Military Discharge

HFamily

I am finally starting to get all our docs together, and one of the forms mentioned in the 100 steps is the Military Discharge. I know that I have seen some information about this on the forum before, but for the life of me, I cant seem to find it... :blush:. Being blonde might be a contributing factor here :whome:. Is it really necessary to get one of these for my husband who only did his 1 year compulsory service back in 1990, and does anyone perhaps have any contacts who can assist?

Please help! :D

I am finally starting to get all our docs together, and one of the forms mentioned in the 100 steps is the Military Discharge. I know that I have seen some information about this on the forum before, but for the life of me, I cant seem to find it... :blush:. Being blonde might be a contributing factor here :whome:. Is it really necessary to get one of these for my husband who only did his 1 year compulsory service back in 1990, and does anyone perhaps have any contacts who can assist?

Please help! :D

I think you do need it Maximom. My husband did his 2 years ending in 86 & we got the discharge papers. I can't remember where any more, it was in Pretoria.

Hopefully someone can tell you.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

Thanks Bronwyn. I did a good old google search and it actually picked up the old post from the forum. I have sent an email to a couple of the addresses mentioned in the post, so hopefully someone will reply back to me with some good news. :ilikeit: There seems to be quite a few differing opinions on whether it is required or not, but I would rather be safe than sorry and have it in case.

• Like 1

got ours late last year so this info should still be good

E-mail all relevant details to sandfdoc@mweb.co.za

012 322 6351

012 392 3129

hope this helps

• Like 2

Hi maximom I did a years service in 93 and got the discharge certificate from Lourens Etchell his email address is lourensetchell@gmail.com There is a section on Form 80 where you have to fill in your national service dates so it would be better to have it in case the CO asks you for the info.

It seems strange that the contacts are on mweb or gmail addresses (I also dealt through a similar address), but you'd expect, if it's official, that it's be a .mil.za or something similar.

Makes it seem as if it's been farmed out to civvies.

• Like 1

It seems strange that the contacts are on mweb or gmail addresses (I also dealt through a similar address), but you'd expect, if it's official, that it's be a .mil.za or something similar.

Makes it seem as if it's been farmed out to civvies.

Yes Oubaas, that does seem very odd.

You don't need it I think, it says normal national service is exempt. In any event, the odds of getting the rabble that calls itself an army to give you a paper is slim IMHO

• Like 1

Maximom please let us know what you find out, it will be good to know if this has changed!

• Like 1

Hi, if it helps at all, try and approach your old reserve force unit (the one you were allocated to when you finished national service and went to camps with, and if they still exist) as they can supply you with the necessary letter. Alternatively, (the long process), approach the DOD directly against your particular formation i.e infantry formation, lof, personnel corps, tiffies, etc and make and appointment to go and see and get sorted. Emails sort of disappear into the ether.... but Ozpe's contact sounds like a good bet.

Shaugn

Failing being able to get what you need, a Statutory Declaration can be your friend (if the CO agrees).

• Like 1

I got mine but did not need it in the end... CO told me it was not necessary as it had been National Service and only one year... I seem to remember reading that the time spent is important?

• Like 2

I am eternally hopeful that it won't be necessary - my husband looked at me last night like I was on drugs when I mentioned that he might need it :wacko: . He can't even remember his force number or anything like that. I will email the agent now and find out what he thinks, but I like to be prepared in case it is needed.

Will keep you updated. Love this forum!!!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

We got for my husband but they never asked for it!

• 3 weeks later...

Letter was emailed to me this morning from the SANDF - quite impressed, only 5 week wait! Probably won't need it, but glad we have it anyway! :ilikeit: