Once 189 visa is granted does main applicant have to enter Aus first

PhillipaD

Hi,

We are at the beginning of the application process and just want to plan things in my head if possible. I am the main applicant and my husband is added as the 2nd applicant. Once the visa is granted we are hoping he will be able to go to Aus first to find work and get a bit settled before I come with family. Is that possible? I have read both posts on the other forums saying it is and it is not possible?

Thanks

Hi Phillipa

It used to be quite common for a condition to be placed on the visa that required the primary applicant to enter first. However, this is not that common any more and I have not seen it recently for my South African visa applicants.

Whether it is made as a condition is at the discretion of the Case Officer, can I suggest that when you get a case officer you mention this so that they are aware.

Tee

• Like 2

We still had that condition when we got our visa last year, but that was the old 175 visa. So I had to enter first.

It's really interesting that this rule is changing. I wonder what the reasoning behind it is?

• 5 months later...

We are now applying for the 190 visa.

If all goes well, then we should get our visa in July 2015

My husband wants to go to Perth in February 2015 to look for work and hopefully get sponsored by a company.

If we get our 190 visa in July 2015 and my husband gets sponsored by a company in Perth before we get our 190 visa, then can he cancel the sponsorship by the company, because we will have our 190 visa???

Your comments will be appreciated

Hello Phillipa,

You can have as many visa applications in the system as you want but you can only have one visa active at one time.

If your husband is in Australia on a SC457 with a SC190 visa application in the system then once the SC190 visa is granted the SC457 will automatically cease.

This is quite a common scenario.

Regards

Just to check though, as i understand the latest visa always overwrites the current one, so if the 190 visa is granted and then the 457 is granted afterwards, the 457 will replace the 190?

I could see this happening if they were both in the application system at the same time?

That would make sense so it might be wrong :)

Seriously though i did a bit of a search and cant find anything confirming, i have however seen a few posts from time to time saying the latest visa replaces the current, so worth checking into if you think it may happen, just to be sure