looking for medical aid that meets the 457 Visa requirements.

Hi all,

as I have mentioned on the forum that we are in the process of completing our 457 visa application.

A part of this process is that we would need to get private medical cover that meets the 457 Visa requirements.

Now we are a family of 4, mom, dad, three-year-old girl and one-year-old baby boy. For the first 6 to 12 months will be living on a single income and pretty tight budget.

So my question to you is that I am looking for a relatively good but affordable medical aid that meets the necessary requirements for the 457 Visa.

Thinking you in advance.

sean.

Iman and Bupa are probably the best known, but I have placed a link below, you can have a look and see what they offer and what you can afford.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=medical+insurance+for+457+visa&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=vFVMU9n7McLC8gfqiYHABg

medibank would be the equivalent of Discovery in RSA, and they are willing to give you a medical cover certificate before you arrive and before you start paying, so you can set it all up from that side, they are one of the more expensive medical aids but as per south africa, you get more options and larger limits compared to others,

My wife and i are on the hospital only cover (Cheaper of the 3), we did have the extras when we first started but i quickly figured out that you wont get close to your money's worth out of the extras, it is just wasting money so canned it and just have hospital now

http://www.medibank.com.au/client/staticpages/vchome.aspx

• Like 1

We had IMAN when we first came over & within 3 months I changed to BUPA, as IMAN decided to remove a whole lot of things from their basic cover & put the price up by about $40 a month (family of 4, basic + extras).

With BUPA I ended up paying less than the original IMAN price, with more things covered. They have always paid my claims quickly & even for things I didn't think I could claim for. They cover & refund for the PBS things, so the few times I've gotten prescriptions, those have been totally covered.

Both times we've had to visit the ER for stitches, I haven't paid a thing.

We never could afford Medical Aid in SA, only hospital plans, so I'm really happy with the way the 457 cover works.

We have always been with Medibank and I even worked for them for a while. We must have spent a small fortune with them (4 years on Visitor's cover then 3+ years on their top cover). I've also decided to downgrade now because the kids are finished with braces etc. We never even claimed 10% of what we spent in all those years!! But I guess that's just the nature of insurance. ? In general it's hard to justify top cover unless you are really going to use all the benefits or you have sporty kids that keep needing physio, breaking arms, etc. Also, it is very hard to get payouts for dental, no matter what cover you have, there always seems to be a big shortfall to pay in. By the way, you still pay the same family price, regardless of if you have no kids or 6.

It is a pain, but worth really thinking about what your family will use & shopping around accordingly. Bear in mind there are waiting periods on some services.

Yep, with fixed limits on extra's you are better off with a hospital plan and being self insured for the rest, like Bronwyn said, if you use all the cover every year you will get your moneys worth, otherwise you are paying more for the extra's than it would cost to just pay them directly.

So we put that saved money in our savings and if needed pay general out from there

Good to know, are IMAN & BUPA good for hospital cover too... .? Assuming that's all you need when you arrive, if you are generally healthy. We are on Discovery here.... What is everyone's general feel of whether you need a full private medical aid?

If you earn more than a certain amount you have to have to have private health cover or you pay a tax penalty so you will probably need at least a hospital plan

The "extras" cover which covers all the non hospital stuff are heavily capped, meaning that it is really not lightly that you will get more than what you paid in, the hospital cover is insurance but the extras is giving money away (from what we have found)

If you look at the amounts on the extra's it looks like you could get your money's worth, the problem is that when we got glasses they only paid half and that would have been enough to cover the absolute lowest special offer at the spec savers, i wanted something a bit nicer and had to pay in the same, then i went to the dentist and they only paid one third of that as they only cover certain stuff and only to certain limits (It is a cheap to middle of the road dentist - i phoned around),

If anyone had a different experience please let me know, we are thinking a kid, and even with one or 2 it still seems like it it is not worth the extra's cover, but if i'm missing something i would like to know

Nev we did benefit from the orthodontic cover a bit, because my daughter & husband had braces one after the other, but if I really sat & worked it out I'm not so sure because we got I think $600 a year back towards each of them. We never used the remedial massage either in all those years but if you make sure you go for your massages it helps. Only once my son had a chiro appointment & I got the cheapie Specsavers glasses without paying in. But our cover cost us thousands a year...

It is true you need at least a hospital plan to avoid extra tax.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

yea, that is what i found as well, if you can put some savings aside to cover that stuff & save the money you not paying in every month you really win by being self insured for the extras

In WA, at least, kids dental (not orthodontics) was done at school.

The woodwork teacher used to do it in his spare time since he had the tools. Drills, chisels, etc :) I jest, of course. How many people cringed, I wonder? Actually one of the schools had a dental clinic and you'd take your ankle biters to the place and fillings etc would be done "for free" or more correctly, at the taxpayers expense.

• 3 months later...

I am at the same point in my application fir the 457. I dont read a lot of good reviews of BUPA.

I am at the same point in my application fir the 457. I dont read a lot of good reviews of BUPA.

Medibank reviews are just as bad ? and still we stay with them...

IMAN pay just about everything. But bloody hell do they rip us for fees. We are on the Top Cover and for a family of 5 it's $1050 a month. It was $499 when we started out in 2010...But damn fine cover. We paid zero for our youngest to be born here, full private, room for me, food etc. Home pack, welcome pack etc.

I am going to go with bupa for now, as it will only be me until we get our PR in Dec/Jan. Now to choose the right package.....Gold or essential plus??? Please help....

The top one is rarely worth it ;)

Thanks Brownwyn&Co, have chosen the base one to get started.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

BUPA Visitors Essential Plus is the way to go. Very reasonably priced, although I have no idea what happens when you have to claim. I haven't done that yet!