Visa Fees to double/triple from 1st July 2013

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

DIAC have announced the new visa application charges as of 1st July 2013.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/new-visa-charges-1july2013/proposed-visa-pricing-table.htm

Whilst the base applicant charge remains the same DIAC have introduced charges for additional applicants included in some visa applications. For example, for 189/190 & 186/187 applicants that means a base charge of $3060 plus additional charges of $1530 for additional applicants >18 and $765 for additional applicants <18 years of age.

Edited by TeeTMI

It was expected ... just sucks for those of us who won't be able to apply before 1 July :(

Ouch, we just snuckin, saved 3060 $

Yep, it is double - it would have been nice if they eased into things with a price hike first, but double! That is really breaking the bank!

:cry::cry::cry:

Firstly TRA tripled in cost and now this...

So dissappointing!!!

Throws our timeline completely out . . . .

Oh my goodness, this is hectic. I agree, they could have eased into things, now this. Shame, good luck to everyone who still has to apply!

Eish!

I wonder if the HUGE increase is to help get the budget back into surplus, or to pay for offshore detention costs, either way it is a lot of money when you consider the hundreds of thousands of visa applications each year, from tourist, working holiday, student, right through to workers and retirees.

• Like 1

Shew!! Yip there goes our timeline too!! Anybody know how long WA sponsorship takes? Just maybe we can squeeze in my the 1st. Very doubtful though :cry:

Probably Andrea .... together with the rising costs of the immigrants that arrive by boat each year ---- http://www.bigpondmoney.com.au/illegal-boat-arrivals-what-it-really-costs

Exactly, look how DIAC has doubled the asylum budget.

The use of the term "illegal" is what the press and politicians in particular use to elicit emotive responses from the public as these people are not illegal, but asylum seekers, an illegal is someone in the country who has overstayed their visa or does not have a visa

he Australian Press Council Advisory Guidelines, indicate that the

media should make it clear that unauthorised boat arrivals, "without a

visa are entitled to seek asylum and, in practice, almost all of them do

so. If the Government’s initial processing suggests they may have a

valid case, they are classified as "asylum seekers" and allowed to stay

in Australia while the claim is being finally determined. They remain

"unlawful non-citizens" until their claim is approved (whereupon they

get a permanent protection visa) or they receive a "bridging visa"

pending finalisation of their claim. If their claim is rejected, they

have not committed an offence but are liable to deportation.".

Shew!! Yip there goes our timeline too!! Anybody know how long WA sponsorship takes? Just maybe we can squeeze in my the 1st. Very doubtful though :cry:

Unfortunately you would only pay the application fee after being invited to apply. As far as I can see the last round of invitations before the 1st July will be on Monday, so good luck to anyone in the EOI queue at the moment.

For anyone else looking at WA, remember also they are changing how they process sponsorship requests as of the 1st July.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you would only pay the application fee after being invited to apply. As far as I can see the last round of invitations before the 1st July will be on Monday, so good luck to anyone in the EOI queue at the moment.

For anyone else looking at WA, remember also they are changing how they process sponsorship requests as of the 1st July.

If we get state sponsorship wouldn't we get an automatic invite? It really is doubtful but all we need is the ielts results and everything is ready to send to WA. If state sponsorship takes no more than 7 days ( as it says on their website), we should just get it in by the 1st. Haha cutting it very fine, but worth a try!

• Like 1

Could they make it any more difficult for South Africans to get to Australia? :boxing:

Yip, this seriously sucks, had to change our budget this morning to include these new charges.. :(

If we get state sponsorship wouldn't we get an automatic invite? It really is doubtful but all we need is the ielts results and everything is ready to send to WA. If state sponsorship takes no more than 7 days ( as it says on their website), we should just get it in by the 1st. Haha cutting it very fine, but worth a try!

If the invite comes through in time definitely - you would need to have paid the visa application fee before the 1st July.

Oh dear. We would definitely not make it by then! Should only get skills assessment results end of July.

*sigh* It's all so expensive!

Thanks for the info.

This forum really needs a dislike button in times like these. :cry:

• Like 2

Yikes, this is a double whammy for people struggling in difficult economic times. In true Orwellian double-speak, the FAQ section on the website includes a question about why this new fee structure was necessary. Answer? "The pricing restructure will bring Australia's visa pricing in line with similar countries such as Canada, the United States of America and the United Kingdom".

In other words, we want to bring our gouging up to par with the others.....i.e. no real rationale at all.

Don't mind me. I'm just irritated cos my brother and family are just starting their [presumably long] process and now it's going to cost them BIG $$$$. With the exchange rate as it is. And I betcha the processing outcomes don't change one bit.

:angry:

UPDATE

I went to the US gov travel website to look up their permanent migration application fees. http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html#perm (Scroll down to the permanent migration section). According to that, the fee is per applicant. So, if a family of four did the employer-based application, it would cost $405 x 4 = $1,620. If it was a family reference application, $230 x 4 = $920

I'm puzzled. How is the new Australian visa pricing "in line" with this? :blink:

Anyone here who's done the US thing - could you comment?

It's enough to want to call out the A-Team....

Edited by ronfire

@PaulvM - I hear ya!

But as another forumite said to me on my status remarks, "it is an extra R30-R40k for a better life, and a lifetime of happiness" ....
Very hard pill to swallow, but in hindsight, it does make sense, and we mustn't....cannot lose hope! We just have to keep on moving forward... One bite of the elephant at a time.

--- It has affected our budget and timeline so much so that our entire visa plan has altered.

Someone once said the harder your journey to Oz, the better you will settle once you land and the simpler your life will be ...

Hang in there buddy, and know that you are not alone!

• Like 1

9.5 weeks now waiting for Vetassess. OUr agent is hoping we hear by end of the month so we can get our state sponsorship in before 1 July. Oy! Best we start saving our pennies in case!!!

I wonder how many people are going to be excluded from being able to apply for a visa based on finance.

Well we would have been. I don't think it has hit me just what an impact the charges will make to some of you guys in RSA until I read Tara's post and had to think in terms of 30 0r R40 000. It is just not fair....much easier for those earning pounds etc.