Expenses sheet

Gillian1

That's very helpful :)

Couple of questions though:

* Do you have groceries and clothes (other than school clothes) all covered under "Shopping"? Isn't that a bit tight? Not sure, just wondering.

* You don't watch TV? :) Maybe that's included somewhere else.

Hi PinkPanther

Valid comments. It was done by a friend of ours and we had asked him to do essentials so I think he left those two out. Shopping is just groceries and you're right no tv...that's kind of essential to me. Thanks for pointing those out, I'll ask him to give me an estimate for those as well.

TV in Australia is 15 (I think) free to air channels, no payment, no license required. If you want Foxtel you have to pay for it.

• Like 1

Do you pay rates if renting?

Also gas, electricity and water seem very high to me. We are a family of four that is not very careful with our power and water consumption and a bottle of gas lasts about 6 weeks at a cost of about $108. Water costs us about $100 every 4 months and electricity $220 every 2 months.

We dont have Foxtel so TV is free.

I dont know where you are going to live but the rent seems very high too at $540 per week.

$300 must be for a cheap used car with quite a big deposit.

Edited by Mikej

I'm obviously getting screwed on a couple of things or he just has very good bargain hunting skills.

Definitely need that Health Insurance provider's details

Edited by jpokennedy

We are with BUPA and have hospital cover with 'young-extras' this costs us $44 per month. Full cover not just hospital cover will cost much more.

Thanks so much for this post. We are in the process of working out budgets and this is extremely helpful!!

• Like 1

.We are a family of four that is not very careful with our power and water consumption and a bottle of gas lasts about 6 weeks at a cost of about $108.

15 Free TV channels sound pretty awesome to me, at least to start with until you're settled :)

Mikej, what is this "bottle of gas" you are talking about? :( Pardon my ignorance, but that makes me think of living in the boendoes ... that's the only frame of reference I have for when you would need a gas bottle! That, and a braai, of course.

Thanks again. We are in the process of drawing up some extensive spreadsheets and I'll share it as well once it's completed. My perception is that it is easier to "survive" in Australia versus South Africa if you are content to make do with the basics. But you pay a huge premium for any value-added/luxury items. Typical first world scenario.

15 Free TV channels sound pretty awesome to me, at least to start with until you're settled :)

Mikej, what is this "bottle of gas" you are talking about? :( Pardon my ignorance, but that makes me think of living in the boendoes ... that's the only frame of reference I have for when you would need a gas bottle! That, and a braai, of course.

My apologies I forget that we never used gas in SA.

Gas is really big in Australia I think most homes in or near towns or cities are on mains gas (gas piped to the home just like electricity). Gas is used in the home for the stove and heating water. There are even cars that run on gas, I don't know how many but it is not an insignificant figure. This is for WA I don't know how prevalent gas is in other states (go ahead take a dig).

I live a bit out of town and we are not on mains gas. We have 2 big gas bottles and when one runs out (roughly every 6 weeks) we call the gas company and they come and change it. People in or closer to town are linked to gas mains and they dont ever have to change bottles.

We don't even think about it it is just one of those things.

Yep, when I lived in Albany we had gas for the stove too.......but I haven't seen much of it this side, mostly electricity (QLD) and we had a tile fire in Albany too, but that might have been because we were in an older 70's house........man I loved that fire when it was on but hated chopping wood and cleaning it, we also had gas heating (piped not bottled) in Perth.

As far as expenses go, you can buy a basic kettle from Coles for $15 or you can buy a snazzy one for $150 at a high end shop, you can buy a tumble dryer for $400 or $1000, a vacuum cleaner for $99 of $900.....pretty much you buy what your budget dictates in the beginning and upgrade over time, much as my folks did when they arrived in RSA in the 80's.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

What is the cost for Foxtel per month?

I didn't see tax and medicare deductions on the sheet? Or did I look to quickly? Also working on a sheet so really helps comparing!

Are the essentials package on Foxtel any good?

Should I take school bags and school shoes for the kids or are these reasonably priced in Oz?

Should I take school bags and school shoes for the kids or are these reasonably priced in Oz?

You usually have to buy the standard school bag for that school -they are generally branded with the school logo and the colour will match the basic colour of the school uniform so don't worry about that.

School shoes -yes but be aware that if you are buying for a girl that sometimes the school has specific requirements for that - eg my daughter can only wear lace ups.

Also, if you are moving to Queensland kids may have the option of wearing sandals.

Too many variables, so I would say leave them. As mentioned above, the bags are usually specific. Our sons was reasonably priced and good quality from the school shop.

In terms of shoes, what they wear may vary by school - our son wears trainers to school. Track-suits in winter rather than a formal uniform.

Depends on the school really.

Are the essentials package on Foxtel any good?

Opinions will vary a lot. Some people love what's on offer, others hate it. On the whole I don't think foxtel is really worth the money, but I have it because of rugby. More than enough to watch on free to air, I think, but then again, I probably only watch TV for a couple of hours a week.
  • Like 1

I'd say if their school shoes still fit, pack them. If not don't bother to buy new unless you know which school they're going to be at & have checked what to buy. My children only wore takkies/trainers in primary school & they had to be 'predominantly white with non-marking soles'. Because they wore them for so much of the day & also for sport, we always tried to buy good light ones with inner support. By the time they outgrow them they are wrecked in any case. You can take a look at websites like Athlete's Foot and Footlocker for prices (may be worth rather buying them in SA)

@ HansaPlease,

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it :ilikeit:

* I am not a big TV guy myself, but would like to watch the rugby.

Edited by dmkza