Fly fishing gear

Tazzn

Has anyone brought in fly fishing gear with them to Aus? My OH would not dream of going anywhere without his fishing gear but we wondering if there is anything to look out for when bringing it in. I am specifically concerned about the fly tying material alot of which are feathers, buck and rabbit tail.

Taking over your fishing tackle shouldn't be problem if properly cleaned.

I was informed, by the shipping agent, that the feathers and tails might cause some problems. The advice was to rather replace those once in Australia.

I left my flies behind, but otherwise did not have a problem. Make sure your kit is clean and accessible for inspection. When flying to New Zealand from Oz they inspected the net and we're happy it was clean.

Not sure you will get your fly tying material in. May need to replace it with local stuff.

Best of luck.

Just make sure that you clean the equipment really well and that there is no sand or other biological material anywhere.

Another suggestion would be to remove all the fishing line and leave that behind. It's relatively cheap to replace here compared to the rods and other gear. You can't guarantee that the line is 100% clean and it would be a shame to have equipment confiscated because of the line being suspect.

Hubby may have to leave any lures that have feathers (synthetic or not) or any other natural materials in them behind, they won't make it through customs.

As for the rest of the tackle just make sure it's really clean and well marked and at the front of the container, easily accessible for inspection.

Thanks everyone

Guess his mates will be inheriting lots of flies and tying material!