And so it begins....needing reassurance!

HFamily

SO, my husband has received his final letter of appointment to start work in Perth on the 1st July :( (all subject to the approval of the 457 visa, of course). It is all very exciting, and we are very blessed that he has been given this opportunity. We are now starting to feel very apprehensive, as he will be going on his own for 6 months, and my son and I will only join him there in Dec/Jan. It has suddenly dawned on me how much there is to do, and I will have to do most of it on my own....eeek!!!! Needless to say, I have already had a few sleepless nights.... :yawn:

We have just started fixing our house up to get it ready to sell. Hopefully this will pay off with helping us get a quick sale. Had to do some major negotiating with my hubby to get him to part with the cash though! The mind absolutely boggles when I think of everything that has to be done in the next 8 months before we leave :cry: .

My hubby has recently been having a panic attack about the move and if we are doing the right thing. He worries constantly about the money - is the salary enough, cost of living, housing, schooling - you name it, he stresses! It definitely is the fear of the unknown with him - he likes to have everything mapped out and in order, so this is a really big step for him. I can honestly say that if he hadn't received this job offer, I don't think we would have considered emigrating. Although we have travelled to other countries and around South Africa quite extensively, we have never lived in another city besides Durban (both born and bred). We have always had our family around us, and been very happy. But...every day, we see how things here are deteriorating, and we know we are making the right decision. Although we have made a conscious decision to try not to run South Africa down, as it is a place we love, and for all it's faults and despite (or in spite) of the crime, we have had a very happy life here. we also cannot ignore what is happening around us every day!

So, we will push on and get through the rest of the year. I am so grateful that this forum exists and for all the information available - so good to know we are not alone in how we are feeling. :ilikeit:

• Like 2

Hi

It is normal to feel that way.

In our experience, when you are able to walk around outside at 10pm without looking over your shoulder, it makes all the other worries worthwhile.

That said, I know the stress about money and the unknown can become quite taxing on your happiness and health.

Good luck and if you ever need a ear to listen, the forum and its member's will always be here. :hug:

• Like 1

The 457 visa is a temporary visa, so if I was you guys I would look at it as a 4 years period that you will be moving to Australia and then be returning after that.

Then if everything comes right, and you get sponsorship to a PR then you can consider yourselves settled in Australia.

I would not be to quick to dispose of assets in South Africa.

Chzaau as usual states things in the worst possible way.

It's true - it is a temporary visa, BUT ....

Oh, yes, welcome - I came here on a 457 - and luckily I was met by positive people.

There are ways to get rthe 457 traded in for other (PR) visas. I won't really go into details, because the I did my "conversion" many years ago and things won't be the same .....

Hang on until the rest of the people get to talk - AndreaL for instance is a multiple 457 person.

DON'T PANIC

• Like 5

Hi Chzaau - I think if we had to look at it in that way, there is no way my husband would even consider doing this. It has to be all or nothing! I couldn't imagine going through this a 2nd time to come back.

Thanks OubaasDik, we have been assured that his employer will help us get PR after 4 years, and I believe that it might be possible after 2 years (???).

Do you have it in writing in a contract that he will assist you in 4 years or is it just by word of mouth

Yes, we have it in writing! if you knew my husband, you would know that he wouldn't take such a big step if he didn't have it in black and white!

Maximom it must be a bit of an extra stress coming over at different times, but it sounds like you will both be busy, and that makes time fly.

As for the packing up and selling etc, it's not too bad. It can be quite liberating. You will just make a list & do it all nice & early, easy peasy! The only little niggles are things like shutting down your phone contracts & selling cars (when you still need a phone & car!) but it's ok, it can be done.

You'll probably have to put on a brave face when your husband is freaking out, & vice-versa.

Just make sure you can sign stuff while he is out of the country or courier paperwork back & forth when you sell the house. It will be fine. Don't panic, there's plenty of time to do everything.

• Like 1

You are extremely fortunate to have employment before hand.

We have the 189 Visa, but no employment and now that our house is sold, we have serious trouble / inner conflict about going without employment.

May I ask: in what line of work is your husband? We really LOVE Perth and we seriously want to settle there. BUT work in IT there is less than Sydney and Melbourne. We won't be able to afford 3 - 6 months without an income.

Consider yourselves lucky.

Good luck.

I believe your door just opened!!

Bronwyn,thanks for the advice. I have so many lists going at the moment. Just trying to work through them as best we can at the moment.

Kanniewagnie, we know we are very fortunate to be going across to a job. I think those of you who have gone across without work, are very brave. Sadly, neither my hubby or I would be able to cope in that situation, so we do count our lucky stars every day. He is in food production. Over here, he is with one of the corporate co's, with all the red tape that goes with it, and when we go across he'll be hands on with the production and management, which is what he loves. I really hope you are able to find something soon.

• Like 1

Yes, it is daunting (even if you have a job!). I'm going over on my own to start work on the 19th of May and I'm also in panic mode. Leaving my 5 year old daughter behind for 6 - 10 weeks is just killing me inside. We're also stressed about hubby's chances of finding employment quickly. We're not impulsive people in general and always plan everything to the tee, so this is definitely a huge leap of faith for us.

Good luck and all the best with this exciting, but daunting, journey!

• Like 1

You are extremely fortunate to have employment before hand.

That's the strength of the 457 - on the other hand, until the employer comes through with the PR or you somehow wangle a PR visa, you have a different stress. But then nobody said it was stress-free. I did the 457 route, myself.

We have the 189 Visa, but no employment and now that our house is sold, we have serious trouble / inner conflict about going without employment.

Really not the time to start getting cold feet (after the house), but I understand where you are coming from.

May I ask: in what line of work is your husband? We really LOVE Perth and we seriously want to settle there. BUT work in IT there is less than Sydney and Melbourne. We won't be able to afford 3 - 6 months without an income.

Consider yourselves lucky.

Good luck.

I believe your door just opened!!

All the best to all.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It's all starting to happen... My husband left for Perth yesterday :(and will start work tomorrow - no rest for the wicked!!! Once he stepped on the plane last night, the enormity of what we are doing suddenly hit both of us. For him, it was that he was flying off and leaving his family for 4 months before we join him, and for doing something that is so totally out of his comfort zone. He said that he almost did an about turn and flew back to Durban once he landed in Joburg! For me, it was the realisation that we were now living on opposite sides of the world, and not only would we miss him, but I was now on my own to finish up this whole process by myself. I am really hoping that the next 4 months go quickly! :ilikeit:

• Like 3