Australian Permanant resident Visa

Sol1

Dear All,

I was wondering if anyone can inform me of whether I can immigrate to New Zealand with an Australian permanant resident Visa.

I have received the Australian Permanant VISA last year but have yet to immigrate to Australia as I am still in South Africa. But due to some family reasons, I would like to immigrate to New Zealand instead and was wondering if I could work and live in New zealand legally with an Australian PR visa considering I havent actually moved into that country as yet. I did activate the Visa THOUGH.

Thanks any advice will be appreciated

Thanks alot guys

I am not a lawyer (IANAL) and don't even play one on TV, so this advice is worth approximately twice what you are paying for it. :)

I was interviewed for a job in NZ a few years ago, before I became a citizen. I told the people upfront that I was not a citizen of Aus, but a permanent resident, and they had no problems, so it looks like Aus PRs can live and work in NZ.

Having said that, I can see numerous problems looming later if you aren't in Oz before the initial 5 years is up to get a Right to Return Visa, because you won't be able to get citizenship in Oz with out residing here for 4 years.

So maybe you can go to NZ and live there for a couple of years before going over to Oz and staying there for the required 4 years. Remember if you aren't in Oz when the initial 5 years is over and you don't have the RRV you can't get back in, which may make for an interesting case if you're in NZ on an Oz PR visa but can't get back to Oz.

It's worth looking at and I can't see that they'll chase you away out of hand, but .... IANAL.

Oubaas,

You make a point that I havent even considered - ie the resident return issue and oh yes, if I am not a PR of NZ as well- then I cannot legally stay in the country and they will boot me out lol.

Thanks for the advise- this is seriously something to think about.

Thanks alot

OubaasDik makes a good point... Australia has given you the visa so you can live and work in Australia. They may eventually deny you a residents return visa if you don't settle in Australia.

But, it seems you can move to NZ on an Aussie PR visa. See this link

Cheers

• Like 1

This page gives a good summary as well: http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/australiancitizensandresidents.htm

Just note if you do get NZ PR and then NZ citizenship you can then migrate to Australia to live and work but you will be given a special NZ visa in Australia that leaves you in permanent limbo as a "temporary permanent" resident with no pathway to citizenship ever (except re-applying properly from scratch again).

• Like 2

Fish,

I have friend who is married to a Kiwi. They found out that she can can become a PR in Aus but the cost is thousands. Its gone up several orders of magnitude lately.

Apparantly, the reason is the Kiwis have given citizenchip to a lot of the islanders around NZ. They are now just country hoppping and looking for the best welfare deal. So the Aussies are trying to put a stop to it.

Its sad, but thats why I say... just be cause you can get in, should you? The VISA system far from perfect, but that doesn't mean you should try to beat it. But then I am a PR... so maybe I am looking from a different angle.

• Like 1

Fish,

I have friend who is married to a Kiwi. They found out that she can can become a PR in Aus but the cost is thousands. Its gone up several orders of magnitude lately.

Apparantly, the reason is the Kiwis have given citizenchip to a lot of the islanders around NZ. They are now just country hoppping and looking for the best welfare deal. So the Aussies are trying to put a stop to it.

NZ citizens don't get welfare any more when they move to Australia using the standard 444 visa. This was changed 20 years ago. The reason given at that time was the reason you mention. Instead they are put on a special visa they leaves them in permanent limbo as "permanent temporary" residents. In other words they can stay permanently but they will forever be classed as temporary residents with the more limited rights and responsibilities that confers.

NZ citizens can apply for a full proper immigration visa like any other person but being a NZ citizen doesn't give them any advantage. Many who already have established lives in Australia can't get the points to qualify for a proper PR visa so their families are stuck on the 444 for their lifetime. I believe this situation is untenable.

Edited by Fish

The question is- Should a permanant resident of Australia attempt to chose not to live in Australia but rather move to NZ. Does he now have to go through a process of applying afresh for a NZ PR visa or can the australia PR visa stand him in any advantageous position in obtaining a NZ PR?

Hi

i have read somewhere that if you only come to Australia towards the end of your 5 year period after activation and you need to travel out of OZ you will have to apply for a Residents return visa and that will set you back R 10 000.00 per person. During the 5 years years you can travel on your visa that you have already.

all the best

You apply for your resident return visa normally in Australia. There is no need to travel out.

Hi

i have read somewhere that if you only come to Australia towards the end of your 5 year period after activation and you need to travel out of OZ you will have to apply for a Residents return visa and that will set you back R 10 000.00 per person. During the 5 years years you can travel on your visa that you have already.

all the best

Yes. You need a RRV after your initial visa has run its course (normally 5 years after issue). As a rule of thumb to get a RRV you have to have been in Australia for 2 years. (there are other ways of getting one, but are more complicated)

Cost is AUD 345

• Like 1

Yes. You need a RRV after your initial visa has run its course (normally 5 years after issue). As a rule of thumb to get a RRV you have to have been in Australia for 2 years. (there are other ways of getting one, but are more complicated)

Cost is AUD 345

Yes, that's another problem. They aren't just handing out RRV's with the sweeties anymore - they need concrete evidence that you are committed to Oz and that the fact you haven't got citizenship is an aberration that you intend to correct.

Sorry - up top I put it as Right to Return Visa - wrong name, of course, but it still shortens to RRV. :)

Sol - sorry - can't really answer your question about NZ PR visas, but I strongly suspect that to get any form of PR / citizenship, you'd have to jump through NZ hoops.

My initial answer up above was merely the first few thoughts that I had when you posed the question.