visa without using agents?

AnchenHOCKLY

We are aiming for a state sponsorship with me being the primary candidate using my hairdressing qualification & experience..which is possible according to agents. But, is it more cost affective to bypass the agent and do it yourself via embassy? We were told that through an agent it would be at least R120,000 (over a period of 9-12months).

has anyone else gone over as a hairdresser on a state sponsorship?

Please, please share your story with us..?

Have you checked the sponsorship list. I have seen a similar thread on the pomsinoz site about a hair dresser and something about it not being on the list anymore?

Obviously to apply without an agent is cheaper. Just for clarification, you do not apply through the embassy but all immigration visas go through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

As Chzaau says above, are you sure hairdresser is still on the skills list?

• Like 1

I saw it on the CSOL list...http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/skilled-occupations-lists.aspx

I did not use an agent, but we had a straight forward application on a 189 visa. I have heard that the state sponsored visa's are a bit more tricky and can be very involved. Perhaps you should price different agents...R120 000 sounds high unless it includes the visa charges.

Good luck in your endeavours towards your goal!!

Hope you will find this community as great as I have.

• Like 1

Thanks all.

I spoke with agents 2 days ago at migrate2oz and my skill was still on the list. Will confirm with them again. Looks like things change quickly. I think using an agent is probably safer, this process is a lot more complicated than what I initially thought.

What happens if you're right in the middle of applying and suddenly your skill is not listed anymore? Do you just put it on ice? Or would you have to start over again if/when your skill is listed again?

I have a lot of questions. I should go see an agent personally :) (blush)

Hairdresser is still on some of the state sponsored lists.

If your skill goes off the list when in the middle of applying it depends where about in the application you have reached, and whether there are other options open for that occupation.

I managed to get my SS 190 visa without using an agent. It's not that difficult but you need to be very thorough.

• 3 weeks later...

We did not use an agent but also had a very "simple" 189 application. I would probably use an agent in your case?

We didn't use an agent. If you have the time and love reading and getting info ect. you can really do it yourself. I got everything I needed on THIS forum. "Checklist 100 steps to Immigrating to Australia" is worth so much. Futher more the people is SO helpful and will give you advise and support ALL THE WAY. The only reason our application takes so long is that we are not on the Skills Shortage lists and preferred the 175 Visa to other Visas. An agent couldn't have done it faster - maybe convinced us to go for another Visa, but I'm glad we didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

We had no agent.

• Like 1

I think we would be okay without an agent but for my sanity we decided to go through one. Costing us an additional R28000 odd goign through an agent

The R120 000 they mentioned is ALL included (assessment, agent fees, state sponsor app, IELTS, medicals, Visas, etc.). Im with the same agents ;-)