Am soooooo over the scrubbing, varnishing, scrubbing, oiling, scrubbing

DXB2OZ

Movers come in less than two weeks. House looks like a hurricane swept through it. Camping chairs and tools have never been so clean. Half way through scrubbing the shoes (we have waaaay too many shoes). Varnishing, oiling or waxing every piece of wood that looks raw. Varnishing and vacuuming metal garden birds. Am bored now and really want to just run away and hide!

Only bit that I am enjoying is playing with a high pressure hose - that thing is seriously fun. Nice to have a bit of fun.

On the upside, hopefully will use up most of my stress on this part and the. Just proceed zombie like through the rest!

• Like 3

Thanks for a good laugh!

I think I'm going to convince the wife to let me get a high pressure hose too.... I just shoved all my tools through the dishwasher... they've never looked so clean... :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the bit of humour for the day!

Our cleaning process also commencing shortly...

Enjoy the playing...

Ooh sounds... HORRIBLE. Our turn is coming too!! :) Good luck with finishing off

Thanks for a good laugh!

I think I'm going to convince the wife to let me get a high pressure hose too.... I just shoved all my tools through the dishwasher... they've never looked so clean... :)

cleaning them in the dishwasher? That is brilliant !!!!

Thanks for a good laugh!

Do you mean things like screwdrivers & hammers??? Wow.

cleaning them in the dishwasher? That is brilliant !!!!

I thought it was but the wife took some convincing.... a nice dinner later and she was happy... :)

Do you mean things like screwdrivers & hammers??? Wow.

Yep, the lot.... except the tool boxes as they were too large... just washed those by hand... :)

• Like 2

if u are coming to Sydney make sure you bring new boots and warm clothes. i got quoted R 850 to resole and re heel my R 600 pair of boots .today.

• Like 1

i got quoted R 850 to resole and re heel my R 600 pair of boots .today.

lol that's funny. Shortly after we arrived our vacuum cleaner died. I diagnosed that it was a burnt out motor so still being in full Saffa mode I set out to do the blokey thing and have it repaired. It cost me $120 and took 3 weeks to get the motor rewound and I had to reassemble myself. You can imagine my shock the following weekend when I saw an ad on TV advertising a brand new vacuum cleaner with steam mop thrown in for $99!

Seems like it might be some noble idea to not take anything over, hehehe.

• Like 1

Bring your high pressure cleaner with! Best thing for cleaning anything and everything outside, I am currently in the process of cleaning paving, one cleaning job I enjoy.... my mind wanders and thinks about all sorts and I get great satisfaction once it all looks good!

lol that's funny. Shortly after we arrived our vacuum cleaner died. I diagnosed that it was a burnt out motor so still being in full Saffa mode I set out to do the blokey thing and have it repaired. It cost me $120 and took 3 weeks to get the motor rewound and I had to reassemble myself. You can imagine my shock the following weekend when I saw an ad on TV advertising a brand new vacuum cleaner with steam mop thrown in for $99!

Haha, yes - it's funny what a throwaway society we have here. Toaster broken? No problem! Chuck it out and buy a new one!

I tried to give away a perfectly good TV. Nobody wanted it. I really wish I could send these items to SA where you know somebody would really appreciate even a "broken" appliance...

Edited to add: come to think of it - imagine the mad panic SABC would have when a container load of "unlicensed" TVs turns up on SA shores... Falling over themselves to get those invoices out!

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 2

Woke up with a start around 3am wondering how am going to clean white "leather" desk chair and Christmas tree. Now roaming the house at 4am wondering how soon I can start without waking everyone.

Is it too early for the high pressure hose? ☺️

• Like 6

Woke up with a start around 3am wondering how am going to clean white "leather" desk chair and Christmas tree. Now roaming the house at 4am wondering how soon I can start without waking everyone.

Is it too early for the high pressure hose? ☺️

It's never too early for the high pressure hose... :)

• Like 1

The thought of cleaning and chucking is scaring me..... I guess it is good practice for living there :)

I always start at the far end of my house... The tidy end the no clutter end.... I get to the kitchen and then find an excuse to check on the forum..... He he.... Right now my lounge looks perfect.... It's what is behind me that is the concern.

Happy Easter weekend everyone.

• Like 1

Really do enjoy all these posts. A taste of what's to come! Thanks though for all the good tips.

Happy Easter to everyone x

Even the high pressure hose is starting to lose its appeal!!

10 days to go - then there is nothing more which can be done so panic will be futile! Can't wait. Going to celebrate "camping out" in an empty shell of a house with a visit to the hairdresser and a mani-pedi! It's either that or take up gin for breakfast and pampering is far more socially acceptable!

• Like 3

So, in the interests of "thoroughness", washed fluffy throws and hung out to dry in the lovely sunshine. At this point, Mother Nature showered her blessings - ie, the neighbour's tree showered seeds, leaves, blossoms and other bits of "nature" all over my nice, clean, nature-free throws. Sob!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Please tell us how far did you go with cleaning? We are srubbing from morning to night and they are coming to pack in two days, container coming on Friday. Are they really going to look for this one sand "korrel" stuck inbetween the rubber of my sneakers? Hubby is struggling with tools like the sanders. You can only take it apart so much to try and get to all the dust but some dust still visible.

Just dont know any more

High pressure hose!!

With the sander, we removed the sandpaper. For everything that could be washed, we washed, using a high pressure hose wherever possible (saved us hours). After drying, vacuum cleaner to remove any loose bits (vacuumed each pair of shoes inside and out, camping chairs, tools, metal birds...). I did sit with a toothpick picking grains of sand out of tools. Decorative metal with deliberate rust was varnished so all rust was sealed in completely (we used spar varnish like they do on boats because it is an outdoor varnish and strong). Raw wood was either varnished or oiled (ordinary varnish and teak oil). The bikes were scrubbed all over, polished with silicon spray, especially the types before being carried inside so no dirt got on the wheels. The golf clubs were vacuumed, scrubbed and polished, the bags as well. For golf shoes, the spikes were removed and scrubbed, the shoes scrubbed separately. The spikes were kept in a sealed plastic bag.

I don't know if we went too far, but I had read the horror stories, such as someone being charged several hundred dollars for cleaning two ordinary pairs of shoes which had dirt in them - not golf shoes or hiking shoes, but "normal" shoes. On top of the moving costs, having additional treatment costs would have been a bit much.

It seems to depend very much how they are on the day. But there is no guarantee. Good luck.

You'd swear there was no dirt in Australia ? I 'get' the rules, but it is a bit like not bringing liquids on planes (kinda useless).

Hi all,

Has anyone ever shipped a gas stove (free standing gas stove with electric oven) to Australia? It will be very sad if we can't move our 2year old Smeg to Aus with us. Even worse, if it gets confiscated. Then we would rather sell it here.

Also, has anyone ever heard of wooden furniture not being cleared at customs? What would be the reason?

Cheers!

Gas stove no clue, unfortunately. You can adapt a skottel (apparently - we brought ours, but not the gas bottle), so don't see why you wouldn't be able to. If it were me I would thoroughly investigate - would absolutely love a smeg!

Wood - visible bark, raw untreated wood, signs of insect damage all seem to be the red flag. Much of our wood was only oiled, not varnished and it wasn't a problem.

Thanks BXD2OZ,

Noted thanks, will make sure all the wooden furniture gets cleaned and oiled before we put them in the move cube!

I will do some research on the gas stove and report back...

Regards,