School zone question - MELBOURNE

Mel-B

Good day

I am wondering: let's say you picked an amazing public school that is zoned. Could one rent in the zone, enroll your child and then a year or 2 later move to another zone but keep the child enrolled to finish school there? Are there yearly checks to check your zone or is it just to enter that it is checked. I am just wondering if you are to be tied to a school for life! Don't want to move my kids around mercilessly either.

Once you are in you are in. We were told by the principal of the school we sent Jessie to that may parents find rentals in the catchment areas, stay there for six months and then move just to get their kids into the "right" school. It drives the principals of the schools nuts because it puts them in the situation of having too many children in a school designed to serve the catchment area. Once you have a rental agreement you can enroll your child in the school and once you have one child in then the rest of your children can go to the same school regardless of where you live.

Not sure if I like this but that's the way it works.

• Like 1

Yes agreed. I won't do it on purpose. Just concerned because I feel immense pressure to pick the "right" area. I get semi crazy when it comes to worrying about my little ones... it is good to know that I won't create extra stress on my young kids by having to move them around endlessly should my husband change his mind about something. This moving countries thing is creating endless worries for me! Still excited though. Just feeling overwhelmed.

Thanks for the feedback :)

• Like 1

Mel-B, you may well find that you have to move them anyway... the traffic in Melbourne is such, that if you move and live four or five suburbs away, that you could have a 45 min trip one way to fetch and carry them in peak traffic. Lo and behold if you move to the other side of the city, then you will have no choice but to move them.

Yes Mara you are correct of course. Will just hope for the best then, and hopefully my daughter will adapt quickly. She is only 6 now and very sensitive. I hope to settle her quickly and keep her settled!