Contributing Parent Visa

CSephton

Hi All!

My hubby and I + 2 kids, will be arriving in WA in November on our 190 Visa, so we will be PR as soon as we land:)

The question that I have is:

My parents also want to come over and as my Dad is only 52, he would still like to work. What is the best and fastest way to do this so that they have PR? Do we need to be in Aus for two years before they can come over on the Contributing Parent Visa? Also, my mom is a diabetic - will this be a problem?

Thanks again for all the help :)

Hi sorry I'm no big help but I would like to follow this thread because I'm interested in the same questions.

From what I have read is that the main child sponsoring the parents, must be settled in Aus and they see 2 or more years as being settled. Then also they need to have half or more of their real kids in Aus. In our situation my brother is already in Aus (citizen), so when we go over, my parents will have a child eligible to sponsor already there and we will fullfill the balance of familiy test by being in the country, thus they can apply immediately. It takes about 18 months for them to get the contributory visa....on this they have PR. can claim medical benefits, can work, can live where they want. This is the pricey visa....for two parents its about R1m...just went up from 1 Sept this year. If they want to go the cheaper route, then the wait is 10-15 years!!!!! They can go over so long on a long tourist visa, but would not be able to work

Not sure about the diabetes....have read some things on the forum, but did not take note. I think the medical condition depends on how serious it is and how much it will cost the government over their lifetime of living in AUS. Do not quote me on this :)

From what I have been advised, what Renny says is the same.

It would be great if someone who has recently been granted a Parent Visa could post their experiences.

My understanding is same as Renny's. we are applying for the CPV or at least my MIL is at the moment. We 15 months in and still no CO. So expect a 4 year wait in total after you arrive for your parents to get theirs.

I asked my agent the same thing and in a nutshell, they can definitely come on a parent visa and will have permanent residency when they land as well so all state benefits/obligations will apply as if you are an Australian citizen. Basic criteria is as follows:

More than 50% of your children must have PR and must have been residing in the country for minimum of two years to qualify for parent visa.

So if you are one of two kids and have been in Aus on PR for minimum two years they will qualify and costs are as Renny said, in the region of R1mill. Processing time is approximately 13 months. Can be more though but generally around there.

I just want to tell you this though. Even though the money is probably the biggest kicker and might put you off you have to view it objectively.

Many private services we pay for here in SA like medical, car insurance, security services, etc, will be costs you won't incur in Aus.

I did a very basic calculation and based on average medical aid expenses, retirement savings and insurance fees that are not really necessary or at least not at the levels we pay here, the visa will pay for itself from retirement age before the parents reach age 75. I worked on a very middle class family income and related average expenditure on above mentioned goods and services. So if you're the kind of person that make a move like this happen and your parents are also in the same category you should be able to do it with relative ease. Of course, you would unfortunately need that sort of capital to begin with though.

Medical conditions are reviewed on a case by case basis and they are all unique so unfortunately no clear answers there. However, the diabetes itself does not mean automatic disqualification. As Renny said it will be based on all sorts of factors.

I hope this helps

do a search on the forum for members RichtB and Maudei. They have both gone over on the CPV. Maudei arrived in Aug this year! If you read some of their posts or contact them you will get loads of info. They posted through-out their application process

If getting parents out of RSA isa major factor of the process, then immigrating to NZ may be a better option.