new-durban-port

I'm also certain some of the car manufactures will shift their production onto the South African operations.

Although I have noticed jobs in some areas getting tighter, it is simply not true that construction projects in the mining industry are completed, they are ongoing.

Just look at this link, and there are some 140 plus mining projects dated from 2014 onwards, http://www.miningoilgasjobs.com.au/construction/all-you-need-to-know/major-mining-construction-projects.aspxI bet there is no where near that in RSA. I know some have been put on hold, but are more likely to go ahead now if the mining and carbon tax are repealed and given that the current government seems to be rushing through approvals.

Just close to me the biggest coal mine in Australia has just been approved

Australia's biggest coalmine project has been given the green light despite serious environmental concerns raised by experts appointed by the Commonwealth.

The Queensland Government last week approved Indian company Adani's plan for a giant mine in the Galilee Basin west of Rockhampton.

The $16.5 billion Carmichael project would be the largest coal mine in the nation and one of the biggest in the world, covering 200 square kilometres and producing about 60 million tonnes of coal a year.

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman said the following, " Mr Newman has signed a 30-year "partnership agreement" with the mining industry, saying: "I have said famously or infamously that we are in the coal business - I again reiterate that today".

This particular mine has a life span of 90 years and ................."the Carmichael Coal Mine and Rail project had the potential to create up to 2,500 construction and 3,900 operational jobs, providing a major boost to the local and state economy. “It is expected to generate over $500 million annually in direct and indirect benefits to Queensland’s economy during construction and $3 billion at full export capacity,”

Business in Australia operates in a very different manner to RSA, but my feeling is that many mines are focusing on production at the moment because the coal price is low, so they need to produce more at cheaper cost, but projects still are going to go ahead, much of the delays are political in nature, with mining companies wanting government to commit to fuel subsidies................and it is also EBA time, so many mines plead poverty to try and get unions to accept lesser conditions/increases.

Although coal is at a 6 year low, profit is still being made, "Coking coal, mainly from Queensland, is the nation’s second-highest export earner after iron ore and brought in $22.4 billion of export revenue last financial year. Thermal coal, used primarily in power stations and mainly from NSW, raised $16.1bn."

Hockey moves to assure miners over diesel fuel rebate http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-05/budget-joe-hockey-moves-to-assure-miners-over-fuel-rebate/5429482

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Thanks Andrea

Yes we have set his skills assessment off at the beginning on July 2014, no news yet. Felling lekker disheartened. I just wish things would go quicker and that we could no already, but I guess all good things come to those who wait. He has been in Automation for 13 years now but he is looking for a change in the field so all I can do is keep praying. Thanks anyway - everyone for their feedback.

Hi Kimanye,

Is he is process automation as in PLC/SCADA? If so, I can put him in touch with some field experts in Perth. If he is in IT then ACS will take 12 weeks or more, so you should get the results soon. Happy to help where I can.

Here is a list of Dep Mining Petroleum Lead Agency Project Proposals in WA

http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/9588.aspx

This provides a good overview of new resources projects still to come.

The website shows which projects are in progress, commenced operations and which ones are about to start.

There is a magazine called Prospect which provides a good overview of WA mining activities and can be downloaded from the Publications tab.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Heya,

Sorry I had logged in on my Facebook account when starting this post. Hubby is in automation/project management. I've done some research and have come to the conclusion that it would be better for him to search once in Aus. However, I have hope and faith and will still try for a couple of positions before we go. At this stage we still waiting for a case officer, visa app lodged 12 Nov 2014....

Ah Suferman as far as I know its PLC thanks

Kimmykins send me a Pm and I will get his Cv in front of Aus biggest PLC company. I know some senior guys there.

• Like 2