Visa 189

As far as I know all PR visa have a validity of 5 years. There after what happens is your ability to enter Australia on that visa is removed. You then need to have done one of two things should you decide you need to enter Australia, either take up citizenship or obtain a resident return visa for another 5 years. Once you have citizenship you no longer have to worry about a visa, you just renew your passport every 10 years.

What I mean by enter is say you leave Australia, your return is what I term enter Australia for clarity.

Edited by chzaau
  • Like 1

The 189 is like Willy Wonka's golden ticket. There are no strings attached and it comes with all the bells and whistles of citizenship except of course the citizenship part.

It's true that the visa has an expiry period which is normally 5 years before which you either need the RRV or Citizenship as mentioned already. You have to validate the visa approximately a year from the date of grant (which is determined by the date on which your pcc's or medicals were completed) and once you have validated you have until the expiry date on the visa to enter Australia and take up permanent residence.

The 189 and 190SS visas are probably the hardest to get and generally take the longest baring of course the parent visas but I would say that they are the ones to go for. The only difference between the two is the fact that the 190 comes with the condition that you have to live and work in the sponsoring state for 2 years.

Thanks Chzaau, I believe that with a 189 visa, you are almost classified as permanent and the added benefits are all there, I would say if you manage 5 years why leave then !!

Thanks Chzaau, I believe that with a 189 visa, you are almost classified as permanent and the added benefits are all there, I would say if you manage 5 years why leave then !!

With the 189 you are a permanent resident - you may enter and stay in Australia for as long as you want. The 5 years issue is related to the travel facility of the visa. If you want to travel outside Australia after the 5 years validity of the visa expires, and you have not obtained citizenship in the meantime, you will need to arrange another visa e.g. RRV) to return to Australia.

What is the difference between the 189 and 175? They sound exactly the same.

Okay, just got the answer... :whome: For the 175 you just apply, but with the 189 you must first complete a "interest-something" and then Australia will invite you to apply. The perks are exactly the same.

Edited by miran

189 is the new name for a 175. AFAIK

175 was the old number before 1 July 2012 and you could just apply while the 189 is the new number after 1 July 2012 and need to submit an Expression of Interest and wait for an invitation to apply before you can actually submit your application, other than that they are exactly the same.

:yawn:Oh boy, have I missed a lot!!!! Jip, to get back to the original question then YES, definitely apply for the 189. Hopefully your process will be much faster than our 175 application.

I am about to embark on my 189 application. just need one more reference letter from an Aussie employer, and I am able to lodge the Skills Assessment. Finally got ACS to give me the grading on my CPeP qualification, which means I only need to show 1-2 years work experience. Sweet cos some of my former Saffer employers just don't exist anymore.

This time will make sure the English and skills are done PRIOR to EOI being lodged. :whome:

I wonder what the new skills list will be for SOL? I am shooting for ICT business analyst.