Visa Fees to double/triple from 1st July 2013

I wonder how many people are going to be excluded from being able to apply for a visa based on finance.

I don't think those that are already in the process will back out.

I personally think this will have a negative effect on the migration agents, as people may be very reluctant to pay the additional charges if they can help using an agent, as that would put them at over $10k for just the visa application process. (Apologies in advance for stepping on toes here :blush: )

Well we would have been. I don't think it has hit me just what an impact the charges will make to some of you guys in RSA until I read Tara's post and had to think in terms of 30 0r R40 000. It is just not fair....much easier for those earning pounds etc.

Andrea, this has had a massive impact on us, especially concerning the 457 as that visa went up from $400 to $900 for the applicant and now dependants have been added - $900 and $225 respectively, which would be a total of $2,250 for a family of four, so this visa more than doubled!

Not to mention that we would need to pay the below fees AGAIN after two years to secure PR, so our plans have changed drastically.

In order for us to come over on 186/187 and 189/190 PR visas is $3,060 + myself (18+ dependant) at $1,530 and 2x children at $765 each.

The Aus $ is now close on 9.8 (when credit card deductions are done) which means that us paying ($6,120) in Rands can look at nothing less than R58,000.00 to just submit the application! :cry:

I shudder when I think of those with more than two children, or those who have been waiting forever and now need to reapply.

• Like 1

WOW - thanks for this amazing heads up - I have a 189 invite and I've got 2 x >18 dependents - I was waiting on Tax refund to pay the application fee and apply - now I have to quickly submit the application and find the money before 1st July - hopefully I can squeak in and save the R30k.

I don't think those that are already in the process will back out.

I personally think this will have a negative effect on the migration agents, as people may be very reluctant to pay the additional charges if they can help using an agent, as that would put them at over $10k for just the visa application process. (Apologies in advance for stepping on toes here :blush: )

Not stepping on my toes TQO :angry2: :jester:

There will definitely be a negative effect to migration agents - but (hopefully?) there may be a positive one as well. I have had someone call me to say they had been going to do it themselves but there is just too much to loose if they get it wrong.

So hopefully the swings and roundabouts will balance it out for us eventually once the shock lessens.

My heart goes out to those who are not yet in a position to apply and those that these new charges will hit. There have always been changes that hit people in the process of migrating here, we were hit by changes ourselves whilst we were migrating here from South Africa and I totally understand the pain.

• Like 1

I can't help but feel extremely angry about this! I know we should be grateful that Australia is willing to let us in but on the other hand they are getting hard working, skilled people into their country, did they really need to up the fees quite so drastically?? Just so much easier if you were doing this with pounds, seems so unfair! Yes I know life is unfair etc. etc. :(

What make me mad is that i had an IELTS scheduled for 25 May 2013 and due to technical reasons on there side it was moved to 8 June 2013. Now I'm still waiting for results and will hopefully have it by 21 June 2013. If I'm getting all 7's i can submit my EOI (all other documents are ready except medicals) but the problem is that there are no more invites before the 1st July so no change of making the cutoff date.

So if there wasn't a problem on IELTS side everything would have been 2 weeks earlier and MAYBE i would have gotten an invite and still be able to finalize everything before the cutoff date.

Thats just IF i get all 7's so the blame can still be on my side also :(

As with everyone else, this has impacted our to-the-tee planning. We are a few weeks away from state nomination and invitation - taking us just past 1 July.

The "advantage" is that we're young and have no kids so would only add the $1500 odd to the already steep $3060. So another R15000 that needs to be allocated. Somewhere from

Our funds... which, after previous expenses, left us with exactly what we needed for the 3060. Sigh.

More dipping in to savings (should add wedding and honeymoon on the horizon) .. But by hook or by crook we will make it work. We're the lucky ones.

I feel terrible for the families that have been excited for the move and are now left having to pay double or triple what they'd planned for. It's no small change.

Commiserations all around. I wish I had some intelligent bit of advise for a loop around.

I can't even apply for 189 - my occupation isn't covered. But it's an option. I've heard it could come through in few days rather than weeks.

• Like 1

I think these increase are exceptionally high. The 457 will increase from $455 to $2250 for a couple with two kids.

This news was quite shocking for us.

We are a family of 5 and our costs are now going from $3060 to $6885, given this I don't think we are going to be able to afford to use a migration agent! With the rand deteriorating at such a rapid rate it's not looking good.

A friend of mine last night actually told me that if these charges affect their application (spousal visa) then they are probably not going to be able to go at all, which is really sad.

can't help kicking myself, thinking we should have started this process 3 years ago when we first considered it!

This news was quite shocking for us.

We are a family of 5 and our costs are now going from $3060 to $6885, given this I don't think we are going to be able to afford to use a migration agent! With the rand deteriorating at such a rapid rate it's not looking good.

A friend of mine last night actually told me that if these charges affect their application (spousal visa) then they are probably not going to be able to go at all, which is really sad.

can't help kicking myself, thinking we should have started this process 3 years ago when we first considered it!

Re your friend on the spouse visa - it looks as if the basic application charge for the primary applicant is to remain the same but that there will be additional applicant charges.

Offshore Partner $2680, additional adults $1,340, additional children <18 $670

wow...these increases are hectic! My symphaties to everyone who still has to apply

When we submitted our visa application it was $ 2080 which equated to around R 16 000

with the new prices and rand/AUD exchange rate, the visa app would have cost us more than R 60 000! I dont think we would have been able to afford that...

• 1 month later...

just started to look around here again after finally saving enough for the LSD, only to see this.

This is awful. We have 3 kids. It's going to cost us buckets more and it was already pricey :( :(

aiaiai :(

O gattapattata,

I did'nt bargain on those amounts either, oh well. If we get the visa it will be one of my better investments. Roll on baked beans and end-of-the-month salticrax snacks during the entire month for the next 10 months or so.....

• Like 1

For those who dont know the visa fees are increasing once again from 1st September by an extra 15%. This is as much as an extra $500 for skilled visas and $6000 for Contributory parental Visas. This pushes the CPV to nearly $50000.

See http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/40684-visa-application-charge-increases-1st-september/ for details