Is anyone from Durban busy with the new Pet Process ?

charmz

Hi All

Hope everyone is enjoying the Highs and Lows of this Journey :jester:

We have submitted our Application and went for Medicals on Friday.

I would like to start the process of ensuring that my Fur Child ( Savanna my 5 year old Siberian Husky) joins us in Oz.

Anyone in Durban (preferrably Upper Highway area) busy with this process?

Which Vet are you doing the process through?

Edited by charmz

Hi Charmz

We have had to make the tough decision not to take our baby fury girl - which has and will be the roughest part of this process (if we get our visa approved). The process takes around 7 months prior to departure at a cost we cannot afford. Besides the expense of getting her there we would be forced to find a pet friendly place when we arrive.

She luckily has a lovely lady who loves her as much as we do and will take her which helps the heavy heart a little.

Hope you manage to have a stress free time taking your pet over. Just double check as Ive heard that there is a alot of grey area with regard to the rule change. I have attached the response I got from 'moveapet'

Pets from South Africa only have to undergo 10 days quarantine on arrival in Australia, no longer 7 months between the 2 countries.

The strict procedure is to be started at least 7 months before departure and this time spent preparing them is done at home with you.

For New Zealand, there is also no South African quarantine period and only 10 days on arrival.

Pets then need to spend an additional 80 days in boarding in New Zealand before entering Australia with no quarantine on arrival.

The entry requirements are basically the same with 2 major differences (highlighted below)

The requirements are as follows –

Microchip

Valid Rabies & DHPPI for dogs (only considered valid if done after the implantation of the micro-chip)-these must be at least 6months old before entry into Aus. & New Zealand

30 days from date of vaccinations, the blood sample for a Rabies Neutralizing Antibody Titre Test can be taken and sent to Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute in Pretoria for testing-this test must be at least 6 months old (from the date the sample was taken) before entry into Aus.but only 3 months old before entry in New Zealand

The rest of the testing and treatments are done within the last 45 days before departure for Aus. but within 30 days before departure for New Zealand done on specific dates – which will be calculated and provided to you

Due to the timing of the tests, we would work with departure on a Wednesday.

The fees associated with entry into Aus. are approximately AUS$1350.00 for the Import Permit, for the 10 days quarantine and for the flight to Perth once released.

The fees associated with going via New Zealand first are approximately –NZ$4500.00 for the Import Permit, clearance on arrival, 10 days quarantine, 80 days boarding and onward flight to Brisbane

At the moment we are waiting for absolute confirmation from our Department of Agriculture if a private veterinarian must be approved first before the procedures can begin or if approval is only needed for the testing done within the last 45 days before departure.

This is currently a problem and causing delays with shipments as a longer period is needed to prepare for export, clients are experiencing a delays as still no shipping date can be guaranteed,

Whereas the actual NZ costs are more expensive, entry into Australia is guaranteed after the 3 months in New Zealand.

Petport are much cheaper - Keringa have added a 30 day boarding fee in SA...

Do I start the Vet process with any Vet or are there Vets specialized in this process ???

Really don't want my Girl to be turned away in Oz :blush-anim-cl:

• 4 weeks later...

The Karina 30day boarding fee is optional i'm opting for the last 7 Days instead with them to make sure all will be in order in terms of final blood tests and paperwork needed. They are really good and your loving girl will not be turned away in Oz as long as the steps are followed by your vet. I'm using Durban/Berea vet they are really good and my vet seems to know whats going on. The steps are really straight forward. Good Luck

• 1 month later...

Hi Coops - do you mind sending me a personal message for the name of your Vet please...

Hi Charmz

We ahven't started the process yet but when my husband took our daxie for her check-up at Hillcrest vet the ladies seemed to know about all that the process intails. Maybe give them a try, they are in Old Main Rd Cube house.

We are in Cape Town, so can't help with vets, but we printed out the step by step guide off the internet and our vet was happy to comply with all that was on there. He said they have done it before, but not since the new ruling changed beginning of this year.

Print the guide here

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs/step-by-step-guides/category-3-step-by-step-guide-for-dogs

Use this page and insert your date of travel. It will then give you a step by step guide and the dates when you need to do what with your dog. This way you know exactly when to do what according to your on travel plans

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs

Renny, I am also in Cape Town and will be taking my dog with to Oz at the end of the year. I was under the impression that injections and blood tests all had to be done by a state vet. I did a little bit of googling and found one in Somerset West. If my local vet can do it all, that would be wonderful!

Thanks for the links :)

Magenta...they talk about a Government approved vets that needs to scan the chips, do do the injections etc.....this is what the website says as the definition of a government vet:

Government approved/ accredited veterinarians work in clinical settings. They have been approved/ accredited by the government of the exporting country for the preparation (scanning for microchips, clinical inspections, collection of blood samples, treatments etc) of cats and dogs for export. They must prepare paperwork for presentation to the official government veterinarian to give them confidence that the export preparations have been performed in accordance with the import conditions.

My vet is in Durbanville, and they have done it before. The blood that they draw are sent to the "Official Government Veterinarian" Def: A veterinary officer usually employed by the competent authority (veterinary administration) in the exporting country. Official veterinarians generally do not work in a clinical setting. Official veterinarians are authorised to sign certificates on behalf of the government of the exporting country and have access to the government stamp.

They are situated in Onderstepoort. This was also confirmed by one of the pet transport companies we contacted. All the other checks are done by our local vet.

Let me know if you need other info. Also got a few quotes for the transport so long

Petport are much cheaper - Keringa have added a 30 day boarding fee in SA...

Do I start the Vet process with any Vet or are there Vets specialized in this process ???

Really don't want my Girl to be turned away in Oz :blush-anim-cl:

We have just brought our dog across under the new laws. Although all the paperwork was in order, the state vet in South Africa had omitted to list the type/make and active ingredient of one of the injections that she was given prior to leaving. Eastern Creek Quarantine station were very good, they contacted both the State Vet in SA and ourselves requesting the information. They also assured us that it would not hamper our dogs quarantine situation. They did however, charge us an additional fee for this inconvenience.

Good luck, it has been so worth it having our little mutt finally with us.

Hi there,

I am reading all of the posts here with great interest. We have decided to start the process of taking our beloved cat with us, even though he is 11 or 12, the vet in Hillcrest seems to think he is strong and healthy enough and why wouldn't you? I didn't need much persuasion!

I just wanted to check whether, by the sounds of things are you all doing this process yourselves, or using a pet relocation company? I'm just a bit anxious, being the Aus govt that I don't miss any loopholes.

Good luck to everyone x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jamie

Come accross this unanswered Query ... Sorry...

I have gone onto the IPATA website & trying to get Quotes from all registrered agents on their site.

Although the Agents are pretty much handling the flights & supplying a crate -

There seems to be an Export Customs Clearance on each agents Quote - which I FEAR trying to handle myself ...

Keringa seem to be the most organised with regards to having everything in line.

Colleen @ Hillcrest Vet Hospital seems to know the timing of processes pretty well...

We start our Rabies Vacination next weekend with Hillcrest Vet...

The Australian Quarantine price per day will be going up from $39/day to $149/day - NOW THATS A WORRYING FACTOR!

We just keep forking out... But no turning back at this stage... :closedeyes:

• 2 months later...

HI All ,

Hope everyone is doing well...

Back to the Pet Issue . . . I am about to apply for the import permit - but need a state vet to sign a RNATT declaration.

Anyone in Durban / Pietermaritzburg done this process yet?

I was told to go slap bang in the centre of Durban ... but DR Dhanilall is on a course for the next week and a half...

So trying to explore other options ...

Thanks for any feedback in advance :blush-anim-cl: