UNISA curriculum/course outline for ICAA skills assessment

Theodore

Hi,

I wrote my CTA (UNISA Bcompt Hons) in 2010 and I'm looking for the curriculum/course outline for the ICAA skills assessment. I went through all the yearbooks and module archives on UNISA's website, but NONE of them contain what I need. I tried phoning UNISA a couple of times but eventually gave up (no answer/transferred/"please hold"/"eehh"/statement of symbols)...

Does anyone perhaps have, or know how to get this info?

I saw in another post someone used mie.co.za, but is this really necessary? It's just a description of the four subjects we had... :angry2:

Any help will be appreciated!

Hi

You need to get this information from the UNISA archives. You can contact Alicia Peter her email address is peterna@unisa.ac.za or you can contact Archives on 012 429 2560.

Good luck!

• Like 1

No it's not necessary to use mie but sometimes with the reputation that UNISA has for answering their phones, paying mie may just keep your blood pressure down. Thwy also tend to be a bit faster at getting you the information.

For us we didn't have a choice because they handle all of UP's archiving and reprinting of old certificates, degrees, diplomas and module detail.

Four months after my positive skills assessment from ICAA, I finally received a "syllabus" from UNISA, having been backwards and forwards, trying to explain that a list of telephone numbers for the lecturers in 1996 really wasn't what I needed.

I would suggest phoning the ICAA, explaining your problem (they must be familiar with UNISA and the syllabus issue by now) and ask if there is something else you can provide instead. It may be that they already have the syllabus for your year on file.

Failing that, take a day off and go in person to UNISA with a very big stick!

@Darbia - thanks, I'll give Alicia a try. My concern is that the yearbooks available on their website contains 3 of the 4 subjects that we had (but not FinAcc). I won't be surprised if they can only resend me what I already have...

@HahEnoughofJuju - It's starting to look like MIE might be the path of least resistance...

@cmh - Do you know if this form will actually get the course outline? The two options on the form are "Full record of studies" and "Statement of courses passed". I have my degree certificate and statement of symbols, but need descriptions of the subjects on the statement of symbols. Did you use this, got what you needed?

This is just ridiculous, doing the actual degree (passing all the exams) was easier than getting a description of the subjects!

Hi Theodore

I am not sure how efficient Alicia is as we only got her details once we had completed the process but I think its worth a try.

To get the information My husband ended up driving to UNISA in Pretoria to actually assist them with finding the relevant years calenders which show the course outline etc.On many occassions they said they did not have it but he was quite persistent and managed to get alot of them by digging in the boxes himself.

For the years they couldnt find, we just used the basic course information obtained in the Tutorial letters 101 which seems to be fine as I had no issues with the skills assessment.

I must add that getting all the information didnt come easy and took alot of persistance and two days spent at the Archive. Fortunately my husband was able to assist me but if you dont have the time or the patience maybe paying someone else to do it is a better route. :)

My husband had access to myUnisa where this is all available to you. You need your student number to enter your own "profile". There is a list of your subjects, percentage and date passed. After we printed this we got it stamped by UNISA. This was 5 years ago, I really can't remember where/who helped us. It is nightmare getting through on phones and being directed to the correct department. This could take up to 20 calls, so be very patient and eventually you will get there. Most "important" staff also only work mornings... NIGHTMARE!

OK, so after 21 phone calls and 22 emails I (only!) still need the 2010 Tutorial letter (TUT)101 for TOE407S (FinAcc)... I will continue tomorrow... Thanks for all the advice and tips!

Edited by Theodore

• 4 months later...

Theodore, I feel your pain - currently going through the very same process for the BCompt/BCompt Hons, but for 1992-1996. I was sent the year book pages for my honours subjects, but for some reason, I was sent the study guide chapter listings for my undergrad studies, and not the year book syllabus. No posted copies received yet, just scans attached to emails. I am not able to fly up to Pretoria from Cape Town during the week to get into the Archives myself, as I am self employed and it's peak season for taxes at the moment.

Fortunately my agent has just over half on file from previous applications and I am hoping that ICAA are not too pedantic about it. I am also hoping that +20 years verifiable working experience with glowing references trumps what subjects I did back in the 1990's!! Besides which, most of what I studied back then is redundant now - GAAP replaced with IFRS, tax law, commercial law etc has changed drastically. I cannot see that that it makes sense to nit pick at my subject content....

The transcript part was easy - any regional office can print it for you, so a quick 10 minute trip in and out of Unisa's Parow offices in Cape Town sorted that part out for me.

I agree with your comment though, that going through this is more trouble than the course and exams themselves!

Edited by EmNew